Mike Y

I seem to have an issue with my T43 and WiFi

It's working fine. Here at breakfast with the laptop on the table.

Works fine at work, the laptop on a bench, even it the lab or conference
room, maybe 150 feet from a LinkSys access point.

But... I move into the bathroom (ok, I like to read the news while I'm
stuck there for a bit) it shows connected but just won't work. In the
living room, again, shows connected but just won't work.

At first I thought it was something to do with my router, since it's a 'b'
and all the stuff at work is a 'g', but now I think it's power. in the
kitchen I plug into the charger since I also leave it plugged into a
WinRadio G305e

I'm going to try to make up a better failure matrix, but has anyone seen an
issue where the thing won't work as well on battery as it does on AC? But
only on 'b'?

Mike

Mike Y

It's Power... AC unplugged it also fails on the kitchen table...

So, it's just 'b' at home on battery that fails. I seem to recall at one
customer site I had problems and it was some time ago, but I didn't think
they were 'b'. Maybe it's just that my 'g' at work is really robust. But I
show almost 100% strength at home here

"Mike Y" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:7RpBq.579$(E-Mail Removed)...
>I seem to have an issue with my T43 and WiFi
>
> It's working fine. Here at breakfast with the laptop on the table.
>
> Works fine at work, the laptop on a bench, even it the lab or conference
> room, maybe 150 feet from a LinkSys access point.
>
> But... I move into the bathroom (ok, I like to read the news while I'm
> stuck there for a bit) it shows connected but just won't work. In the
> living room, again, shows connected but just won't work.
>
> At first I thought it was something to do with my router, since it's a 'b'
> and all the stuff at work is a 'g', but now I think it's power. in the
> kitchen I plug into the charger since I also leave it plugged into a
> WinRadio G305e
>
> I'm going to try to make up a better failure matrix, but has anyone seen
> an issue where the thing won't work as well on battery as it does on AC?
> But only on 'b'?
>
> Mike

~misfit~

Somewhere on teh intarwebs Mike Y wrote:
> It's Power... AC unplugged it also fails on the kitchen table...
>
> So, it's just 'b' at home on battery that fails. I seem to recall at
> one customer site I had problems and it was some time ago, but I
> didn't think they were 'b'. Maybe it's just that my 'g' at work is
> really robust. But I show almost 100% strength at home here

You can right-click 'My Computer', click 'Properties', then 'Hardware', then
'Device Manager'. If you find your wireless adapter on the list (right-click
for properties again) you can likely drill down to a setting that reduces
transmit power when on battery. Change that and you should be free to crap
and surf at the same time!

Good luck,
--
Shaun.

cozy little classification in the DSM."
David Melville (in r.a.s.f1)

> "Mike Y" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:7RpBq.579$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> I seem to have an issue with my T43 and WiFi
>>
>> It's working fine. Here at breakfast with the laptop on the table.
>>
>> Works fine at work, the laptop on a bench, even it the lab or
>> conference room, maybe 150 feet from a LinkSys access point.
>>
>> But... I move into the bathroom (ok, I like to read the news while
>> I'm stuck there for a bit) it shows connected but just won't work. In the
>> living room, again, shows connected but just won't work.
>>
>> At first I thought it was something to do with my router, since it's
>> a 'b' and all the stuff at work is a 'g', but now I think it's
>> power. in the kitchen I plug into the charger since I also leave it
>> plugged into a WinRadio G305e
>>
>> I'm going to try to make up a better failure matrix, but has anyone
>> seen an issue where the thing won't work as well on battery as it
>> does on AC? But only on 'b'?
>>
>> Mike

Mike Y

news:jb6cr1$1co$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Somewhere on teh intarwebs Mike Y wrote:
>> It's Power... AC unplugged it also fails on the kitchen table...
>>
>> So, it's just 'b' at home on battery that fails. I seem to recall at
>> one customer site I had problems and it was some time ago, but I
>> didn't think they were 'b'. Maybe it's just that my 'g' at work is
>> really robust. But I show almost 100% strength at home here

> You can right-click 'My Computer', click 'Properties', then 'Hardware',
> then 'Device Manager'. If you find your wireless adapter on the list
> (right-click for properties again) you can likely drill down to a setting
> that reduces transmit power when on battery. Change that and you should be
> free to crap and surf at the same time!
>
> Good luck,
> --
> Shaun.

It something with the the power management. I tried changing the value
manually while on AC and if I take it off the 'use default' setting, I get
the same behavior.

I have to change it to max performance and it works, AC or batteries

Now to wander around the house, and the bathroom, and check it out!

Thanks

Mike

~misfit~

Somewhere on teh intarwebs Mike Y wrote:
> "~misfit~" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:jb6cr1$1co$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Somewhere on teh intarwebs Mike Y wrote:
>>> It's Power... AC unplugged it also fails on the kitchen table...
>>>
>>> So, it's just 'b' at home on battery that fails. I seem to recall
>>> at one customer site I had problems and it was some time ago, but I
>>> didn't think they were 'b'. Maybe it's just that my 'g' at work is
>>> really robust. But I show almost 100% strength at home here

>> You can right-click 'My Computer', click 'Properties', then
>> 'Hardware', then 'Device Manager'. If you find your wireless adapter
>> on the list (right-click for properties again) you can likely drill
>> down to a setting that reduces transmit power when on battery.
>> Change that and you should be free to crap and surf at the same time!
>>
>> Good luck,

> It something with the the power management.

I know.

> I tried changing the
> value manually while on AC and if I take it off the 'use default'
> setting, I get the same behavior.
>
> I have to change it to max performance and it works, AC or batteries

Great, the desired outcome then?

> Now to wander around the house, and the bathroom, and check it out!
>
> Thanks

No problems. As you havent posted back I take it that you managed to get it
sorted?

(I've noticed in all of my years with usenet that people only tend to post
when they need help and often don't give feedback as to wether the proposed
fix *did* in fact sort the problem. Shame as others can search instead of
asking the same question and, if the fix did as required, they then don't
need to ask the same question. <g>)
--
Shaun.

cozy little classification in the DSM."
David Melville (in r.a.s.f1)

Best,

Mike Y

> No problems. As you havent posted back I take it that you managed to get
> it sorted?
>
> (I've noticed in all of my years with usenet that people only tend to post
> when they need help and often don't give feedback as to wether the
> proposed fix *did* in fact sort the problem. Shame as others can search
> instead of asking the same question and, if the fix did as required, they
> then don't need to ask the same question. <g>)
> --
> Shaun.

Yep, it works. Thanks. But it changes itself back when I reboot...

Then I got a 'reset' after an upgrade yesterday and the system wouldn't boot
anymore. I had to go into safe mode and restore from 2 days ago.

I've been having cable problems here too since August. After REALLY
complaining a 'super tech' came out here yesterday afternoon. Replaced my
splitter amp as a precaution, said my tap on the pole was out of spec (that
STILL needs fixed but that's a line problem) and told me my modem was 'out
of date' and replaced it. I'm now running downloads at 4 times the speeds I
used to with speed test and 3 times the upload speed. And that's from my
laptop running 'b'. Now when they get my line up to snuff, I should be
cooking with gas!

Oh, what started the bitching with the cable company was tiling on the TV,
and the fact that I couldn't get the cable box to init when the it was
routed through my Sony AV system. Even with the line still an issue, I
reconfigured and now everything is through the AV system with a single cable
(HDMI enhanced) from the AV system to the TV.

~misfit~

Somewhere on teh intarwebs Mike Y wrote:
>> No problems. As you havent posted back I take it that you managed to
>> get it sorted?
>>
>> (I've noticed in all of my years with usenet that people only tend
>> to post when they need help and often don't give feedback as to
>> wether the proposed fix *did* in fact sort the problem. Shame as
>> others can search instead of asking the same question and, if the
>> fix did as required, they then don't need to ask the same question.
>> <g>) --
>> Shaun.
>>

> Yep, it works. Thanks. But it changes itself back when I reboot...

Bugger! Can't have that. Try to see if you can change it in BIOS. Maybe the
OS is taking instructions from BIOS?

> Then I got a 'reset' after an upgrade yesterday and the system
> wouldn't boot anymore. I had to go into safe mode and restore from 2
> days ago.
> I've been having cable problems here too since August. After REALLY
> complaining a 'super tech' came out here yesterday afternoon. Replaced my
> splitter amp as a precaution, said my tap on the pole was
> out of spec (that STILL needs fixed but that's a line problem) and
> told me my modem was 'out of date' and replaced it. I'm now running
> downloads at 4 times the speeds I used to with speed test and 3 times
> the upload speed. And that's from my laptop running 'b'. Now when
> they get my line up to snuff, I should be cooking with gas!
>
> Oh, what started the bitching with the cable company was tiling on
> the TV, and the fact that I couldn't get the cable box to init when
> the it was routed through my Sony AV system. Even with the line
> still an issue, I reconfigured and now everything is through the AV
> system with a single cable (HDMI enhanced) from the AV system to the
> TV.

Cheers,
--
Shaun.

cozy little classification in the DSM."
David Melville (in r.a.s.f1)

Tom Rutherford

news:jbhc11$d1h$(E-Mail Removed)...

> (I've noticed in all of my years with usenet that people only tend to post
> when they need help and often don't give feedback as to wether the
> proposed fix *did* in fact sort the problem. Shame as others can search
> instead of asking the same question and, if the fix did as required, they
> then don't need to ask the same question. <g>)

(OTOH, there are E-mail lists I've seen [maybe even USENET newsgroups] where
the "thank you" message is discouraged, because it "clutters" the
list/newsgroup. I don't agree with this, frankly. I was taught to express
gratitude when somebody helped me out.)

"She said it was either her or the ham radio. Over."

~misfit~

Somewhere on teh intarwebs Tom Rutherford wrote:
> "~misfit~" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:jbhc11$d1h$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>> (I've noticed in all of my years with usenet that people only tend
>> to post when they need help and often don't give feedback as to
>> wether the proposed fix *did* in fact sort the problem. Shame as
>> others can search instead of asking the same question and, if the
>> fix did as required, they then don't need to ask the same question.
>> <g>)

> (OTOH, there are E-mail lists I've seen [maybe even USENET
> newsgroups] where the "thank you" message is discouraged, because it
> "clutters" the list/newsgroup. I don't agree with this, frankly. I
> was taught to express gratitude when somebody helped me out.)

Ok, I've not seen that practice in any of the groups that I frequent.

I don't mention it because I desire thanks, I mention it only as a definate
closure for the thread / topic, so that anyone searching for a solution to
the same problem, finding the thread, isn't left wondering whether the fix
worked.

Also, as in this instance, if I've taken the time to think something through
and suggest a solution *I* want to know if it worked too. T'is only human
nature no? Who wants to offer advice only to /not/ know if it was useful?
<shrug> As mentioned, it's not praise or thanks that I'm interested in, only
results (or lack thereof).

Cheers,
--
Shaun.

cozy little classification in the DSM."
David Melville (in r.a.s.f1)

Tom Rutherford

news:jbotdq$klh$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Somewhere on teh intarwebs Tom Rutherford wrote:
>> "~misfit~" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:jbhc11$d1h$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>
>>> (I've noticed in all of my years with usenet that people only tend
>>> to post when they need help and often don't give feedback as to
>>> wether the proposed fix *did* in fact sort the problem. Shame as
>>> others can search instead of asking the same question and, if the
>>> fix did as required, they then don't need to ask the same question.
>>> <g>)

>> (OTOH, there are E-mail lists I've seen [maybe even USENET
>> newsgroups] where the "thank you" message is discouraged, because it
>> "clutters" the list/newsgroup. I don't agree with this, frankly. I
>> was taught to express gratitude when somebody helped me out.)

> Ok, I've not seen that practice in any of the groups that I frequent.

It's rare, but it happens. I've been recently seeing this on a list
concerning an organization that distributes Talking Books for the blind and
physically handicapped. For some reason, there are several individuals who
consider exchanges of pleasantries as "clutter". As has been mentioned on
the list several times, anyone who doesn't want to read that stuff can
delete it from their Inbox. Quick, easy, no muss, no fuss. But, even the
moderators try to keep "clutter" down. Sheesh.

> I don't mention it because I desire thanks, I mention it only as a
> definate closure for the thread / topic, so that anyone searching for a
> solution to the same problem, finding the thread, isn't left wondering
> whether the fix worked.

I agree with you. I've seen some forum threads that peter out right after a
solution is posted, but there's no follow-up.

> Also, as in this instance, if I've taken the time to think something
> through and suggest a solution *I* want to know if it worked too. T'is
> only human nature no? Who wants to offer advice only to /not/ know if it
> was useful? <shrug> As mentioned, it's not praise or thanks that I'm
> interested in, only results (or lack thereof).

Of course. The vote of appreciation isn't essential, but it is nice, you
have to admit. :-)