Win 98 on a P4RC350 ??

Jeff Sellers

Hi Group !

I've got a Soyo P4RC350 and am trying to build a system for my son. It has
an 8 gig hd and 512mb of ram.

I get all the way through the process of installing Win 98 to the point
where it restarts the computer to start 98 for the first time. The machine
locks up with a text only screen that says

"while initializing device NDIS: Windows protection error. You need to
restart your computer" A restart will come back to the same thing.

I can get it to start in Safe Mode, but then I have no CD drive to install
the Soyo disk with.....

I have Loaded Optimized Settings in the BIOS per the manual, I also tried it
without doing this.
I also tried loading the Failsafe Settings.....Same thing again.

I've booted from a 98 startup floppy, I've reformatted and installed again,
all with the same end result. WTF >????

Anyone know what this NDIS device is or what ?????

Thanks for ANY insight....

Jeff

Rob Hemmings

"Jeff Sellers" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi Group !
>
> I've got a Soyo P4RC350 and am trying to build a system for my son. It has
> an 8 gig hd and 512mb of ram.
>
> I get all the way through the process of installing Win 98 to the point
> where it restarts the computer to start 98 for the first time. The machine
> locks up with a text only screen that says
>
> "while initializing device NDIS: Windows protection error. You need to
> restart your computer" A restart will come back to the same thing.
>
> I can get it to start in Safe Mode, but then I have no CD drive to install
> the Soyo disk with.....
>
> I have Loaded Optimized Settings in the BIOS per the manual, I also tried

it
> without doing this.
> I also tried loading the Failsafe Settings.....Same thing again.
>
> I've booted from a 98 startup floppy, I've reformatted and installed

again,
> all with the same end result. WTF >????
>
> Anyone know what this NDIS device is or what ?????
>
> Thanks for ANY insight....

If the soyo has a CPU faster than 2.1 GHz, then look here:
http://support.intel.com/support/mot.../CS-008712.htm
and here:
This driver problem only affects Win95 & 98 and was fixed in Win98SE.
HTH
--
Rob

Jeff Sellers

Thanks Rob, that gives me alot more to go on.....

"Rob Hemmings" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:cu85c2$5kb$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Jeff Sellers" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Hi Group !
>>
>> I've got a Soyo P4RC350 and am trying to build a system for my son. It
>> has
>> an 8 gig hd and 512mb of ram.
>>
>> I get all the way through the process of installing Win 98 to the point
>> where it restarts the computer to start 98 for the first time. The
>> machine
>> locks up with a text only screen that says
>>
>> "while initializing device NDIS: Windows protection error. You need to
>> restart your computer" A restart will come back to the same thing.
>>
>> I can get it to start in Safe Mode, but then I have no CD drive to
>> install
>> the Soyo disk with.....
>>
>> I have Loaded Optimized Settings in the BIOS per the manual, I also tried

> it
>> without doing this.
>> I also tried loading the Failsafe Settings.....Same thing again.
>>
>> I've booted from a 98 startup floppy, I've reformatted and installed

> again,
>> all with the same end result. WTF >????
>>
>> Anyone know what this NDIS device is or what ?????
>>
>> Thanks for ANY insight....

> If the soyo has a CPU faster than 2.1 GHz, then look here:
> http://support.intel.com/support/mot.../CS-008712.htm
> and here:
> This driver problem only affects Win95 & 98 and was fixed in Win98SE.
> HTH
> --
> Rob

P4RC350 Locking up when powering off Win XP Pro NasDamus Soyo 0 09-13-2005 05:44 PM
soyo p4rc350 - ps2 mouse port died ... valkiriy_jar Soyo 0 07-07-2005 02:21 PM
BOOT FAILS: sy-p4rc350 and Adaptec SCSI (only one disk) valkiriy_jar Soyo 1 06-30-2005 12:54 PM
SY-P4RC350 USB 2.0 problems kck Soyo 0 02-24-2005 02:27 AM
P4RC350 Video out Question Norm Soyo 0 02-06-2005 07:27 PM