Win XP cannot detect new SATA drives

morrisrh@rcn.com

Any help appreciated with the following problem:

I have a D975xbx board with my C (boot) drive connnected to a SATA
port. I am running in IDE mode. I installed 2 additional SATA
drives.On my ATA bus I only have a CD ROM/DVD drive, no hard drives.

When I booted after install the BIOS saw the drives, and windows on
startup flashed a new disk drive found message but no prompt to
format. In explorer, these drives are not seen. In control panel,
under drivers, these drives are seen and under properties commands it
says the drivers are operating normally. I assume these are windows
drivers as I got no drivers with the drives (Seagate 500GB SATA).
However I have no letters assigned to drives and cannot get explorer
to see them or prompt to format.

Do I need to switch to SATA mode or install other drivers ??? Thx for
any and all help. Rick

MyndPhlyp

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> Any help appreciated with the following problem:
>
> I have a D975xbx board with my C (boot) drive connnected to a SATA
> port. I am running in IDE mode. I installed 2 additional SATA
> drives.On my ATA bus I only have a CD ROM/DVD drive, no hard drives.
>
> When I booted after install the BIOS saw the drives, and windows on
> startup flashed a new disk drive found message but no prompt to
> format. In explorer, these drives are not seen. In control panel,
> under drivers, these drives are seen and under properties commands it
> says the drivers are operating normally. I assume these are windows
> drivers as I got no drivers with the drives (Seagate 500GB SATA).
> However I have no letters assigned to drives and cannot get explorer
> to see them or prompt to format.
>
> Do I need to switch to SATA mode or install other drivers ??? Thx for
> any and all help. Rick

Start => Settings => Control Panel => Administrative Tools

Run Computer Management

In the Storage section, click Disk management.

Your new drive will be displayed there, probably unformatted but most
definitely without drive letters. This is where you get to define
partitions, format, and set drive letters.

DaveW

Windows XP, prior to SP 2 , did NOT include Windows SATA drivers for the OS.
So during the startup of XP installation you will see a fast screen that
says to insert a Floppy and press F6 in order to install any 3rd party
drivers that Windows will require. On the Floppy you will have previously
created, you will have installed the SATA drivers copied from your
motherboard's installation CD.

--
---------------------
DaveW

---------------------
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> Any help appreciated with the following problem:
>
> I have a D975xbx board with my C (boot) drive connnected to a SATA
> port. I am running in IDE mode. I installed 2 additional SATA
> drives.On my ATA bus I only have a CD ROM/DVD drive, no hard drives.
>
> When I booted after install the BIOS saw the drives, and windows on
> startup flashed a new disk drive found message but no prompt to
> format. In explorer, these drives are not seen. In control panel,
> under drivers, these drives are seen and under properties commands it
> says the drivers are operating normally. I assume these are windows
> drivers as I got no drivers with the drives (Seagate 500GB SATA).
> However I have no letters assigned to drives and cannot get explorer
> to see them or prompt to format.
>
> Do I need to switch to SATA mode or install other drivers ??? Thx for
> any and all help. Rick

Eric Gisin

Bullshit. All Intel chipsets use the IDE driver (atapi.sys) for SATA&PATA.

"DaveW" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
> Windows XP, prior to SP 2 , did NOT include Windows SATA drivers for the OS.
> So during the startup of XP installation you will see a fast screen that
> says to insert a Floppy and press F6 in order to install any 3rd party
> drivers that Windows will require. On the Floppy you will have previously
> created, you will have installed the SATA drivers copied from your
> motherboard's installation CD.

MyndPhlyp

"DaveW" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
> Windows XP, prior to SP 2 , did NOT include Windows SATA drivers for the

OS.
> So during the startup of XP installation you will see a fast screen that
> says to insert a Floppy and press F6 in order to install any 3rd party
> drivers that Windows will require. On the Floppy you will have previously
> created, you will have installed the SATA drivers copied from your
> motherboard's installation CD.

If the OP wishes to use MB RAID capabilities, yes, but not for JBOD.

Nate Edel

MyndPhlyp <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> "DaveW" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > Windows XP, prior to SP 2 , did NOT include Windows SATA drivers for the
> > OS. So during the startup of XP installation you will see a fast screen
> > that says to insert a Floppy and press F6 in order to install any 3rd
> > party drivers that Windows will require. On the Floppy you will have
> > previously created, you will have installed the SATA drivers copied from
> > your motherboard's installation CD.

> If the OP wishes to use MB RAID capabilities, yes, but not for JBOD.

May depend on the BIOS settings; my wife's new laptop (Dell Latitide D630)
came with the SATA set to AHCI mode in the BIOS, and a Dell XP SP2 disk
didn't recognize it or the drives. Switching the BIOS to ATA fixed it.

--
Nate Edel http://www.cubiclehermit.com/
preferred email | "With all the accumulated wit and wisdom in the

Bill Davidsen

Eric Gisin wrote:
> Bullshit. All Intel chipsets use the IDE driver (atapi.sys) for SATA&PATA.

That's not correct. Intel BIOS can use ACPI or ATA for access, and
chipsets seem to support that, but you have the whole "uses" thing
backward, the chipset uses nothing, the user set the BIOS, the OS used
the driver, the driver users the chipset interface selected by the BIOS,
etc, etc.

> "DaveW" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
>> Windows XP, prior to SP 2 , did NOT include Windows SATA drivers for
>> the OS. So during the startup of XP installation you will see a fast
>> screen that says to insert a Floppy and press F6 in order to install
>> any 3rd party drivers that Windows will require. On the Floppy you
>> will have previously created, you will have installed the SATA drivers
>> copied from your motherboard's installation CD.

--
Bill Davidsen
He was a full-time professional cat, not some moonlighting
ferret or weasel. He knew about these things.