Will Win98 run on a FIC PA-2002?

Boon

For nostalgic fun I bought some memory for a FIC PA-2002 that's been in the
garage for years, to try installing Win98 with 96MB of memory. For all
combinations of BIOS versions and settings that I tried, either memtest86
failed or Win98 was unstable, unless I ran with external cache disabled. I
think the actual cache hardware is OK because it sometimes passed memtest
when enabled, although Win98 didn't like those settings. I kept looking
because I wanted the cache enabled. Today I flashed the BIOS to 407J800
with the result that I still can only run with external cache disabled, and
now I have floppy failure at boot. Not fun anymore - this mobo is destined
for the trash.

Just out of idle curiosity, I'd like to know, has anyone successfully run
Win98 on a PA-2002 with external cache enabled? Which BIOS? The most
recent BIOS at the FIC site is dated 10/08/96. I'm thinking maybe this
mobo and Win98 never did work together.

Alain-Pierre CHERTIER

Hello,
I think that you could try a more recent BIOS, I have myself downloaded
a Beta BIOS for Year2000 compatibility (filename: 4091g800.zip),
so it should be able to run W98 properly, only old Win3.1/3.11, W95,
W98, W98SE, Win Millenium, Windows NT4 and Windows2000
were available in 2000...
If you are interested, I have PA2002 user manual in electronic format (PDF),
many BIOS versions as zip compressed archive files, and the BIOS flash
update
utility...
:-)
Alain-Pierre Chertier