? on windows 2k

Josie B

When used on a thinkpad 600 ,how well does it work?.unit is a
300mhtz
and 192 mb memory with 5 gb hhd.

CBFalconer

Josie B wrote:

> When used on a thinkpad 600 ,how well does it work?.unit is a
> 300mhtz and 192 mb memory with 5 gb hhd.

What is 'it'?

Try the download section.

GeorgeZweistein

On Apr 13, 8:35*pm, (E-Mail Removed) (Josie B) wrote:
> When *used *on a thinkpad *600 ,how *well does it *work?.unit is a
> 300mhtz
> and *192 mb memory *with *5 gb *hhd.

I have W2K on an E600, it seems to work well, however my main OS
(99.99% time) is now Linux (plain Debian and Ubuntu). Previously I
mostly used OS/2 although used all versions of MS-Junk from stone age
on. I have my first vista Lenovo ideapad y530 on order but intend to
use linux on it. Strange that MS can get away with bribes to push
their OS.

obs

Should you decide to install it, I recommend making your own
Win2000 install CD using http://www.nliteos.com

You can remove some of the bloat and stuff that you don't
want, which would benefit a 5GB HDD.

> When *used *on a thinkpad *600 ,how *well does it *work?.unit is a
> 300mhtz and *192 mb memory *with *5 gb *hhd.

Steve H

On Mon, 13 Apr 2009 20:35:17 -0400, (E-Mail Removed) (Josie B)
wrote:

>When used on a thinkpad 600 ,how well does it work?.unit is a
>300mhtz
>and 192 mb memory with 5 gb hhd.

I've got W2000 on a 600, works fine as long as you don't want to run
things like Photoshop or Office etc.
It's worth checking out sites like Blackviper for a list of services
tweaks, as turning off many unwanted services will really help matters
when you have such limited resources. Start by disabling indexing and
turning off any eye-candy and gui effects.
Avoid programs that pre-load startup accelerators ( or use the Startup
control panel app to control them ) and use only on-demand antivirus
rather than background.

5gb is plenty enough and 192mb of ram is tolerable, though if you can
add any more it wouldn't go to waste.

Regards,

--
Steve ( out in the sticks )
Email: Take time to reply: timefrom_usenet{at}gmx.net

Tom Rutherford

"Josie B" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> When used on a thinkpad 600 ,how well does it work?.unit is a
> 300mhtz
> and 192 mb memory with 5 gb hhd.

Sounds about like my old Dell Inspiron 3500. Its hard drive is only 4.3GB,
but it's a Pentium-II running at 300MHz, and I have 192MB of RAM in it. I
haven't tried Win2K on it, because the only copy that I have is OEM, and
it's already committed. But, the later BIOS updates have fixes for Win2K,
so people did run that OS on that model of 'puter. Linux does run on it,
though I'd suggest Xubuntu, because it's optimized for machines with limited
resources. In fact, I have Xubuntu 8.04 running on it.

"She said it was either her or the ham radio. Over."
(Reply-To address may be anti-spammed.)