windows 7 SYSTEM disk

Brody

Dell states their computers do not ship with a recovery disk.

Do they ship with a Microsoft Operating System disk for reinstalling the o/s

Thanks

CJJE

"Brody" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:8kN6p.7025$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Dell states their computers do not ship with a recovery disk.
>
> Do they ship with a Microsoft Operating System disk for reinstalling the
> o/s
>
> Thanks

My Dell (albeit an older system with Windows Vista) has a recovery partition
containing all the software that used to be in the box on assorted disks.
This partition is then accessed to restore your system should it crash.
Details should be in the Dell documentation.

Chris

Daddy

Brody wrote:
> Dell states their computers do not ship with a recovery disk.
>
> Do they ship with a Microsoft Operating System disk for reinstalling the
> o/s
>
> Thanks

Dell's consumer PCs (at least) have not included a 'recovery disk' or an
operating system installation disk since approximately April, 2010. I
understand they don't even include the 'tools and drivers' disk either.

Instead, computers from Dell and virtually every other OEM have a
recovery partition, which erases the hard disk and re-installs all the
software (not just Windows) in the same state it was when you first
turned on the computer.

I've never received a straight answer from Dell about this, and members
of the computer press whom I have contacted make educated guesses but
don't know for sure (or won't say.) My guess is it's an anti-piracy
measure from Microsoft.

When you stop to think about it, there really isn't much need for a
Windows installation disk any more. Most people - including me - used to
clamor for a Windows disk in case we needed to repair or re-install
Windows. Those procedures have been largely superseded by backup
software, particularly by disk imaging. My computer is a year old now,
and I can't imagine wanting to erase the disk and start over; that's a
year's worth of updates and configuration settings to re-do from
scratch. Feh - who needs it. I just restore a good image.

Daddy

Bill

On Wed, 16 Feb 2011 02:05:49 -0800, Brody wrote:

> Dell states their computers do not ship with a recovery disk.
>
> Do they ship with a Microsoft Operating System disk for reinstalling the o/s
>
> Thanks

My new, (arrived last week), Dell T3500 workstation came with a Dell
Operating System "reinstallation DVD" . I haven't taken the disk out of
the wrapper, but it's definitely not a Microsoft branded Windows
installation DVD, with all the holograms, COA, and activation code.

Bill
--
Email address is a Spam trap.

pacca

How do you clone your hard drive,what software do you use,I have a external
hard drive would that work?

"Daddy" wrote in message news:ijgp3c$rsv$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...

Brody wrote:
> Dell states their computers do not ship with a recovery disk.
>
> Do they ship with a Microsoft Operating System disk for reinstalling the
> o/s
>
> Thanks

Dell's consumer PCs (at least) have not included a 'recovery disk' or an
operating system installation disk since approximately April, 2010. I
understand they don't even include the 'tools and drivers' disk either.

Instead, computers from Dell and virtually every other OEM have a
recovery partition, which erases the hard disk and re-installs all the
software (not just Windows) in the same state it was when you first
turned on the computer.

I've never received a straight answer from Dell about this, and members
of the computer press whom I have contacted make educated guesses but
don't know for sure (or won't say.) My guess is it's an anti-piracy
measure from Microsoft.

When you stop to think about it, there really isn't much need for a
Windows installation disk any more. Most people - including me - used to
clamor for a Windows disk in case we needed to repair or re-install
Windows. Those procedures have been largely superseded by backup
software, particularly by disk imaging. My computer is a year old now,
and I can't imagine wanting to erase the disk and start over; that's a
year's worth of updates and configuration settings to re-do from
scratch. Feh - who needs it. I just restore a good image.

Daddy

Christopher Muto

On 2/16/2011 5:05 AM, Brody wrote:
> Dell states their computers do not ship with a recovery disk.
>
> Do they ship with a Microsoft Operating System disk for reinstalling the
> o/s
>
> Thanks

Microsoft dictates that Dell and other manufactures do not ship new
systems with recovery media (DVD). Dell does provide a method to create
a set of recovery DVDs on most models but does still ship a recover
Windows DVD with many of their business machines. This issue is not
unique to Dell, and in the even of drive failure (at least while the
machine is still under warranty) they ship out replacement drives
pre-loaded with the OS and/or with recovery media if requested.

Brian K

When you buy a Dell computer in Australia it costs $2.50 extra if you want a
Win7 OS DVD.

lgreenwood@srt.com

On Feb 16, 8:18*am, "pacca" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> How do you clone your hard drive,what software do you use,I have a external
> hard drive would that work?
>
> "Daddy" *wrote in messagenews:ijgp3c$rsv$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org....
> Brody wrote:
> > Dell states their computers do not ship with a recovery disk.

> > Do they ship with a Microsoft Operating System disk for reinstalling the
> > o/s

> > Thanks

> Dell's consumer PCs (at least) have not included a 'recovery disk' or an
> operating system installation disk since approximately April, 2010. I
> understand they don't even include the 'tools and drivers' disk either.
>
> Instead, computers from Dell and virtually every other OEM have a
> recovery partition, which erases the hard disk and re-installs all the
> software (not just Windows) in the same state it was when you first
> turned on the computer.
>
> I've never received a straight answer from Dell about this, and members
> of the computer press whom I have contacted make educated guesses but
> don't know for sure (or won't say.) My guess is it's an anti-piracy
> measure from Microsoft.
>
> When you stop to think about it, there really isn't much need for a
> Windows installation disk any more. Most people - including me - used to
> clamor for a Windows disk in case we needed to repair or re-install
> Windows. Those procedures have been largely superseded by backup
> software, particularly by disk imaging. My computer is a year old now,
> and I can't imagine wanting to erase the disk and start over; that's a
> year's worth of updates and configuration settings to re-do from
> scratch. Feh - who needs it. I just restore a good image.
>
> Daddy

" When you stop to think about it, there really isn't much need for a
Windows installation disk any more. "

Unless I am missing something here, that statement is not entirely
true. When I do a full backup and restore in Windows Vista, I am
prompted for a Windows Vista Installation disk, other wise I can not
do a full restore.

Larry

lgreenwood@srt.com

On Feb 16, 11:32*am, "Brian K" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> When you buy a Dell computer in Australia it costs $2.50 extra if you want a
> Win7 OS DVD.

I am not sure about Win7, but in Windows Vista you will need the
system re-installation DVD to do a restore from a Windows Vista full
backup. Unless there is a different way that I am not familiar with.

Larry

Brian K

If you have a Win7 image created by the Win7 app you need a Win7 restore
disk (but you don't necessarily need the install disk) for the restore. You
can make a "Win7 restore disk" in Win7.