windows asks me to insert discs that are already inserted

Andrew

Hi this is doing my nut in!

My CD ROM drive seems to work fine in every way however if I insert a
data CD it will not run it. It makes all the right noises but then
windows asks me to insert the CD even though its already in there. I
have checked the registry values and their fine, I've uninstalled and
reinstalled the software but to no avail. I have used these discs
recently the only thing thats changed is I have added a 2nd hard drive
however device manager sais both are working properly. I have tried to
install a couple of games but had problems and gave up I dont know if
these could have changed any other settings (please understand I am no
expert). Can anyone throw any light on this????

Aaron

(E-Mail Removed) (Andrew) wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed). com>...
> Hi this is doing my nut in!
>
> My CD ROM drive seems to work fine in every way however if I insert a
> data CD it will not run it. It makes all the right noises but then
> windows asks me to insert the CD even though its already in there. I
> have checked the registry values and their fine, I've uninstalled and
> reinstalled the software but to no avail. I have used these discs
> recently the only thing thats changed is I have added a 2nd hard drive
> however device manager sais both are working properly. I have tried to
> install a couple of games but had problems and gave up I dont know if
> these could have changed any other settings (please understand I am no
> expert). Can anyone throw any light on this????

I would guess you installed the second harddrive on the same IDE cable
as the CD-ROM drive. This is generally not advisable, and will likely
cause problems. Keep harddrives on their own cable, and anything else
on another.

Also check jumpers,

Aaron