Windows Journal problem

JG

I have a problem with Windows Journal. When I try to
start the program I get a message that says "can't find
inking component" and the program won't start. I have
tried several thing to fix it as per advice on this
newsgroup and Microsoft information.

1. I have made sure the settings the "language" tab
are correct. They are.

2. I have tried to unregister and re-register
inkseg.dll, but the registry editor says it cannot find
the file even though I can find it in the registry using
search (I do not want to mess with the registry unless I
know exactly what to do..)

3. I tried to run Journal.exe /repairnotewriter from
the "cmd" prompt, but I get the same "Inking component"
message and the program does not continue.

I am not sure what to try now.
Help.

Jim Gross

Chris H.

Jim, I'd like to check a couple things here: (1) you are running #3 from
the Command Prompt, not Start/Run, correct? and (2) you're letting the
process complete? In the latter, there is no indication of the completion,
and it does take a little time. You actually need to monitor you hard drive
activity until it completes.

There are additional steps to #3, which you didn't mention, that are covered
in the MSKB article here:
http://support.microsoft.com/default...&Product=winxp
in Steps 7 and 8.

You could also try this:
=====
- Tap Start, and then tap Control Panel.
- In Control Panel, tap Regional and Language Options.

- If you are set for Category View, tap Date, Time, Language, and Regional
Options.
On the Languages tab, tap Details.
- In the Installed services section, verify that the following Advanced Text
Services are installed:
Tablet PC Correction
Tablet PC Correction for Windows Journal
Tablet PC Text Insertion
- If these services are not listed, tap Add, and then select the missing
services from the More Text Services drop-down list.
- On the Advanced tab, tap to clear the Turn off advanced text services
check box.
- Tap to select the Extend support of advanced text services to all programs
check box.
- Tap OK, and then restart the computer.
=====
--
Chris H.
Microsoft Windows MVP/Tablet PC

"JG" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:0f8401c37e29$942c5c80$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I have a problem with Windows Journal. When I try to
> start the program I get a message that says "can't find
> inking component" and the program won't start. I have
> tried several thing to fix it as per advice on this
> newsgroup and Microsoft information.
>
> 1. I have made sure the settings the "language" tab
> are correct. They are.
>
> 2. I have tried to unregister and re-register
> inkseg.dll, but the registry editor says it cannot find
> the file even though I can find it in the registry using
> search (I do not want to mess with the registry unless I
> know exactly what to do..)
>
> 3. I tried to run Journal.exe /repairnotewriter from
> the "cmd" prompt, but I get the same "Inking component"
> message and the program does not continue.
>
> I am not sure what to try now.
> Help.
>
> Jim Gross

Dan Polivy [MS]

Jim,

You've posted about this issue before and I've tried to contact you but have
not received any response.

Neither #1 nor #3 will do anything to solve the problem.

In regards to #2, from the error you describe it seems as though this repair
process is not completing successfully. I need you to follow the directions
below exactly:

1. Go to Start -> Run, and enter 'cmd' to open a command prompt.
2. cd "\Program Files\Windows Journal" (yes, you need the quotes). You
should be looking at the following prompt:
C:\Program Files\Windows Journal>
3. Enter 'dir' and verify that at least the following files exist:
inkseg.dll
nbdoc.dll
mspvwctl.dll
nbkintl.dll
4. If inkseg.dll exists, run 'regsvr32 inkseg.dll', and let me know the
output.

Please let me know if any of these files are missing. If they are, I would
recommend running the System File Checker utility; go to Start -> Run, and
enter "sfc /scannow".

Thanks!

--
Dan

---

"JG" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:0f8401c37e29$942c5c80$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I have a problem with Windows Journal. When I try to
> start the program I get a message that says "can't find
> inking component" and the program won't start. I have
> tried several thing to fix it as per advice on this
> newsgroup and Microsoft information.
>
> 1. I have made sure the settings the "language" tab
> are correct. They are.
>
> 2. I have tried to unregister and re-register
> inkseg.dll, but the registry editor says it cannot find
> the file even though I can find it in the registry using
> search (I do not want to mess with the registry unless I
> know exactly what to do..)
>
> 3. I tried to run Journal.exe /repairnotewriter from
> the "cmd" prompt, but I get the same "Inking component"
> message and the program does not continue.
>
> I am not sure what to try now.
> Help.
>
> Jim Gross

JG

Dan,
All of the files are there. When I ran:
C:\program files\windows journal>regsvr32 inkseg.dll
the computer did not even pause before it shows the prompt:
C:\program files\windows journal>

in other words, nothing happened. No message at all.

Please help me!
Thanks,
Jim

It may be easier to get in touch with me through this e-
mail
(E-Mail Removed)
or call me at
914-337-0666 (home)
718-432-3326 (work)

Subject: Re: Windows Journal problem
From: "Dan Polivy [MS]"
<(E-Mail Removed)> Sent: 9/22/2003 9:06:07
AM

[...]

confers no rights.

"JG" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:0f8401c37e29$942c5c80$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I have a problem with Windows Journal. When I try to
> start the program I get a message that says "can't find
> inking component" and the program won't start. I have
> tried several thing to fix it as per advice on this
> newsgroup and Microsoft information.
>
> 1. I have made sure the settings the "language" tab
> are correct. They are.
>
> 2. I have tried to unregister and re-register
> inkseg.dll, but the registry editor says it cannot find
> the file even though I can find it in the registry using
> search (I do not want to mess with the registry unless I
> know exactly what to do..)
>
> 3. I tried to run Journal.exe /repairnotewriter from
> the "cmd" prompt, but I get the same "Inking component"
> message and the program does not continue.
>
> I am not sure what to try now.
> Help.
>
> Jim Gross

confers no rights.