Windows keeps saying external drive needs reformatting?

trailboss

Hey all, My machine has a P4B533, and I have a buddies USB external
harddrive, the thing is formatted already, but when put on any 2K/XP
machine, we cant access it as windoze says it needs to be
formatted...obviously that would wipe out the contents (which ARE, in fact,
his backup!)

Any ideas on how to access that drive without formatting? doesnt matter
where I try it (he has asus board too, plus I tried on 3 other
boards)...wierd...

Mistoffolees

trailboss wrote:

> Hey all, My machine has a P4B533, and I have a buddies USB external
> harddrive, the thing is formatted already, but when put on any 2K/XP
> machine, we cant access it as windoze says it needs to be
> formatted...obviously that would wipe out the contents (which ARE, in fact,
> his backup!)
>
> Any ideas on how to access that drive without formatting? doesnt matter
> where I try it (he has asus board too, plus I tried on 3 other
> boards)...wierd...

Connecting directly to the computer, preferably through
the back USB ports, or through a hub? For the latter, does
it have its own power?

trailboss

Through the various usb ports native to the board, yes it has an external
power supply...wierd...thanks for the reply!

news:(E-Mail Removed)...