Windows Vista Home Premium OEM DVD?

Justin

I have the recovery DVDs mode with no problem. I tested them and they
work fine. But I want a plain Jane copy of Vista Home Premium 64 to put
on the laptop. I want to do this because I don't want aoo the crap HP
puts on the PC from the factory.
Do I contact Microsoft, or HP? I have a valid COA so I'm not looking to
pirate the OS or install it illegally.

Ben Myers

HH wrote:
> You contact neither unless you are willing to pay for it.
>
> HH
>
> "Justin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:gfpnfl$d6f$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> I have the recovery DVDs mode with no problem. I tested them and they
>> work fine. But I want a plain Jane copy of Vista Home Premium 64 to
>> put on the laptop. I want to do this because I don't want aoo the
>> crap HP puts on the PC from the factory.
>> Do I contact Microsoft, or HP? I have a valid COA so I'm not looking
>> to pirate the OS or install it illegally.

For the cost of the recovery CD (nil) versus the cost of a full fledged
Vista install CD (too much), remove the HP factory installed crap after
doing the recovery... Ben Myers

Justin

HH wrote:
> You contact neither unless you are willing to pay for it.
>
> HH
>
> "Justin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:gfpnfl$d6f$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> I have the recovery DVDs mode with no problem. I tested them and they
>> work fine. But I want a plain Jane copy of Vista Home Premium 64 to
>> put on the laptop. I want to do this because I don't want aoo the
>> crap HP puts on the PC from the factory.
>> Do I contact Microsoft, or HP? I have a valid COA so I'm not looking
>> to pirate the OS or install it illegally.

Hence I want to "order" it.

Justin

Ben Myers wrote:
> HH wrote:
>> You contact neither unless you are willing to pay for it.
>>
>> HH
>>
>> "Justin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:gfpnfl$d6f$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> I have the recovery DVDs mode with no problem. I tested them and
>>> they work fine. But I want a plain Jane copy of Vista Home Premium
>>> 64 to put on the laptop. I want to do this because I don't want aoo
>>> the crap HP puts on the PC from the factory.
>>> Do I contact Microsoft, or HP? I have a valid COA so I'm not looking
>>> to pirate the OS or install it illegally.

> For the cost of the recovery CD (nil) versus the cost of a full fledged
> Vista install CD (too much), remove the HP factory installed crap after
> doing the recovery... Ben Myers

Oh, but I can't.
There all sorts of HP junk on there that don't allow me to uninstall.
My only option in Control Panel is to repair, not uninstall.

Justin

HH wrote:
> Strange. I had no problems uninstalling all the HP junk on my DV9910US
> notebook.
>
> HH
>

> "Justin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Ben Myers wrote:

>>> For the cost of the recovery CD (nil) versus the cost of a full
>>> fledged Vista install CD (too much), remove the HP factory installed
>>> crap after doing the recovery... Ben Myers

>> Oh, but I can't.
>> There all sorts of HP junk on there that don't allow me to uninstall.
>> My only option in Control Panel is to repair, not uninstall.

Strange indeed.
nevertheless that's the truth.

firesteel

On Nov 16, 8:06*pm, Justin <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I have the recovery DVDs mode with no problem. *I tested them and they
> work fine. *But I want a plain Jane copy of Vista Home Premium 64 to put
> on the laptop. *

Sounds like a job for vLite

- Bobb -

>> "Justin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:gfpnfl$d6f$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> I have made the recovery DVDs with no problem. I tested them and they
>>> work fine. But I want a plain Jane copy of Vista Home Premium 64 to put
>>> on the laptop. I want to do this because I don't want all the crap HP
>>> puts on the PC from the factory.
>>> Do I contact Microsoft, or HP? I have a valid COA so I'm not looking to
>>> pirate the OS or install it illegally.

I'm not being mean - just explaining ... Your COA is for the "Version that
includes the crap". You are "licensed" for the version that the OEM
installed on that model PC. The retail ( no-crap) version of Vista 64 costs
maybe $299 and the OEM version came"for free" with the PC, BECAUSE it had
all the add-on crap. Vongo, AOL, and all of the other crapware vendors paid
HP to be on that PC. You won't find a "clean version" at HP to buy. And
Microsoft's view is "you bought the cheap version from them - not us. If you
want a 'clean /retail version', it's $299" ( or whatever the retail price
is.) It comes with its own license AND it will run on any PC ( unlike the
HP version)
Again - I'm not arguing - just explaining. We've all been done this path
before.

First, download trial or buy - Acronis True Image , or Norton Ghost 2003 (
NOT Ghost Save & Restore)

What I did was:
1. uninstall all of the crap. Reboot.
2. Install all wanted updates. Reboot.
3. Tweak desktop - menus etc.
4. Run Crap Cleaner in manual mode and choose to purge all unnecessary (
temp/installation) files.
Drive is now clean.
5. Boot disk imaging app.
6. Save THAT image of my C partition - via Norton Ghost - to CD or an
external drive. When/if needed , Use Ghost and the restore happens
'crap-free'. If you want BOTH partitions ( so you can use restore points),
then image the DRIVE not just the C partition. If you like, you can create
the backup to CD/DVD's by selecting that option in Ghost "OPTIONS". It will
prompt for CD #1, CD#2, etc.

Note:
Ghost 2003 is based on Symantec Corporate version of Ghost.
Other recent retail versions of Ghost are based on Backup Exec - a product
they bought.. It was designed for data protection - not "disk cloning " etc.
So you want the version that is ( could be) bootable from floppy or CD -
not the version that can only be run from Windows.

- Bobb -

"Justin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Ben Myers wrote:
>> HH wrote:
>>> You contact neither unless you are willing to pay for it.
>>>
>>> HH
>>>
>>> "Justin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:gfpnfl$d6f$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>

>> For the cost of the recovery CD (nil) versus the cost of a full fledged
>> Vista install CD (too much), remove the HP factory installed crap after
>> doing the recovery... Ben Myers

> Oh, but I can't.
> There all sorts of HP junk on there that don't allow me to uninstall. My
> only option in Control Panel is to repair, not uninstall.

CP gives NO option to UNinstall anything ?

Most popular Uninstallers downloads:
http://www.download.com/Revo-Uninsta...dlPid=10892747
Watch the video for an overview of Revo

Justin

- Bobb - wrote:

> "Justin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Ben Myers wrote:

>>> For the cost of the recovery CD (nil) versus the cost of a full
>>> fledged Vista install CD (too much), remove the HP factory installed
>>> crap after doing the recovery... Ben Myers

>> Oh, but I can't.
>> There all sorts of HP junk on there that don't allow me to uninstall.
>> My only option in Control Panel is to repair, not uninstall.

> CP gives NO option to UNinstall anything ?
>
> Most popular Uninstallers downloads:
> http://www.download.com/Revo-Uninsta...dlPid=10892747
>
> Watch the video for an overview of Revo

Here we go...

It allows me to uninstall some things, but not everything. There are a
few HP applications that do NOT allow me to uninstall.

Justin

- Bobb - wrote:
>>> "Justin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:gfpnfl$d6f$(E-Mail Removed)...

> I'm not being mean - just explaining ... Your COA is for the "Version

SNIP

> from floppy or CD - not the version that can only be run from Windows.

I understand and I also don't care. One way or another I'm installing a
clean OEM copy of the OS on this PC. I can either order a CD/DVD
online, or download it through BT. It make no difference to me.
I have been in IT since 1996, I know Norton Ghost and whatnot. I hate
Symantec. Buggy applications and useless junk which is what I want to
avoid.