Windows won't start with new PCI card

Hi, I'm using WindowsMe, on P3-933 Dell4100. Just installed an Ali M5271
USB2.0 + Firewire PCI card. First issue was windows would hang at the "New
Hardware Found..." box. I happened to touch my printer USB plug to the back
of the card & it then continued loading! Huh? It seemed to load all the
drivers properly and the USB ports at least seemed to work. But then, and
now, the computer won't restart. I get the initial start screens but
Windows won't load.

I tried toggling the PnP and Legacy USB Support items in the BIOS with no
effect. Remove the new card and everything works properly again. Any
ideas? TY.

---

Brigitte J.

"J" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Kr2tc.29242$(E-Mail Removed). ..
> Hi, I'm using WindowsMe, on P3-933 Dell4100. Just installed an Ali M5271
> USB2.0 + Firewire PCI card. First issue was windows would hang at the

"New
> Hardware Found..." box. I happened to touch my printer USB plug to the

back
> of the card & it then continued loading! Huh? It seemed to load all the
> drivers properly and the USB ports at least seemed to work. But then, and
> now, the computer won't restart. I get the initial start screens but
> Windows won't load.
>
> I tried toggling the PnP and Legacy USB Support items in the BIOS with no
> effect. Remove the new card and everything works properly again. Any
> ideas? TY.
>

> ---

I had this problem once. It was due to a bad PCI slot. That old
motherboard only had 3 PCI slots, so I ended up tossing the board and
upgrading the entire system. Have you tried the device in a different PCI
slot?

Brigitte

"Brigitte J." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:FA3tc.60922$(E-Mail Removed)-kc.rr.com...

> "J" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:Kr2tc.29242$(E-Mail Removed). ..
> > Hi, I'm using WindowsMe, on P3-933 Dell4100. Just installed an Ali

M5271
> > USB2.0 + Firewire PCI card. First issue was windows would hang at the

> "New
> > Hardware Found..." box. I happened to touch my printer USB plug to the

> back
> > of the card & it then continued loading! Huh? It seemed to load all

the
> > drivers properly and the USB ports at least seemed to work. But then,

and
> > now, the computer won't restart. I get the initial start screens but
> > Windows won't load.
> >
> > I tried toggling the PnP and Legacy USB Support items in the BIOS with

no
> > effect. Remove the new card and everything works properly again. Any
> > ideas? TY.

> I had this problem once. It was due to a bad PCI slot. That old
> motherboard only had 3 PCI slots, so I ended up tossing the board and
> upgrading the entire system. Have you tried the device in a different PCI
> slot?
>
> Brigitte

Oops, yes I forgot to mention I tried at least 2 other slots. Also, I have
another USB card which I removed. Neither of these things helped.

---

John Donson

:
: I tried toggling the PnP and Legacy USB Support items in the BIOS with no
: effect. Remove the new card and everything works properly again. Any
: ideas? TY.
:

You seem to have tried to boot up with devices connected to the card on the
first boot up. Try booting without anything connected to the card.

Try booting up without checking for new hardware on startup.

petrus bitbyter

"J" <(E-Mail Removed)> schreef in bericht
news:Kr2tc.29242$(E-Mail Removed). ..
> Hi, I'm using WindowsMe, on P3-933 Dell4100. Just installed an Ali M5271
> USB2.0 + Firewire PCI card. First issue was windows would hang at the

"New
> Hardware Found..." box. I happened to touch my printer USB plug to the

back
> of the card & it then continued loading! Huh? It seemed to load all the
> drivers properly and the USB ports at least seemed to work. But then, and
> now, the computer won't restart. I get the initial start screens but
> Windows won't load.
>
> I tried toggling the PnP and Legacy USB Support items in the BIOS with no
> effect. Remove the new card and everything works properly again. Any
> ideas? TY.
>

> ---

The PCI bus specification evaluated over time. Don't know the current
version. Guess it's 2.2. Most of the times new MOBOs are downward
compatible with older PCI cards, but the other way around often fails. Had
the same problem with a new USB2 card some time ago. If I remember well the
MOBOs version was 2.0 and it did not accept two different PCI cards. One
seemed to install well but didn't function and blocked the floppy drive as
well. A second one simply hang the system from the very beginning of the
boot procedure. A third one, also claiming to be PCI 2.2 compatible,
nevertheless ran like a race horse.

petrus bitbyter

---

Alistair Cowan

I had that problem once, had major problems getting it to work under ME, (it
would crash every 10mins under normal working conditions - nevermind driver
conflicts). I then got rid of the piece of crap that is ME and got XP Pro
SP1, I just needed some extra RAM to support it. XP recognised all the cards
including the 1394 FireWire immediately and installed the correct drivers
first time around. Saved alot of problems. [Having said that even my XP
seems to be getting more unreliable with time - think I'm heading towards a
reformat]

If you can't get it working any other way I'd advise backing up your system
and installing a clean install of XP, even if it doesn't completely fix your
1394 difficulties completely it's still a hell of a lot more stable when
installed on a suitably specified machine.

Regards
AC

petrus bitbyter <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:947tc.5790$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "J" <(E-Mail Removed)> schreef in bericht
> news:Kr2tc.29242$(E-Mail Removed). ..
> > Hi, I'm using WindowsMe, on P3-933 Dell4100. Just installed an Ali

M5271
> > USB2.0 + Firewire PCI card. First issue was windows would hang at the

> "New
> > Hardware Found..." box. I happened to touch my printer USB plug to the

> back
> > of the card & it then continued loading! Huh? It seemed to load all

the
> > drivers properly and the USB ports at least seemed to work. But then,

and
> > now, the computer won't restart. I get the initial start screens but
> > Windows won't load.
> >
> > I tried toggling the PnP and Legacy USB Support items in the BIOS with

no
> > effect. Remove the new card and everything works properly again. Any
> > ideas? TY.
> >

> > ---
> >

> The PCI bus specification evaluated over time. Don't know the current
> version. Guess it's 2.2. Most of the times new MOBOs are downward
> compatible with older PCI cards, but the other way around often fails. Had
> the same problem with a new USB2 card some time ago. If I remember well

the
> MOBOs version was 2.0 and it did not accept two different PCI cards. One
> seemed to install well but didn't function and blocked the floppy drive as
> well. A second one simply hang the system from the very beginning of the
> boot procedure. A third one, also claiming to be PCI 2.2 compatible,
> nevertheless ran like a race horse.
>
> petrus bitbyter
>

> ---

Dan Rather

Hello:

I am running WindowsMe and also had a similar problem. I looked on my
motherboard's website and downloaded the newest chipset drivers and a
patch that was suppose to fix USB related problems. I also disabled
the APIC function in the BIOS. After that the problem resolved itself.
You can also try USBMan on the web, located at www.usbman.com/ This
guy is incredible at fixing USB related issues.

Good luck!

On Wed, 26 May 2004 21:42:02 +0100, "Alistair Cowan"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I had that problem once, had major problems getting it to work under ME, (it
>would crash every 10mins under normal working conditions - nevermind driver
>conflicts). I then got rid of the piece of crap that is ME and got XP Pro
>SP1, I just needed some extra RAM to support it. XP recognised all the cards
>including the 1394 FireWire immediately and installed the correct drivers
>first time around. Saved alot of problems. [Having said that even my XP
>seems to be getting more unreliable with time - think I'm heading towards a
>reformat]
>
>If you can't get it working any other way I'd advise backing up your system
>and installing a clean install of XP, even if it doesn't completely fix your
>1394 difficulties completely it's still a hell of a lot more stable when
>installed on a suitably specified machine.
>
>Regards
>AC
>

>petrus bitbyter <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:947tc.5790$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>> "J" <(E-Mail Removed)> schreef in bericht
>> news:Kr2tc.29242$(E-Mail Removed). ..
>> > Hi, I'm using WindowsMe, on P3-933 Dell4100. Just installed an Ali

>M5271
>> > USB2.0 + Firewire PCI card. First issue was windows would hang at the

>> "New
>> > Hardware Found..." box. I happened to touch my printer USB plug to the

>> back
>> > of the card & it then continued loading! Huh? It seemed to load all

>the
>> > drivers properly and the USB ports at least seemed to work. But then,

>and
>> > now, the computer won't restart. I get the initial start screens but
>> > Windows won't load.
>> >
>> > I tried toggling the PnP and Legacy USB Support items in the BIOS with

>no
>> > effect. Remove the new card and everything works properly again. Any
>> > ideas? TY.
>> >

>> > ---
>> >

>> The PCI bus specification evaluated over time. Don't know the current
>> version. Guess it's 2.2. Most of the times new MOBOs are downward
>> compatible with older PCI cards, but the other way around often fails. Had
>> the same problem with a new USB2 card some time ago. If I remember well

>the
>> MOBOs version was 2.0 and it did not accept two different PCI cards. One
>> seemed to install well but didn't function and blocked the floppy drive as
>> well. A second one simply hang the system from the very beginning of the
>> boot procedure. A third one, also claiming to be PCI 2.2 compatible,
>> nevertheless ran like a race horse.
>>
>> petrus bitbyter
>>

>> ---

"Dan Rather" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello:
>
> I am running WindowsMe and also had a similar problem. I looked on my
> motherboard's website and downloaded the newest chipset drivers and a
> patch that was suppose to fix USB related problems. I also disabled
> the APIC function in the BIOS. After that the problem resolved itself.
> You can also try USBMan on the web, located at www.usbman.com/ This
> guy is incredible at fixing USB related issues.
>
> Good luck!

Thanks for everyone's input. I never had anything connected to the card at
boot up. XP isn't really an option for me right now. I went to usbman
website & cleaned out Device Manager in Safe Mode. No effect.

As for updates, I went to the Intel site. (My main board: Intel 815EEA).
Most of the drivers are things like Audio Driver, IDE Storage driver, INF
update, etc. Then, there are ExpressBIOS and IflashBIOS updates. Do I
install all this? Furthermore, Dell has an A11 version of my BIOS (mine is
A06). Which of the 3 BIOS files do I use, if any? I'm getting pretty sick
of this nonsense; soon I'm gonna try a different card

> On Wed, 26 May 2004 21:42:02 +0100, "Alistair Cowan"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >I had that problem once, had major problems getting it to work under ME,

(it
> >would crash every 10mins under normal working conditions - nevermind

driver
> >conflicts). I then got rid of the piece of crap that is ME and got XP Pro
> >SP1, I just needed some extra RAM to support it. XP recognised all the

cards
> >including the 1394 FireWire immediately and installed the correct drivers
> >first time around. Saved alot of problems. [Having said that even my XP
> >seems to be getting more unreliable with time - think I'm heading towards

> >reformat]
> >
> >If you can't get it working any other way I'd advise backing up your

system
> >and installing a clean install of XP, even if it doesn't completely fix

your
> >1394 difficulties completely it's still a hell of a lot more stable when
> >installed on a suitably specified machine.
> >
> >Regards
> >AC
> >

> >petrus bitbyter <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >news:947tc.5790$(E-Mail Removed)...
> >>
> >> "J" <(E-Mail Removed)> schreef in bericht
> >> news:Kr2tc.29242$(E-Mail Removed). ..

> >M5271

the
> >> "New

the
> >> back

> >the

then,
> >and

with
> >no

Any

> >> The PCI bus specification evaluated over time. Don't know the current
> >> version. Guess it's 2.2. Most of the times new MOBOs are downward
> >> compatible with older PCI cards, but the other way around often fails.

Had
> >> the same problem with a new USB2 card some time ago. If I remember well

> >the
> >> MOBOs version was 2.0 and it did not accept two different PCI cards.

One
> >> seemed to install well but didn't function and blocked the floppy drive

as
> >> well. A second one simply hang the system from the very beginning of

the
> >> boot procedure. A third one, also claiming to be PCI 2.2 compatible,
> >> nevertheless ran like a race horse.
> >>
> >> petrus bitbyter

---

Pen

Don't install any BIOS updates except from the Dell site.
Dell's site will tell you what the updates do. However,
you definitely need to try a different card at this point.

"J" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:j_dtc.31304$(E-Mail Removed). ..

> [...]

drivers
> > >first time around. Saved alot of problems. [Having said that even

my XP
> > >seems to be getting more unreliable with time - think I'm heading

towards
> > >reformat]
> > >
> > >If you can't get it working any other way I'd advise backing up

your
> system
> > >and installing a clean install of XP, even if it doesn't completely

fix
> your
> > >1394 difficulties completely it's still a hell of a lot more stable

when
> > >installed on a suitably specified machine.
> > >
> > >Regards
> > >AC
> > >

> > >petrus bitbyter <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

22/05/2004