Windows XP Sound Drivers for XPS 400?

Will

What sound card is Dell using in the XPS400 motherboard? After a Windows
2003 install (uses same device drivers as Windows XP), the audio is not
installed, and I'm not sure which of the Dell Windows XP sound drivers for
XPS 400 to install (they have an Audigy driver as well some obscure OEM
product) from the Dell website.

--
Will

Mike

If you create an account and go to support, you can put in the service tag
and get the specs.

Alternately, just start with the driver you think is right and install the
other one if it doesn't work. Running the wrong driver install program
shouldn't hurt anything, the program should just exit with a "can't locate
XXX soundcard" error.

-Mike

"Will" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> What sound card is Dell using in the XPS400 motherboard? After a
> Windows
> 2003 install (uses same device drivers as Windows XP), the audio is not
> installed, and I'm not sure which of the Dell Windows XP sound drivers for
> XPS 400 to install (they have an Audigy driver as well some obscure OEM
> product) from the Dell website.
>
> --
> Will

Keka

Check in system properties -> hardware -> device manager and check the
kind of sound card u have.
it might something from audigy or it might be integrated...
Next do some googling online or search in support.dell.com.
these ought to do it!!

Christopher Muto

typically the first thing you need to install after installing windows is
the intel chipset software. did you do this?
but that aside, windows server 2003 is not supported on the dimension xps
400.
the dimension xps 400 came with one of three audio cards: creative audigy
invitation, creative soundblaster xfi, or the simgatel stac 92xx.
you can find the windows xp drivers available from dell here:
http://tinyurl.com/hdurl
you can find the windows server 2003 drivers (not including audio or much of
anything since it isn't supported) here:
http://tinyurl.com/ewmua

"Will" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> What sound card is Dell using in the XPS400 motherboard? After a
> Windows
> 2003 install (uses same device drivers as Windows XP), the audio is not
> installed, and I'm not sure which of the Dell Windows XP sound drivers for
> XPS 400 to install (they have an Audigy driver as well some obscure OEM
> product) from the Dell website.
>
> --
> Will

Will

For the three soundcards you mentioned, would XPS 400 have all three
integrated onto the motherboard itself?

Windows 2003 uses Windows XP drivers more often than not. The "not" case
is one where the driver writer wasn't thinking clearly and deliberately
sabotages install of a driver that would have worked fine simply because
they make a decision to not support W2K3.

--
Will

"Christopher Muto" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> typically the first thing you need to install after installing windows is
> the intel chipset software. did you do this?
> but that aside, windows server 2003 is not supported on the dimension xps
> 400.
> the dimension xps 400 came with one of three audio cards: creative audigy
> invitation, creative soundblaster xfi, or the simgatel stac 92xx.
> you can find the windows xp drivers available from dell here:
> http://tinyurl.com/hdurl
> you can find the windows server 2003 drivers (not including audio or much

of
> anything since it isn't supported) here:
> http://tinyurl.com/ewmua
>

> "Will" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > What sound card is Dell using in the XPS400 motherboard? After a
> > Windows
> > 2003 install (uses same device drivers as Windows XP), the audio is not
> > installed, and I'm not sure which of the Dell Windows XP sound drivers

for
> > XPS 400 to install (they have an Audigy driver as well some obscure OEM
> > product) from the Dell website.
> >
> > --
> > Will

Pen

"Will" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ...
> For the three soundcards you mentioned, would XPS 400 have all three
> integrated onto the motherboard itself?
>
> Windows 2003 uses Windows XP drivers more often than not. The "not" case
> is one where the driver writer wasn't thinking clearly and deliberately
> sabotages install of a driver that would have worked fine simply because
> they make a decision to not support W2K3.
>
> --
> Will
>
> "Christopher Muto" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> typically the first thing you need to install after installing windows is
>> the intel chipset software. did you do this?
>> but that aside, windows server 2003 is not supported on the dimension xps
>> 400.
>> the dimension xps 400 came with one of three audio cards: creative audigy
>> invitation, creative soundblaster xfi, or the simgatel stac 92xx.
>> you can find the windows xp drivers available from dell here:
>> http://tinyurl.com/hdurl
>> you can find the windows server 2003 drivers (not including audio or much

> of
>> anything since it isn't supported) here:
>> http://tinyurl.com/ewmua
>>

>> "Will" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > What sound card is Dell using in the XPS400 motherboard? After a
>> > Windows
>> > 2003 install (uses same device drivers as Windows XP), the audio is not
>> > installed, and I'm not sure which of the Dell Windows XP sound drivers

> for
>> > XPS 400 to install (they have an Audigy driver as well some obscure OEM
>> > product) from the Dell website.
>> >
>> > --
>> > Will

The xps400 has the SigmaTel on the motherboard.

Will

That's the information I needed, thank you!

I installed the Windows XP driver for the SigmaTel on Windows 2003, and the
XPS400 now has sound.

--
Will

"Pen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> The xps400 has the SigmaTel on the motherboard.

Keka

Great!!