Wireless Connection

Tony

My XPS 15 laptop can only connect to my router when the network is unhidden.
I prefer to keep it hidden for security purposes. Is there a workaround
this please?

Tony

Brian K

Are you referring to the SSID?

Tony

"Brian K" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:AErbr.4840$(E-Mail Removed) ond.com...
> Are you referring to the SSID?

Yes. I prefer to keep it hidden.

Brian K

I don't bother hiding the SSID as it gives you no extra security. No-one is
going to get past your WPA2 even if they sit outside your house for a few
years.

Bob_Villa

On Monday, March 26, 2012 1:27:25 AM UTC-5, Brian K wrote:
> I don't bother hiding the SSID as it gives you no extra security. No-one is
> going to get past your WPA2 even if they sit outside your house for a few
> years.

I know my wireless only broadcasts around 75' outside the house. (With WPA2 also)

Tony

"Bob_Villa" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> On Monday, March 26, 2012 1:27:25 AM UTC-5, Brian K wrote:
>> I don't bother hiding the SSID as it gives you no extra security. No-one
>> is
>> going to get past your WPA2 even if they sit outside your house for a few
>> years.

> I know my wireless only broadcasts around 75' outside the house. (With
> WPA2 also)

Thank you both for that reassurance. I'll stop hiding my SSID.

RnR

On Mon, 26 Mar 2012 17:27:25 +1100, "Brian K"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I don't bother hiding the SSID as it gives you no extra security. No-one is
>going to get past your WPA2 even if they sit outside your house for a few
>years.

In theory NOT true but speaking in a practical sense, I agree.
Unless one is paranoid, he's safe with WPA2 but there is free software
to try to decrypt it. The problem is it takes a lot of cpu or time to
do so and no one is going to bother unless they think it's worth the
effort and have the money to buy multiple pc's to work on the
decryption.

BillW50

"RnR" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Mon, 26 Mar 2012 17:27:25 +1100, "Brian K"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>I don't bother hiding the SSID as it gives you no extra security.
>>No-one is
>>going to get past your WPA2 even if they sit outside your house for a
>>few
>>years.

> In theory NOT true but speaking in a practical sense, I agree.
> Unless one is paranoid, he's safe with WPA2 but there is free software
> to try to decrypt it. The problem is it takes a lot of cpu or time to
> do so and no one is going to bother unless they think it's worth the
> effort and have the money to buy multiple pc's to work on the
> decryption.

I don't know if you have heard this before, but there was a hackers
convention years ago in Las Vegas (or was it in Phoenix?), that hackers
logged in on a stock WiFi for a new record of being 52 miles (50
something anyway) away. Later I heard newer records being hundreds of
miles away. Now where are these guys when I setup my WiFi? As I have a
hard time pulling in mine just 600 feet away. lol

--
Bill
Gateway M465e ('06 era) - Windows Live Mail 2009

RnR

On Tue, 27 Mar 2012 10:58:36 -0500, "BillW50" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"RnR" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> On Mon, 26 Mar 2012 17:27:25 +1100, "Brian K"
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>>I don't bother hiding the SSID as it gives you no extra security.
>>>No-one is
>>>going to get past your WPA2 even if they sit outside your house for a
>>>few
>>>years.

>> In theory NOT true but speaking in a practical sense, I agree.
>> Unless one is paranoid, he's safe with WPA2 but there is free software
>> to try to decrypt it. The problem is it takes a lot of cpu or time to
>> do so and no one is going to bother unless they think it's worth the
>> effort and have the money to buy multiple pc's to work on the
>> decryption.

>I don't know if you have heard this before, but there was a hackers
>convention years ago in Las Vegas (or was it in Phoenix?), that hackers
>logged in on a stock WiFi for a new record of being 52 miles (50
>something anyway) away. Later I heard newer records being hundreds of
>miles away. Now where are these guys when I setup my WiFi? As I have a
>hard time pulling in mine just 600 feet away. lol

No Bill, hadn't heard of that but I have seen and heard of antennas
that supposedly can pull in the signal from a couple of miles. 52
miles does sound incredible .... hope they wire up Houston so everyone
can get free wifi all around the city instead of the bozo's that were
hired and never delivered.

Brian K

See this page regarding password strength....

https://www.grc.com/haystack.htm