Wireless Networking advice needed

Martyn Tindall

I'm hoping to get a broadband connection in the near future and intend
to use a wireless router. I've been trying to see how to do this at
the computer end, but have got nowhere. Can anyone tell me where I'm
going wrong?

I started by going to:

Help & Support Center/Wireless (802.11) networking

"To connect to an available wireless network
Open Network Connections.
Click the wireless network connection icon, and then, under Network
Tasks, click View available wireless networks."

....but couldn't see a wireless network connection icon.

So I tried:

ThinkVantage Access Help/Getting Connected/Wireless Connections/Making
Wireless LAN connections/Enabling...

"To enable or disable the wireless feature, press Fn+F5. A list of
wireless features is displayed. You can turn the feature on and off
with a single click."

This window shows the Hardware wireless radio switch status (which is
on), but in what I take to be a list underneath it just shows
Bluetooth (which I take to be something different).

Alternatively, I'm offered:

"To enable the wireless feature, do as follows:

Click the Access Connections wireless icon in the system tray.

Click Power On Wireless Radio."

There is an icon called "ThinkVantage Access Connections", but it
doesn't offer that option.

Under "Wireless networking setup" I'm told:

"To use the built-in wireless networking card (the IEEE 802.11
standard) to communicate, start Access Connections™."

This window says:

"Connect to available wireless networks by clicking Find in the
toolbar"

"Find" doesn't appear in the toolbar. It does on the Tools menu, but
is greyed out.

Wireless appears to be enabled in the BIOS.

I would be grateful for any pointers...

Lenovo ThinkPad R61i 8943

Windows XP Pro SP2 (Downgrade from Vista)

Wireless 802.11a/b/g, Bluetooth

TIA,

--
Martyn Tindall
Leeds, England, United Kingdom

pheeh.zero@gmail.com

On Apr 9, 4:14*pm, (E-Mail Removed) (Martyn
Tindall) wrote:
> I'm hoping to get a broadband connection in the near future and intend
> to use a wireless router. *I've been trying to see how to do this at
> the computer end, but have got nowhere. *Can anyone tell me where I'm
> going wrong?
>
> I started by going to:
>
> Help & Support Center/Wireless (802.11) networking
>
> "To connect to an available wireless network
> Open Network Connections.
> Click the wireless network connection icon, and then, under Network
> Tasks, click View available wireless networks."
>
> ...but couldn't see a wireless network connection icon.
>
> So I tried:
>
> ThinkVantage Access Help/Getting Connected/Wireless Connections/Making
> Wireless LAN connections/Enabling...
>
> "To enable or disable the wireless feature, press Fn+F5. A list of
> wireless features is displayed. You can turn the feature on and off
> with a single click."
>
> This window shows the Hardware wireless radio switch status (which is
> on), but in what I take to be a list underneath it just shows
> Bluetooth (which I take to be something different).
>
> Alternatively, I'm offered:
>
> "To enable the wireless feature, do as follows:
>
> Click the Access Connections wireless icon in the system tray.
>
> Click Power On Wireless Radio."
>
> There is an icon called "ThinkVantage Access Connections", but it
> doesn't offer that option.
>
> Under "Wireless networking setup" I'm told:
>
> "To use the built-in wireless networking card (the IEEE 802.11
> standard) to communicate, start Access Connections™."
>
> This window says:
>
> "Connect to available wireless networks by clicking Find in the
> toolbar"
>
> "Find" doesn't appear in the toolbar. *It does on the Tools menu, but
> is greyed out.
>
> Wireless appears to be enabled in the BIOS.
>
> I would be grateful for any pointers...
>
> Lenovo ThinkPad R61i 8943
>
> Windows XP Pro SP2 (Downgrade from Vista)
>
> Wireless 802.11a/b/g, Bluetooth
>
> TIA,
>
> --
> Martyn Tindall
> Leeds, England, United Kingdom

In Services, make sure you have WZC (Wireless Zero Config.) started
and Automatic.

Ed

>> I'm hoping to get a broadband connection in the near future and intend
>> to use a wireless router. *I've been trying to see how to do this at
>> the computer end, but have got nowhere. *Can anyone tell me where I'm
>> going wrong?
>>
>> I started by going to:
>>
>> Help & Support Center/Wireless (802.11) networking
>>
>> "To connect to an available wireless network
>> Open Network Connections.
>> Click the wireless network connection icon, and then, under Network
>> Tasks, click View available wireless networks."
>>
>> ...but couldn't see a wireless network connection icon.
>>
>> So I tried:
>>
>> ThinkVantage Access Help/Getting Connected/Wireless Connections/Making
>> Wireless LAN connections/Enabling...
>>
>> "To enable or disable the wireless feature, press Fn+F5. A list of
>> wireless features is displayed. You can turn the feature on and off
>> with a single click."
>>
>> This window shows the Hardware wireless radio switch status (which is
>> on), but in what I take to be a list underneath it just shows
>> Bluetooth (which I take to be something different).
>>
>> Alternatively, I'm offered:
>>
>> "To enable the wireless feature, do as follows:
>>
>> Click the Access Connections wireless icon in the system tray.
>>
>> Click Power On Wireless Radio."
>>
>> There is an icon called "ThinkVantage Access Connections", but it
>> doesn't offer that option.
>>
>> Under "Wireless networking setup" I'm told:
>>
>> "To use the built-in wireless networking card (the IEEE 802.11
>> standard) to communicate, start Access Connections™."
>>
>> This window says:
>>
>> "Connect to available wireless networks by clicking Find in the
>> toolbar"
>>
>> "Find" doesn't appear in the toolbar. *It does on the Tools menu, but
>> is greyed out.
>>
>> Wireless appears to be enabled in the BIOS.
>>
>> I would be grateful for any pointers...
>>
>> Lenovo ThinkPad R61i 8943
>>
>> Windows XP Pro SP2 (Downgrade from Vista)
>>
>> Wireless 802.11a/b/g, Bluetooth
>>
>> TIA,
>>
>> --
>> Martyn Tindall
>> Leeds, England, United Kingdom

Pardon my silly question: Are you sure your computer is close to an
operating 'wireless' access point when you are attempting to find a
wireless connection?

Ed

Martyn Tindall

On Sat, 11 Apr 2009 05:19:21 -0700 (PDT), (E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>On Apr 9, 4:14=A0pm, (E-Mail Removed) (Martyn
>Tindall) wrote:
>> I'm hoping to get a broadband connection in the near future and intend
>> to use a wireless router. =A0I've been trying to see how to do this at
>> the computer end, but have got nowhere. =A0Can anyone tell me where I'm
>> going wrong?
>>
>> I started by going to:
>>
>> Help & Support Center/Wireless (802.11) networking
>>
>> "To connect to an available wireless network
>> Open Network Connections.
>> Click the wireless network connection icon, and then, under Network
>> Tasks, click View available wireless networks."
>>
>> ...but couldn't see a wireless network connection icon.
>>
>> So I tried:
>>
>> ThinkVantage Access Help/Getting Connected/Wireless Connections/Making
>> Wireless LAN connections/Enabling...
>>
>> "To enable or disable the wireless feature, press Fn+F5. A list of
>> wireless features is displayed. You can turn the feature on and off
>> with a single click."
>>
>> This window shows the Hardware wireless radio switch status (which is
>> on), but in what I take to be a list underneath it just shows
>> Bluetooth (which I take to be something different).
>>
>> Alternatively, I'm offered:
>>
>> "To enable the wireless feature, do as follows:
>>
>> Click the Access Connections wireless icon in the system tray.
>>
>> Click Power On Wireless Radio."
>>
>> There is an icon called "ThinkVantage Access Connections", but it
>> doesn't offer that option.
>>
>> Under "Wireless networking setup" I'm told:
>>
>> "To use the built-in wireless networking card (the IEEE 802.11
>> standard) to communicate, start Access Connections=99."
>>
>> This window says:
>>
>> "Connect to available wireless networks by clicking Find in the
>> toolbar"
>>
>> "Find" doesn't appear in the toolbar. =A0It does on the Tools menu, but
>> is greyed out.
>>
>> Wireless appears to be enabled in the BIOS.
>>
>> I would be grateful for any pointers...
>>
>> Lenovo ThinkPad R61i 8943
>>
>> Windows XP Pro SP2 (Downgrade from Vista)
>>
>> Wireless 802.11a/b/g, Bluetooth
>>
>> TIA,
>>
>> --
>> Martyn Tindall
>> Leeds, England, United Kingdom

>In Services, make sure you have WZC (Wireless Zero Config.) started
>and Automatic.

If you mean ThinkVantage Access Connections, in "Services" all I'm
offered is "iPass Global Connectivity".

In "Create New Profile", under "Type of network connection", I'm
offered only wired LAN or broadband, or else dialup. I get the
feeling this machine isn't set up for wireless at all. I must have a
proper look at the BIOS - when I got the computer there was no sign of
the modem: turned out it wasn't enabled in the BIOS, but it took a
long time to find that out.

Thanks,
Martyn

--
Martyn Tindall
Leeds, England, United Kingdom

Martyn Tindall

On 11 Apr 2009 16:10:11 GMT, Ed <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>>> I'm hoping to get a broadband connection in the near future and intend
>>> to use a wireless router. *I've been trying to see how to do this at
>>> the computer end, but have got nowhere. *Can anyone tell me where I'm
>>> going wrong?
>>>
>>> I started by going to:
>>>
>>> Help & Support Center/Wireless (802.11) networking
>>>
>>> "To connect to an available wireless network
>>> Open Network Connections.
>>> Click the wireless network connection icon, and then, under Network
>>> Tasks, click View available wireless networks."
>>>
>>> ...but couldn't see a wireless network connection icon.
>>>
>>> So I tried:
>>>
>>> ThinkVantage Access Help/Getting Connected/Wireless Connections/Making
>>> Wireless LAN connections/Enabling...
>>>
>>> "To enable or disable the wireless feature, press Fn+F5. A list of
>>> wireless features is displayed. You can turn the feature on and off
>>> with a single click."
>>>
>>> This window shows the Hardware wireless radio switch status (which is
>>> on), but in what I take to be a list underneath it just shows
>>> Bluetooth (which I take to be something different).
>>>
>>> Alternatively, I'm offered:
>>>
>>> "To enable the wireless feature, do as follows:
>>>
>>> Click the Access Connections wireless icon in the system tray.
>>>
>>> Click Power On Wireless Radio."
>>>
>>> There is an icon called "ThinkVantage Access Connections", but it
>>> doesn't offer that option.
>>>
>>> Under "Wireless networking setup" I'm told:
>>>
>>> "To use the built-in wireless networking card (the IEEE 802.11
>>> standard) to communicate, start Access Connections™."
>>>
>>> This window says:
>>>
>>> "Connect to available wireless networks by clicking Find in the
>>> toolbar"
>>>
>>> "Find" doesn't appear in the toolbar. *It does on the Tools menu, but
>>> is greyed out.
>>>
>>> Wireless appears to be enabled in the BIOS.
>>>
>>> I would be grateful for any pointers...
>>>
>>> Lenovo ThinkPad R61i 8943
>>>
>>> Windows XP Pro SP2 (Downgrade from Vista)
>>>
>>> Wireless 802.11a/b/g, Bluetooth
>>>
>>> TIA,
>>>
>>> --
>>> Martyn Tindall
>>> Leeds, England, United Kingdom

> Pardon my silly question: Are you sure your computer is close to an
>operating 'wireless' access point when you are attempting to find a
>wireless connection?
>
> Ed

Not a silly question at all. But it's not the fact that I can't see a
connection that's worrying me, rather that I'm not being given the
chance to look for one!

Thanks,
Martyn

--
Martyn Tindall
Leeds, England, United Kingdom

Ed

(E-Mail Removed) (Martyn Tindall) wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> On 11 Apr 2009 16:10:11 GMT, Ed <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>

> Not a silly question at all. But it's not the fact that I can't see a
> connection that's worrying me, rather that I'm not being given the
> chance to look for one!
>
> Thanks,
> Martyn

Sorry 'bout that. I misunderstood that in your original post.

Good luck

Ed

Arthur Shapiro

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed) (Martyn Tindall) wrote:
>I'm hoping to get a broadband connection in the near future and intend
>to use a wireless router.

Hmmm...nothing I'm reading suggests that your machine has (or thinks it has) a
wireless network card installed.

I guess, were I in your situation, I'd:

a). get rid of Access Connections, at least for the time being. (Some folks
love it; I personally don't have any use for it and can connect to my own
wireless network and those at the many coffee shops I visit without its
intrusion.)

b). go into Device Manager, and see if the machine shows an appropriate device
under the network devices tree node. If not, we've found the problem. I'm
not familiar with the R series, but you should be readily able to access the
compartment with the mini-PCI card and see if it is there and seated correctly
with the antenna lead/leads connected.

Art

Ed

> b). go into Device Manager, and see if the machine shows an
> appropriate device under the network devices tree node. If not, we've
> found the problem. I'm not familiar with the R series, but you should
> be readily able to access the compartment with the mini-PCI card and
> see if it is there and seated correctly with the antenna lead/leads
> connected.
>
> Art

I'll second the above suggestion. Check your device manager to see if
you even have a functioning WiFi card. Also, I have an R50 and the
internal card is located under the keyboard front cover in the front (
under where a touchpad would be) ...not visible unless you remove the
entire top cover.

I tried removing access connections and using Window's WiFi
management, but found I preferred Access Connection's functionality in
the area of finding and displaying wireless access connection points so I
went back to using it.

Good Luck

Ed

Martyn Tindall

On Mon, 13 Apr 2009 16:09:20 GMT, (E-Mail Removed) (Arthur
Shapiro) wrote:

>In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed) (Martyn Tindall) wrote:
>>I'm hoping to get a broadband connection in the near future and intend
>>to use a wireless router.

>Hmmm...nothing I'm reading suggests that your machine has (or thinks it has) a
>wireless network card installed.
>
>I guess, were I in your situation, I'd:
>
>a). get rid of Access Connections, at least for the time being. (Some folks
>love it; I personally don't have any use for it and can connect to my own
>wireless network and those at the many coffee shops I visit without its
>intrusion.)
>
>b). go into Device Manager, and see if the machine shows an appropriate device
>under the network devices tree node. If not, we've found the problem. I'm
>not familiar with the R series, but you should be readily able to access the
>compartment with the mini-PCI card and see if it is there and seated correctly
>with the antenna lead/leads connected.
>
>Art

Yes, I'd already had a look at the Device Manager: can't see any sign
of wireless there (I'm looking at "Network Adapters").

What if I look at the BIOS? I'm afraid I'm not awfully clued up on
this stuff!

Regards,
Martyn

--
Martyn Tindall
Leeds, England, United Kingdom

Ed

>>b). go into Device Manager, and see if the machine shows an
>>appropriate device under the network devices tree node. If not, we've
>>found the problem. I'm not familiar with the R series, but you should
>>be readily able to access the compartment with the mini-PCI card and
>>see if it is there and seated correctly with the antenna lead/leads
>>connected.
>>
>>Art

> Yes, I'd already had a look at the Device Manager: can't see any sign
> of wireless there (I'm looking at "Network Adapters").

Then as Art said above, you have probably found the problem... you
either do not have a Wireless miniPCI card installed, it is
disfunctional, or has a poor connection to the motherboard. At this
point you need to open up your laptop and see if you actually have it
installed. I'd suggest you go to the http://www-307.ibm.com ibm
Thinkpad support site and wend your way to the appropriate Service &
Troubleshooting guide for your model. You should find detailed clear
instructions on how to access the miniPCI card inside. I had to replace
my defective WIFI card a year ago and could not have done it without this
info.

> What if I look at the BIOS? I'm afraid I'm not awfully clued up on
> this stuff!

That should not help you on this problem. It may be hardware problem,
as indicated above.

Ed