Motherboard Forums


Reply
 
 
dorayme
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-28-2012, 09:08 PM
Be nice if the Finder, in icon view, allowed us to change and save
(for Finder use) the orientation of the *thumbs* from landscape to
portrait (and vice versa though this is more rarely needed) without
need to open in image software.

--
dorayme
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Jim Janney
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-28-2012, 10:27 PM
dorayme <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> Be nice if the Finder, in icon view, allowed us to change and save
> (for Finder use) the orientation of the *thumbs* from landscape to
> portrait (and vice versa though this is more rarely needed) without
> need to open in image software.


People laugh now when I say this, but there was once a time when people
would ask, on learning that I was a programmer, "what will you do when
the programs are all written?"

--
Jim Janney
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
dorayme
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-28-2012, 10:45 PM
In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Jim Janney <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> dorayme <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>
> > Be nice if the Finder, in icon view, allowed us to change and save
> > (for Finder use) the orientation of the *thumbs* from landscape to
> > portrait (and vice versa though this is more rarely needed) without
> > need to open in image software.

>
> People laugh now when I say this, but there was once a time when people
> would ask, on learning that I was a programmer, "what will you do when
> the programs are all written?"


People asked this? Almost biblical in conception! (There are people
who have no idea of the open ended nature of living creatures based on
genetic structures, the infinite possibilities of life throughout the
universe. They think someone made a set number of types and that is
that!)

--
dorayme
 
Reply With Quote
 
Jim Janney
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-29-2012, 12:05 AM
dorayme <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> Jim Janney <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> dorayme <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>>
>> > Be nice if the Finder, in icon view, allowed us to change and save
>> > (for Finder use) the orientation of the *thumbs* from landscape to
>> > portrait (and vice versa though this is more rarely needed) without
>> > need to open in image software.

>>
>> People laugh now when I say this, but there was once a time when people
>> would ask, on learning that I was a programmer, "what will you do when
>> the programs are all written?"

>
> People asked this? Almost biblical in conception! (There are people
> who have no idea of the open ended nature of living creatures based on
> genetic structures, the infinite possibilities of life throughout the
> universe. They think someone made a set number of types and that is
> that!)


Well, we had the word processor, the database, and the spreadsheet, and
Lotus had already integrated them, so what else was there to do? :-)

--
Jim Janney
 
Reply With Quote
 
Paul Sture
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-29-2012, 09:27 AM
On Thu, 29 Mar 2012 08:08:28 +1100, dorayme wrote:

> Be nice if the Finder, in icon view, allowed us to change and save (for
> Finder use) the orientation of the *thumbs* from landscape to portrait
> (and vice versa though this is more rarely needed) without need to open
> in image software.


My camera has a sensor for portrait or landscape and the resulting images
are interpreted correctly by Finder, I assume by the use of a tag in the
image.

Winders Explorer however doesn't look at that information and blindly
displays the same images with 90° rotation.

I have seen the same effect with photos taken on an iPhone.

--
Paul Sture
 
Reply With Quote
 
dorayme
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-29-2012, 11:25 AM
In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Paul Sture <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

> On Thu, 29 Mar 2012 08:08:28 +1100, dorayme wrote:
>
> > Be nice if the Finder, in icon view, allowed us to change and save (for
> > Finder use) the orientation of the *thumbs* from landscape to portrait
> > (and vice versa though this is more rarely needed) without need to open
> > in image software.

>
> My camera has a sensor for portrait or landscape and the resulting images
> are interpreted correctly by Finder, I assume by the use of a tag in the
> image.


That's nice, and if all cameras did that it would make it good for a
lot of people.

But whether an image is from a camera or from a screenshot or a
creation exported from art programs like Illustrator, the idea I would
like to see is the simple ability to be able to order the rotation how
user wants in Finder.

There would never be a camera that would always get *all* shots
rightly orientated according to the lights of the user: a camera might
simply not know which is *aesthetically* up or down or which is
*aesthetically* left or right, not all pics are straight photo
realistic pics of the world, not all pics have an objective
orientation. In fact, some pics look right when diomonded.

It might be tricky to do that in Finder, I really don't know. But I
imagine the thumbnail that is shown could be seen as an object with 4
marked corners, and some programming to rotate that object (and not
necessarily the actual file when opened) according to user
instructions.

I know, it is a lot to ask of Finder! But still, there should be no
harm in wishing.

--
dorayme
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Wish Matrox would make a true gaming GPU tod Matrox 1 08-24-2005 01:41 AM
Any A7N8X Deluxe owners wish they had an NF7-S ? Joe L Asus 7 12-02-2003 07:56 AM
Any NF7-S owners wish they had an A7N8X Deluxe? Joe L Abit 7 11-27-2003 01:59 PM
Oh, how I wish TYAN would monitor this site. Michael P Gabriel Tyan 1 11-13-2003 03:20 AM
3.8's coming on the 8th, wish we would get some teasers hehe Bratboy ATI 1 09-26-2003 04:13 PM


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:49 AM.


Welcome!
Welcome to Motherboard Point
 

Advertisment