Working Temperature Range for P4

Ricky Romaya

Hi,

Anybody could tell me, or point me to a resource, regarding a list of
working temperature limits of Intel Pentium4 2.0-3.4GHz processors (both
478 and LGA; northwood, presscott, and EE series)? What are the
normal/recommended working temperatures, and max safe limit for each of
those processors?

TIA

drg

I don't know of a site right off-hand but the max op. temp is 65 to 70
degrees C, I think.

My 478 2.5 intel celeron, slightly overclocked to 2.67 runs in the 20 to
30 degrees C range with just fans.

DRG

Ricky Romaya wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Anybody could tell me, or point me to a resource, regarding a list of
> working temperature limits of Intel Pentium4 2.0-3.4GHz processors (both
> 478 and LGA; northwood, presscott, and EE series)? What are the
> normal/recommended working temperatures, and max safe limit for each of
> those processors?
>
> TIA

DaveW

The ideal operating temperatures for all P4's is between 37 - 47C. The
MAXIMUM operating temp for P4's under load is 70 C.

--
DaveW

"Ricky Romaya" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Xns967617BC874A7rickyralexandriacc@66.250.146 .159...
> Hi,
>
> Anybody could tell me, or point me to a resource, regarding a list of
> working temperature limits of Intel Pentium4 2.0-3.4GHz processors (both
> 478 and LGA; northwood, presscott, and EE series)? What are the
> normal/recommended working temperatures, and max safe limit for each of
> those processors?
>
> TIA

kony

On 14 Jun 2005 18:51:09 GMT, Ricky Romaya
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>Anybody could tell me, or point me to a resource, regarding a list of
>working temperature limits of Intel Pentium4 2.0-3.4GHz processors (both
>478 and LGA; northwood, presscott, and EE series)? What are the
>normal/recommended working temperatures, and max safe limit for each of
>those processors?
>
>TIA

The temp can vary by 5-10C based on the specific CPU core
and frequency. See http://www.intel.com for the specifics
per each CPU. In general, the max temp is around 85-90C,
but the maximum temp at which one can expect stable
operation (at stock speeds) is closer to 70C, a little
higher for the lower speeds in each family and a little
higher for the upper speeds per family.

Recommended temps are dependant on the application- one
cannot realistically expect some configurations (particuarly
low-profile chassis) to provide as much airflow or heatsink
clearance as larger chassis. A ballpark might be 46C, in a
typical 24C room. IE- 22C over the ambient temp, so if your
ambient were 30C, it'd be expected that CPU temp rises to
52C. As a processor's frequency increases (with all other
things remaining equal) the heat also linearly increases, so
the upper speed Prescotts would have a bit more than 22C
rise over ambient.

If you put your questions into a context it might be easier
tailor an answer, but the general idea is that with a
typical climate-controlled room (moderate ambient temp) and
a case designed as per AMD or Intel guidelines, either CPU
will stay cool enough with the respective retail CPU boxed
heatsink... and one does not have to be concerned about
hitting any specific threshold except to keep the CPU cool
enough that it remains stable.

That max stable temp can vary per specimen of CPU also, so
it's a good idea to test this stability at full load in the
max anticipated ambient temps. Such tests much check the
work done by the CPU else errors would go unnoticed.
Towards that end Prime95's Torture Test is a good one if ran
for minimum of 45minutes, but practically for hours or a
whole day.

DRG - How in the world do you get a temp of 20C (68F) in the case? Even
30C is only 86F and that'd be only some 10-15 degrees F over normal
ambient room temp. I hope you wear a set of good long johns when you're
at your computer -- it must be in a refrigerator or maybe even a deep
freeze.

One site I saw quotes max for a P4 as 64-78 C, dependent on the
particular processor, pretty consistent with your 65-70.

In article <kbIre.1256$(E-Mail Removed)> ,
(E-Mail Removed) says...
> I don't know of a site right off-hand but the max op. temp is 65 to 70
> degrees C, I think.
>
> My 478 2.5 intel celeron, slightly overclocked to 2.67 runs in the 20 to
> 30 degrees C range with just fans.
>
> DRG

drg

DaveW wrote:
> The ideal operating temperatures for all P4's is between 37 - 47C. The
> MAXIMUM operating temp for P4's under load is 70 C.

pretty much what I said.

Clyde

Ricky Romaya wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Anybody could tell me, or point me to a resource, regarding a list of
> working temperature limits of Intel Pentium4 2.0-3.4GHz processors (both
> 478 and LGA; northwood, presscott, and EE series)? What are the
> normal/recommended working temperatures, and max safe limit for each of
> those processors?
>
> TIA

I have the P4 3.2 GHz Prescott - assuming there is only one flavor of
those. I have a Zalman CNPS7000-Cu heatsink/fan cooling it. This is a
very heavy duty cooling unit. I'm running these on an Intel D865GBF
mobo. I have the side case fan blowing in near the processor. Three
other case fans (plus powersupply) are blowing out. I monitor this with
the "Intel Active Monitor" software.

In normal operation with light loads (Firefox and Thunderbird) it says
in the low to mid 40s. Doing nothing keeps it sitting at 41C.

When I crank up Photoshop CS in batch mode and start hammering it with
some of those CPU heavy filters, the temp will work in the low to mid
50s. Intel has the "yellow" warning alarm going off at 57C. The default
"red" warning level is set at 69C. I don't know when the slowdown starts
happening.

When I hear the alarm going off for "yellow" I know that my Zalman is
getting coated with dust. It's time to shut it down and blow out the
fins and everything inside the computer. When clean, I have never been
able to get it into "yellow", even with both sides of HT maxed out. Then
again, that Zalman 7000 is a pretty good cooling tool.

Clyde

Mxsmanic

Clyde writes:

> When I hear the alarm going off for "yellow" I know that my Zalman is
> getting coated with dust.

Do you have filters on the incoming fans?

RJ

On Tue, 14 Jun 2005 16:14:00 -0700, "DaveW" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>The ideal operating temperatures for all P4's is between 37 - 47C. The
>MAXIMUM operating temp for P4's under load is 70 C.

Intel specs the max temp of my P4 2.8 Ghz (75watt) Northwood core as
75C but the Prescotts are (100watt) spec'd for a max of 65C. With
their extended pipeline, hot temperatures, higher power disipation,
and lower max temperature, I wonder why anyone gets a Prescott.
My Northwood beats a 3.0 ghz Prescott without even overclocking it.

kony

On Thu, 16 Jun 2005 04:48:57 -0700, RJ <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>On Tue, 14 Jun 2005 16:14:00 -0700, "DaveW" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>The ideal operating temperatures for all P4's is between 37 - 47C. The
>>MAXIMUM operating temp for P4's under load is 70 C.

>Intel specs the max temp of my P4 2.8 Ghz (75watt) Northwood core as
>75C but the Prescotts are (100watt) spec'd for a max of 65C. With
>their extended pipeline, hot temperatures, higher power disipation,
>and lower max temperature, I wonder why anyone gets a Prescott.
>My Northwood beats a 3.0 ghz Prescott without even overclocking it.

Same reason anyone who wasn't video-editing (et al apps
w/SSE3 opts) bought a P4 all along, that the "numbers" are
bigger. Prescott has higher MHz. Additionally, that
they're (moreso every day) becoming lower priced because
those who sell at lowest markups, sell the most stock and
turn over inventory faster, so those vendors run out of
Northwoods and are ordering what's now available in bulk-
Prescotts.