Would You Buy a Used Hard Drive?

powrwrap

I had a Western Digital 250GB IDE hard drive go belly up on me
recently. I was able to salvage almost all of the content and it's now
been removed from my Dim 4550. I grew accustomed to having extra
storage space and am thinking of getting another hard drive. The
problem is that new replacements are around $70 and I can't find new
ones outside of Western Digital. Refurbished Maxtors and WD's are
around $35-$40.

However, used ones can be found on ebay for around $20-$25. Kind of
leery about buying a used one, though. Would you buy a used hard drive?

olfart

"powrwrap" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I had a Western Digital 250GB IDE hard drive go belly up on me
> recently. I was able to salvage almost all of the content and it's now
> been removed from my Dim 4550. I grew accustomed to having extra
> storage space and am thinking of getting another hard drive. The
> problem is that new replacements are around $70 and I can't find new
> ones outside of Western Digital. Refurbished Maxtors and WD's are
> around $35-$40.
>
> However, used ones can be found on ebay for around $20-$25. Kind of
> leery about buying a used one, though. Would you buy a used hard drive?

what do you do for backup??? A brand new HD can go belly up minutes after
installation.....although not likely, it does happen... or it can last for
years. You can probably replace it under warranty, but you have plost all
your data.I use nothing but WD drives and have hd very good luck with
them,,,both IDE and Sata in my 4 desktops and 2 laptops. But I maintain
backups of all of them just in case. Have had one WD 250 go bad in about 10
years. If you value your data you can buy 2 used drives on eBay and get a
USB enclosure for one of them to backup your data. Wouldn't hurt to kep a
backup....image or clone...of your C Drive either. Will save alotof grief
later if C goes kaput

Christopher Muto

On 8/30/2011 1:17 PM, powrwrap wrote:
> I had a Western Digital 250GB IDE hard drive go belly up on me
> recently. I was able to salvage almost all of the content and it's now
> been removed from my Dim 4550. I grew accustomed to having extra
> storage space and am thinking of getting another hard drive. The
> problem is that new replacements are around $70 and I can't find new
> ones outside of Western Digital. Refurbished Maxtors and WD's are
> around $35-$40.
>
> However, used ones can be found on ebay for around $20-$25. Kind of
> leery about buying a used one, though. Would you buy a used hard drive?

your best bet is to get a syba sy-via-150r for under $20 from newegg
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...tem=15-124-023
and a fast sata disk like a 500gb seagate for under $40 with coupon code
the card comes with a sata cable so the only other thing you will need
is a molex to sata power adapter cable like this...

RnR

On Tue, 30 Aug 2011 15:15:57 -0400, Christopher Muto
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On 8/30/2011 1:17 PM, powrwrap wrote:
>> I had a Western Digital 250GB IDE hard drive go belly up on me
>> recently. I was able to salvage almost all of the content and it's now
>> been removed from my Dim 4550. I grew accustomed to having extra
>> storage space and am thinking of getting another hard drive. The
>> problem is that new replacements are around $70 and I can't find new
>> ones outside of Western Digital. Refurbished Maxtors and WD's are
>> around $35-$40.
>>
>> However, used ones can be found on ebay for around $20-$25. Kind of
>> leery about buying a used one, though. Would you buy a used hard drive?

>your best bet is to get a syba sy-via-150r for under $20 from newegg
>http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...tem=15-124-023
>and a fast sata disk like a 500gb seagate for under $40 with coupon code
>http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822148767
>the card comes with a sata cable so the only other thing you will need
>is a molex to sata power adapter cable like this...
>http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16812200819

Yeah but I think he wants to spend a lot less than $70 if I read his
post right.

But to answer his question, I wouldn't do it if given a choice
(meaning you can afford to buy a new one). This is also assuming if
you buy a new one, you like the return policy and the vendor pays for
shipping for a return. Then if you do buy a new one and it goes bad
soon after, return it and replace it under warrantee. Of course keep
in mind any drive can fail any time so a new drive could go bad after
the warrantee is up. The same goes for a used drive... it can go bad
any time. I guess it's a crap shoot either way .... just
read a lot of reviews before you buy.

powrwrap

Olfart, I've got a portable 1 TB USB drive for backups.

Christopher, I don't want to spend that kind of money on a 9 year old
computer. I'm looking to get a XPS Studio sometime next spring.

RnR, Yeah, I'm scared of buying used hard drives.

I guess the consensus is to avoid a used hard drive. Thanks for the

BillW50

On 8/30/2011 4:22 PM, powrwrap wrote:
> Olfart, I've got a portable 1 TB USB drive for backups.
>
> Christopher, I don't want to spend that kind of money on a 9 year old
> computer. I'm looking to get a XPS Studio sometime next spring.
>
> RnR, Yeah, I'm scared of buying used hard drives.
>
> I guess the consensus is to avoid a used hard drive. Thanks for the

Actually used hard drives can often be a great buy. Sure the warrantee
is less or none at all. But they are a lot less. So buy two and you are
still usually ahead.

9 year old computer? Ouch! But talking about old computers, I like the
ones from the end of 2006 myself. Why? Well because they can usually run
XP, Vista, and Windows 7 just fine. It is almost magical actually. Older
and newer ones can't usually claim support for all three. I dunno for
sure, but they might be able to handle Windows 8 too.

Now if you buy the latest and greatest, it will cost you a lot. For
example this machine cost new about 4 years ago at about $3000+. But
today you can buy it under $300 (and I have two of them). Okay some are
selling them for around $600, but don't buy those unless you really want
one.

And I always had this belief that buying PCs since '81, is that you buy
often and cheap. This usually means you buy last years model or a little
older at bargain prices (be careful about buying too old). As it beats
paying like $3000 for a wonderful machine, doesn't it? Let the people
who wants the latest and greatest to drive the slightly older stuff to
rock bottom prices.

This brings me to another point I wanted to make. Buying this way allows
you another luxury. As when you buy cheap and it doesn't work out so
good, you don't lose a lot either. But if it works out really great it
is time to get a second backup machine.

Here is what I wanted to talk about. Almost nobody will tell you that
you need backups. And I am not going to tell you differently as they are
indeed nice to have (I have tons myself). But what nobody tells you is
what good is a backup if your hardware fails.

Here is where two same model comes to play. Use the second one or store
it away, it doesn't matter (although using it from time to time is
really helpful). As so many people worry about if the hard drive fails
so we need backups.

While that is true, that is only the hard drive. Lots of things can fail
with a computer besides a hard drive. For me, that is the least of my
worries. Let's say something else goes. Say if the power supply, the
motherboard, etc. goes? Now what? You have a perfectly good hard drive,
but the computer is useless.

Most people pull the data off of the drive and go from there. That is
very time consuming if you ask me. Why not just throw the hard drive in
the same clone of the original? Now you are back and up running in a few
minutes or even seconds. ;-)

--
Bill
Alienware M9700 ('06 era) - Thunderbird v3

Christopher Muto

On 8/30/2011 5:22 PM, powrwrap wrote:

> Christopher, I don't want to spend that kind of money on a 9 year old
> computer. I'm looking to get a XPS Studio sometime next spring.

it seems that you are being penny wise and pound foolish. are you
saying that you would rather pay $25 for a used mystery pata drive from
ebay that is completely worthless once you discard this machine, or $40
for a refurbished maxtor/wd for $40, and then invest your time in
capacity sata drive with 2 year warranty that you can move to a new
system when you get one for just $60? that doesn't seem very smart.

RnR

On Tue, 30 Aug 2011 14:22:15 -0700 (PDT), powrwrap <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Olfart, I've got a portable 1 TB USB drive for backups.
>
>Christopher, I don't want to spend that kind of money on a 9 year old
>computer. I'm looking to get a XPS Studio sometime next spring.
>
>RnR, Yeah, I'm scared of buying used hard drives.
>
>I guess the consensus is to avoid a used hard drive. Thanks for the

If you're sure you will buy a new one in the Spring, if it were me,
I'd resist not buying anything till then. Or if I did, I might
consider an external usb drive so you could use it for the old or new
system. Of course this might cost more than $70 but if you could use
it toward the new system, then it's not really a waste of money.
Whatever, I'd still avoid a used drive unless you know who owned it.

Ben Myers

On Aug 30, 1:17*pm, powrwrap <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I had a Western Digital 250GB IDE hard drive go belly up on me
> recently. I was able to salvage almost all of the content and it's now
> been removed from my Dim 4550. I grew accustomed to having extra
> storage space and am thinking of getting another hard drive. The
> problem is that new replacements are around $70 and I can't find new
> ones outside of Western Digital. Refurbished Maxtors and WD's are
> around $35-$40.
>
> However, used ones can be found on ebay for around $20-$25. Kind of
> leery about buying a used one, though. Would you buy a used hard drive?

I'm missing some context. The first and most important question is
whether your 4550 is your primary computer or a backup. If it's the
primary computer, make the investment in a new drive to improve the
odds that there will not be another drive failure. If it's one or
more of your secondary computers, replace it with a newer model
supporting SATA drives. (If you are within 50 miles of Boston,
contact me offline. I have some nice Dells recently retired by
corporate America. Not expensive.)

A used drive can be fine as long as it has no bad sectors. If it has
bad sectors, it makes a good paperweight. There are several
utilities, both DOS and Windows-based, to read out the SMART data from
a drive, telling you if it has had bad sectors replaced or if there
are any pending bad sector replacements.

If a seller guarantees that the drive has no bad sectors, then it may
serve you well until you replace the computer. Problem is that decent
capacity (250GB and up) new IDE drives are now hard to find and
expensive as you have found.

I have done a few repairs lately involving failing hard drives. The
value of the data and the expense of data recovery often far outweigh
the cost of the replacement drive itself, for example a home computer
with thousands of photos and thousands of songs, over 16GB in all, I
repaired recently. Yeah, the guy was happy with the repaired computer
with all his data (and copies of the data on flash sticks), something
a Staples tech said could not be done.

So the real questions to answer here are how valuable is the data that
will be kept on a repaired 4550 and what are the consequences if all
or part of the data is lost forever? ... Ben Myers

Bob_Villa

On Aug 31, 8:19*am, Ben Myers <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
The
> value of the data and the expense of data recovery often far outweigh
> the cost of the replacement drive itself, for example a home computer
> with thousands of photos and thousands of songs, over 16GB in all, I
> repaired recently. *Yeah, the guy was happy with the repaired computer
> with all his data (and copies of the data on flash sticks), something
> a Staples tech said could not be done.
>
> So the real questions to answer here are how valuable is the data that
> will be kept on a repaired 4550 and what are the consequences if all
> or part of the data is lost forever? *... Ben Myers

Not to demean Ben's abilities here...but "usually" Windows gets hosed
and "often" you can retrieve data by putting the drive in an external
USB enclosure or adapter. My $.02