What is wrong with my RAM...?

Johanna

Hi,
I have a Shuttle with an FB61 mainboard.
I just bought 1 GB of new RAM for the free slot. The RAM is of the make
"simtec" and it is PC2700 compliant DDR SD RAM. This should be ok as per
the mainboard manual... However when this RAM is plugged in, the machine
doesn't boot! The monitor remains black and I can see that the machine
is trying, but isn't able to boot...
Please could someone explain what is going on?

I checked the stamp my existing RAM which works... this is Samsung...
This is the site that I bought it from
http://www.aria.co.uk/Products.asp
Grateful for any advise on what to do!

Regards
Johanna

Conor

In article <4192823e$(E-Mail Removed)>, Johanna says...
> Hi,
> I have a Shuttle with an FB61 mainboard.
> I just bought 1 GB of new RAM for the free slot. The RAM is of the make
> "simtec" and it is PC2700 compliant DDR SD RAM. This should be ok as per
> the mainboard manual... However when this RAM is plugged in, the machine
> doesn't boot! The monitor remains black and I can see that the machine
> is trying, but isn't able to boot...
> Please could someone explain what is going on?
>
> I checked the stamp my existing RAM which works... this is Samsung...
> This is the site that I bought it from
> http://www.aria.co.uk/Products.asp
> Grateful for any advise on what to do!

Oh dear.

Arias RAM is absolutely shite. I've had nothing but trouble with
anything but the Corsair stuff they sell. Currently I have four sticks
of 256MB PC133 that will only work in one machine. Tried them in five
seperate machines from hombuilt Intel/Via to Compaq Desktops.

I will no longer buy any RAM from them - its that dire.

--
Conor

Opinions personal, facts suspect.

Johanna

Hi Conor,
Did you get a refund from Aria?
I thought I'd simply send it back and exchange it.. But based on what
you are saying it seems that I may be best returning it and buying
elsewhere..
Not very experienced, so you would you be able to recommend somewhere in
central or SW London, or a good site?
Thanks for helping!
Jo

Conor wrote:
> In article <4192823e$(E-Mail Removed)>, Johanna says...
>
>>Hi,
>>I have a Shuttle with an FB61 mainboard.
>>I just bought 1 GB of new RAM for the free slot. The RAM is of the make
>>"simtec" and it is PC2700 compliant DDR SD RAM. This should be ok as per
>>the mainboard manual... However when this RAM is plugged in, the machine
>>doesn't boot! The monitor remains black and I can see that the machine
>>is trying, but isn't able to boot...
>>Please could someone explain what is going on?
>>
>>I checked the stamp my existing RAM which works... this is Samsung...
>>This is the site that I bought it from
>>http://www.aria.co.uk/Products.asp
>>Grateful for any advise on what to do!
>>

> Oh dear.
>
> Arias RAM is absolutely shite. I've had nothing but trouble with
> anything but the Corsair stuff they sell. Currently I have four sticks
> of 256MB PC133 that will only work in one machine. Tried them in five
> seperate machines from hombuilt Intel/Via to Compaq Desktops.
>
> I will no longer buy any RAM from them - its that dire.

David Jones

You should always buy the fastest ram for the machine.... i.e. PC3200 or
better. Secondly, I had the same problems with my ST61.
I started out using the preferred A-Data, then upgraded to Samsung , then
Kingston...... The Kingston finally workded. Go with the best brand
name.......

"Johanna" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:4192823e$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
> I have a Shuttle with an FB61 mainboard.
> I just bought 1 GB of new RAM for the free slot. The RAM is of the make
> "simtec" and it is PC2700 compliant DDR SD RAM. This should be ok as per
> the mainboard manual... However when this RAM is plugged in, the machine
> doesn't boot! The monitor remains black and I can see that the machine is
> trying, but isn't able to boot...
> Please could someone explain what is going on?
>
> I checked the stamp my existing RAM which works... this is Samsung... This
> is the site that I bought it from http://www.aria.co.uk/Products.asp
> Grateful for any advise on what to do!
>
> Regards
> Johanna

Conor

In article <41929c99$(E-Mail Removed)>, Johanna says...
> Hi Conor,
> Did you get a refund from Aria?
> I thought I'd simply send it back and exchange it.. But based on what
> you are saying it seems that I may be best returning it and buying
> elsewhere..

Can't get a refund because it does work. Its just incompatible with 80%
of the PCs I've tried it on but its up to the buyer to ensure it is
compatible.

--
Conor

Opinions personal, facts suspect.

Johanna

That's awful! I am really angry! It cost me well over 100 and adheres
to what the mother board manual recommends!

I called them today, and instead of just saying that I should send it
back for a refund, they insisted that I generate a return code on their
website...! When I have got this, I can return it...

I am not one to back off easily though, will let you know!

Conor wrote:
> In article <41929c99$(E-Mail Removed)>, Johanna says...
>
>>Hi Conor,
>>Did you get a refund from Aria?
>>I thought I'd simply send it back and exchange it.. But based on what
>>you are saying it seems that I may be best returning it and buying
>>elsewhere..

> Can't get a refund because it does work. Its just incompatible with 80%
> of the PCs I've tried it on but its up to the buyer to ensure it is
> compatible.

Johanna

Oh, typical! I got your advise too late! Stopped by PC World and picked
up 512 as opposed to 1 gb of ram. It was the best they stocked, but not
any of the makes you mentioned. Haven't tested it yet.
Jo

David Jones wrote:

> You should always buy the fastest ram for the machine.... i.e. PC3200 or
> better. Secondly, I had the same problems with my ST61.
> I started out using the preferred A-Data, then upgraded to Samsung , then
> Kingston...... The Kingston finally workded. Go with the best brand
> name.......
>
> "Johanna" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:4192823e$(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>>Hi,
>>I have a Shuttle with an FB61 mainboard.
>>I just bought 1 GB of new RAM for the free slot. The RAM is of the make
>>"simtec" and it is PC2700 compliant DDR SD RAM. This should be ok as per
>>the mainboard manual... However when this RAM is plugged in, the machine
>>doesn't boot! The monitor remains black and I can see that the machine is
>>trying, but isn't able to boot...
>>Please could someone explain what is going on?
>>
>>I checked the stamp my existing RAM which works... this is Samsung... This
>>is the site that I bought it from http://www.aria.co.uk/Products.asp
>>Grateful for any advise on what to do!
>>
>>Regards
>>Johanna

Unallocated space: What's wrong? aether Abit 38 03-24-2005 10:37 PM
SATA - what is wrong? Swidr Abit 1 08-09-2004 02:32 PM
something must be wrong right? Tompa Abit 2 07-27-2004 02:57 AM
KT7a (v1.1-1.2) Hardware monitoring? V-Core wrong? Asestar Abit 4 02-12-2004 07:44 PM
Flashmenu exits to desktop when run. What's wrong? rms Abit 7 01-30-2004 09:09 PM