WTD: T43p (2668) recovery disc set - please can anyone assist?

DCA

I have been running Linux for a couple of years and now that my T43 has
reached the 'give it to the kids' stage, I really need to put Windows
back on it.
Sadly, my recovery partition is gone.
Can anyone loan/sell me a recovery CD set? I am just not willing to pay
40 (+VAT and del) to IBM for a machine of this age.
Anyone - please?
David
(reply address valid but remove MAPS)

~misfit~

Somewhere on teh intarwebs DCA wrote:
> I have been running Linux for a couple of years and now that my T43
> has reached the 'give it to the kids' stage, I really need to put
> Windows back on it.
> Sadly, my recovery partition is gone.
> Can anyone loan/sell me a recovery CD set? I am just not willing to
> pay 40 (+VAT and del) to IBM for a machine of this age.
> Anyone - please?
> David
> (reply address valid but remove MAPS)

David, you really don't need the recovery disc set. All you need is a
Windows install disc, install using the number from the COA on the bottom,
then download and install the ethernet or modem driver, (so you can connect
to teh intarwebs) then download and run ThinkVantage System Update. It'll
find all the drivers and updates that you need and install them for you. If
you're using the modem it could take a while but on broadband it's pretty
good.

I run all ThinkPads myself but recently have been roped into fixing a few
different machines for people, FoC too I might add. (Alienware, Toshiba,
Compaq..) Us TP users generally don't know how lucky we are in having such
an awesome application as TVSU. I've spent days and days downloading drivers
for other brands, often having multiple attempts until I get the right one.
(Toshibas are TERRIBLE for this! I have one put aside for a while, I'm so
frustrated with it. 2GHz C2D too so it's not like it's ancient.)

With a ThinkPad all you need is the ethernet driver (which is easy to find
first time) and TVSU and you're pretty much done. I'm going to try really
hard to refuse the next person who brings me a laptop to 'look at' that
isn't a ThinkPad. Trouble is it's got out now that I can fix things and, due
to being an invalid on welfare I'm in a low-rent part of town where people
can't afford $80/hour plus parts to get their machines fixed. The trickle is
turning into a flood. One woman whom I barely know bought me *three* laptops
yesterday.

Gotta draw the line.... My mother always said that my generosity needed to
be reigned in or it'd cause me major problems....

Cheers,
--
Shaun.

DCA

~misfit~ wrote:
> Somewhere on teh intarwebs DCA wrote:
>> I have been running Linux for a couple of years and now that my T43
>> has reached the 'give it to the kids' stage, I really need to put
>> Windows back on it.
>> Sadly, my recovery partition is gone.
>> Can anyone loan/sell me a recovery CD set? I am just not willing to
>> pay 40 (+VAT and del) to IBM for a machine of this age.
>> Anyone - please?
>> David
>> (reply address valid but remove MAPS)

> David, you really don't need the recovery disc set. All you need is a
> Windows install disc, install using the number from the COA on the bottom,
> then download and install the ethernet or modem driver, (so you can connect
> to teh intarwebs) then download and run ThinkVantage System Update. It'll
> find all the drivers and updates that you need and install them for you. If
> you're using the modem it could take a while but on broadband it's pretty
> good.
>
> I run all ThinkPads myself but recently have been roped into fixing a few
> different machines for people, FoC too I might add. (Alienware, Toshiba,
> Compaq..) Us TP users generally don't know how lucky we are in having such
> an awesome application as TVSU. I've spent days and days downloading drivers
> for other brands, often having multiple attempts until I get the right one.
> (Toshibas are TERRIBLE for this! I have one put aside for a while, I'm so
> frustrated with it. 2GHz C2D too so it's not like it's ancient.)
>
> With a ThinkPad all you need is the ethernet driver (which is easy to find
> first time) and TVSU and you're pretty much done. I'm going to try really
> hard to refuse the next person who brings me a laptop to 'look at' that
> isn't a ThinkPad. Trouble is it's got out now that I can fix things and, due
> to being an invalid on welfare I'm in a low-rent part of town where people
> can't afford $80/hour plus parts to get their machines fixed. The trickle is
> turning into a flood. One woman whom I barely know bought me *three* laptops
> yesterday.
>
> Gotta draw the line.... My mother always said that my generosity needed to
> be reigned in or it'd cause me major problems....
>
> Cheers,

I have emailed you direct (if I have got the address right!)

~misfit~

Somewhere on teh intarwebs DCA wrote:
> ~misfit~ wrote:

[snip]
> I have emailed you direct (if I have got the address right!)

You did indeed. Good chatting with you.
--
Shaun.