xeon 5160 3 GHz and gigabyte GA-7VCSV-RH board problems

derf109@gmail.com

Here's what I have:

Xeon 5160 3.0 GHZ CPU (just one)
Gigabyte GA-7VCSV-RH board
2 GB Kingston RAM
PC Power Cooling 'Silencer 610' power supply

Power into the board with CPU and memory (no PCI cards) via connecting
both
24-pin cable and aux power cable: nothing.

Unplug 24-pin cable and plug it into a power supply tester: all lights
come on fine.
Leave aux cable in, keep 24-pin cable in tester: system turns on (CPU
fan spins,
no video though).

I've replaced the board once. Can't be a bad board.
PC Power Cooling people tell me PS is OK, tester verifies this.

What else could the problem be?
Do I HAVE to put 2 Xeon 5160s in the board? Currently I'm using only
one (yes,
it's in the right socket and in the correct orientation).
Or is this 5160 not compatible with the board?
Gigabyte said it was.
Or is it just a bad CPU? How can I test THAT without getting the
whole system to work
to begin with?

Thanks in advance

Arno Wagner

In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.misc (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> Here's what I have:

> Xeon 5160 3.0 GHZ CPU (just one)
> Gigabyte GA-7VCSV-RH board
> 2 GB Kingston RAM
> PC Power Cooling 'Silencer 610' power supply

> Power into the board with CPU and memory (no PCI cards) via connecting
> both
> 24-pin cable and aux power cable: nothing.

> Unplug 24-pin cable and plug it into a power supply tester: all lights
> come on fine.
> Leave aux cable in, keep 24-pin cable in tester: system turns on (CPU
> fan spins,
> no video though).

> I've replaced the board once. Can't be a bad board.
> PC Power Cooling people tell me PS is OK, tester verifies this.

> What else could the problem be?
> Do I HAVE to put 2 Xeon 5160s in the board? Currently I'm using only
> one (yes,
> it's in the right socket and in the correct orientation).
> Or is this 5160 not compatible with the board?
> Gigabyte said it was.
> Or is it just a bad CPU? How can I test THAT without getting the
> whole system to work
> to begin with?

An LED power tester does not tell you enough. For example +5VSB
cpule be too low. Had this recently with a PSU, were +5VSB
only had 4.1V, not enough to turn on the mainboard, but
probably enough fpr a cheap PSU tester, since it will likely
not test this voltage in a meaningful way.

Plug in both connectors to the maonboard and then measure +5VSB
(should be violet). Also, wothout swithcin the board on,
it will likely not do anything. Second step is to connect the
power switch and see whether you can turn it on that way.

Arno

xeon 5160 3 GHz and gigabyte GA-7VCSV-RH board problems derf109@gmail.com IBM 4 06-10-2007 04:04 AM
any benchmarks on Intel Xeon model 5160 Woodcrest Core 2 Duo 3.0Ghz ? inventor Overclocking 1 09-08-2006 06:19 PM
Dual-Core Xeon vs 2 seperate Xeon on Motherboard stoppal@hotmail.com Intel 8 05-02-2006 04:39 PM
1.8 gHz Xeon vs. 2.8 gHz P4 Bill Intel 9 01-07-2005 01:50 AM
OT: Where can one get heatsinks for P4 Xeon 2.66 GHz socket 603 Lothar Asus 2 10-15-2003 09:48 PM