XP 3200+ operating temperature

tdstr

Greetings

I have a XP 3200+(not certain on the revision) that is not being oc'd
yet. As it stand right now the cpu is hovering between 51-58c because
of the midwest heat wave we're having. In normal temp conditions the
cpu never gets pass 51c. According to AMD they state this cpu *could*
go to 81c. Before I even attempt to oc my rig I'd like to get a better
understanding of the ideal operating temp for the XP3200+. What is the
recommended ideal temp for the 3200+? A few times I've seen the cpu hit
61c...should I be concerned?

Wes Newell

On Mon, 17 Jul 2006 11:33:35 -0500, tdstr wrote:

> I have a XP 3200+(not certain on the revision) that is not being oc'd
> yet. As it stand right now the cpu is hovering between 51-58c because
> of the midwest heat wave we're having. In normal temp conditions the
> cpu never gets pass 51c. According to AMD they state this cpu *could*
> go to 81c. Before I even attempt to oc my rig I'd like to get a better
> understanding of the ideal operating temp for the XP3200+. What is the
> recommended ideal temp for the 3200+? A few times I've seen the cpu hit
> 61c...should I be concerned?

You have the top of the line K7 CPU. It isn't going to overclock enough
fool with. If it's stable now, leave it alone. If you need something
faster look at newer platforms after the upcoming cpu pricing cuts in
about a week. And start researching the new CPU's on about any hardware
site.

tdstr

Wes Newell wrote:
> On Mon, 17 Jul 2006 11:33:35 -0500, tdstr wrote:
>
>> I have a XP 3200+(not certain on the revision) that is not being oc'd
>> yet. As it stand right now the cpu is hovering between 51-58c because
>> of the midwest heat wave we're having. In normal temp conditions the
>> cpu never gets pass 51c. According to AMD they state this cpu *could*
>> go to 81c. Before I even attempt to oc my rig I'd like to get a better
>> understanding of the ideal operating temp for the XP3200+. What is the
>> recommended ideal temp for the 3200+? A few times I've seen the cpu hit
>> 61c...should I be concerned?

> You have the top of the line K7 CPU. It isn't going to overclock enough
> fool with. If it's stable now, leave it alone. If you need something
> faster look at newer platforms after the upcoming cpu pricing cuts in
> about a week. And start researching the new CPU's on about any hardware
> site.

Heard that before and it makes sense.

But it still begs the question; am I running too hot as it is? Should I
be concerned about overheating?

Ed Light

When they go past 60C they are prone to making errors.

--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Send spam to the FTC at
(E-Mail Removed)
Thanks, robots.

Bring the Troops Home:
http://bringthemhomenow.org

Wes Newell

On Mon, 17 Jul 2006 12:44:51 -0500, tdstr wrote:

> Wes Newell wrote:
>> On Mon, 17 Jul 2006 11:33:35 -0500, tdstr wrote:
>>
>>> I have a XP 3200+(not certain on the revision) that is not being oc'd
>>> yet. As it stand right now the cpu is hovering between 51-58c because
>>> of the midwest heat wave we're having. In normal temp conditions the
>>> cpu never gets pass 51c. According to AMD they state this cpu *could*
>>> go to 81c. Before I even attempt to oc my rig I'd like to get a better
>>> understanding of the ideal operating temp for the XP3200+. What is the
>>> recommended ideal temp for the 3200+? A few times I've seen the cpu hit
>>> 61c...should I be concerned?

>> You have the top of the line K7 CPU. It isn't going to overclock enough
>> fool with. If it's stable now, leave it alone. If you need something
>> faster look at newer platforms after the upcoming cpu pricing cuts in
>> about a week. And start researching the new CPU's on about any hardware
>> site.
>>

> Heard that before and it makes sense.
>
> But it still begs the question; am I running too hot as it is? Should I
> be concerned about overheating?

Anything under 60C is ok. Or more accurately, anything 25C or less under
ambient at full load is fine, not to exceed about 65C (IMO). Could you do
better than you do now, maybe, but why worry about it if you aren't having
any problems.

tdstr

Wes Newell wrote:
> On Mon, 17 Jul 2006 12:44:51 -0500, tdstr wrote:
>
>> Wes Newell wrote:

>>> You have the top of the line K7 CPU. It isn't going to overclock enough
>>> fool with. If it's stable now, leave it alone. If you need something
>>> faster look at newer platforms after the upcoming cpu pricing cuts in
>>> about a week. And start researching the new CPU's on about any hardware
>>> site.
>>>

>> Heard that before and it makes sense.
>>
>> But it still begs the question; am I running too hot as it is? Should I
>> be concerned about overheating?

> Anything under 60C is ok. Or more accurately, anything 25C or less under
> ambient at full load is fine, not to exceed about 65C (IMO). Could you do
> better than you do now, maybe, but why worry about it if you aren't having
> any problems.

Just exactly what I was looking for. I was getting worried as my
upstairs home office is approaching the 100f mark. My pc must be happy
with the cpu temp as I never really had thermal issues with it in the
past. Thanx!

Frank

"tdstr" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Greetings
>
> I have a XP 3200+(not certain on the revision) that is not being oc'd yet.
> As it stand right now the cpu is hovering between 51-58c because of the
> midwest heat wave we're having. In normal temp conditions the cpu never
> gets pass 51c. According to AMD they state this cpu *could* go to 81c.
> Before I even attempt to oc my rig I'd like to get a better understanding
> of the ideal operating temp for the XP3200+. What is the recommended
> ideal temp for the 3200+? A few times I've seen the cpu hit 61c...should
> I be concerned?

If you're running that hot I 'd get am thermaltake cpu cooler. to get you
down to s safer level. Or if you have a floor vent in you house where you ac
comes up through. Park your pc there. nothing wrong with some ac for the pc
Frank Sharkey
Stage IV Rectal Cancer Paitent
Dx'd 10/1/05 and Plan to be here
for a great while longer!! ;-)