XP and G400 : How to activate "Dual Head Clone" ?

NumberOne29@Yahoo.com

Hi all,

I'm using a G400max, and I recently upgraded my win98se
to XP Home (SP1).

I installed the latest Matrox driver (5.88.061) on XP.

I want to use the "Dual Head Clone" feature (as I was doing
in win98), to get a "copy" of my display on my TV set.

I was able to activate the "Multi-diplay" mode, but I can't
find how to activate the "clone" mode. It stays deactivated,
and I don't see how to activate it.

Has anyone made the "clone" mode work with XP (with a lower
resolution on the TV if needs be)?

My final goal is to to display windows media player files
full screen on my TV.

Thanks.

John

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:dp_Wa.11735$(E-Mail Removed) ...
> Hi all,
>
> I'm using a G400max, and I recently upgraded my win98se
> to XP Home (SP1).
>
> I installed the latest Matrox driver (5.88.061) on XP.
>
> I want to use the "Dual Head Clone" feature (as I was doing
> in win98), to get a "copy" of my display on my TV set.
>
> I was able to activate the "Multi-diplay" mode, but I can't
> find how to activate the "clone" mode. It stays deactivated,
> and I don't see how to activate it.
>
> Has anyone made the "clone" mode work with XP (with a lower
> resolution on the TV if needs be)?
>
> My final goal is to to display windows media player files
> full screen on my TV.
>
> Thanks.

G400 clone mode definitely works on XP. You just have some minor config
problem.

To play most media files all your really need is DVD_Max mode (rather than
clone mode).

My first suggestion is to connect up your TV or VCR before you boot the PC.
But first, go into
DisplayProperites/Advanced/DualHead/Features/DualHeadClone and make sure you
have it enabled. Then selected ChangeSettings/HotKeys and map a key to it
(eg. Ctrl-F10) for fast enabling/disabling of the clone mode.

Cliff

Hi,

I'm currently using XP and having TV Out working okay with my G400Max. I
only use it to play media files (e.g. streaming media from Windows Media
Player, WinDVD, RealPlayer, etc).

No need to activate 'clone' mode - just DVDMax
- select DualHead DVDMax
- click on 'change settings' box at bottom of the page.
- check 'use DualHead DVDMax'

Click OK.

You will now see DualHead DVDMax listed with value 'enabled but not
currently active'.

A rare problem that some people have is the video playing back weirdly on
the TV - green and purple image is shown. Solution to this is to change
your 'color quality' to 16 bit. I only have it periodically, so I leave my
setting at 32 bit, and change it back to 16 bit when the problem occurs.

Cheers, Cliff

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:dp_Wa.11735$(E-Mail Removed) ...
> Hi all,
>
> I'm using a G400max, and I recently upgraded my win98se
> to XP Home (SP1).
>
> I installed the latest Matrox driver (5.88.061) on XP.
>
> I want to use the "Dual Head Clone" feature (as I was doing
> in win98), to get a "copy" of my display on my TV set.
>
> I was able to activate the "Multi-diplay" mode, but I can't
> find how to activate the "clone" mode. It stays deactivated,
> and I don't see how to activate it.
>
> Has anyone made the "clone" mode work with XP (with a lower
> resolution on the TV if needs be)?
>
> My final goal is to to display windows media player files
> full screen on my TV.
>
> Thanks.

Larc

On Mon, 4 Aug 2003 08:01:21 +1000, Garrett Prestage pondered exceedingly, then
took quill in hand and carefully composed...

| My understanding was that the TV-out function - & therefore the Clone
| function - could not be enabled under XP. This is my complaint with Matrox's
| lack of consumer support. On my XP system there is no option to enable the
| Dual Head.

Have you tried the Matrox Support Forum?

http://www.matrox.com/mga/support/forum/agree.cfm

Larc

- Please raise temperature of mail to reply by e-mail -

Garrett Prestage

Hmm... This all stands in complete contrast to everything else I've been
told. Anyway I've tried following the various instructions & it almost seems
to be there (at least the option to enable is now available), but I've run
up against an added problem. There is aprogram called Adobe Type Manager on
my system (I don't even know where it came from or what its purpose might
be) & apparently the Dual Head function cannot work while this program is
installed. However when I go to Control Panel it won't let me remove it
(comes up with a message saying it can only function on Windows 95 & so
doesn't even let me into the menus to allow me to uninstall it. Anyone come
up against this problem & how did you get around it?

Garrett Prestage

"Cliff" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:3f2d91f3$0$10359$(E-Mail Removed) u...
> Hi,
>
> I'm currently using XP and having TV Out working okay with my G400Max. I
> only use it to play media files (e.g. streaming media from Windows Media
> Player, WinDVD, RealPlayer, etc).
>
> No need to activate 'clone' mode - just DVDMax
> - select DualHead DVDMax
> - click on 'change settings' box at bottom of the page.
> - check 'use DualHead DVDMax'
>
> Click OK.
>
> You will now see DualHead DVDMax listed with value 'enabled but not
> currently active'.
>
> A rare problem that some people have is the video playing back weirdly on
> the TV - green and purple image is shown. Solution to this is to change
> your 'color quality' to 16 bit. I only have it periodically, so I leave

my
> setting at 32 bit, and change it back to 16 bit when the problem occurs.
>
> Cheers, Cliff
>

> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:dp_Wa.11735$(E-Mail Removed) ...
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I'm using a G400max, and I recently upgraded my win98se
> > to XP Home (SP1).
> >
> > I installed the latest Matrox driver (5.88.061) on XP.
> >
> > I want to use the "Dual Head Clone" feature (as I was doing
> > in win98), to get a "copy" of my display on my TV set.
> >
> > I was able to activate the "Multi-diplay" mode, but I can't
> > find how to activate the "clone" mode. It stays deactivated,
> > and I don't see how to activate it.
> >
> > Has anyone made the "clone" mode work with XP (with a lower
> > resolution on the TV if needs be)?
> >
> > My final goal is to to display windows media player files
> > full screen on my TV.
> >
> > Thanks.

Cliff

Sorry, haven't had this problem, but perhaps you can disable it from loading
(using msconfig or removing it from the startup group). If that fails, you
could also try to kill the process via Task Manager, though you might need
to be wary if some application needs it. Sounds like it just a font manager
of some sort.

"Garrett Prestage" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bgmpmu$e6l$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hmm... This all stands in complete contrast to everything else I've been
> told. Anyway I've tried following the various instructions & it almost

seems
> to be there (at least the option to enable is now available), but I've run
> up against an added problem. There is aprogram called Adobe Type Manager

on
> my system (I don't even know where it came from or what its purpose might
> be) & apparently the Dual Head function cannot work while this program is
> installed. However when I go to Control Panel it won't let me remove it
> (comes up with a message saying it can only function on Windows 95 & so
> doesn't even let me into the menus to allow me to uninstall it. Anyone

come
> up against this problem & how did you get around it?
>
> Garrett Prestage
>

> "Cliff" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:3f2d91f3$0$10359$(E-Mail Removed) u...
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm currently using XP and having TV Out working okay with my G400Max.

> > only use it to play media files (e.g. streaming media from Windows Media
> > Player, WinDVD, RealPlayer, etc).
> >
> > No need to activate 'clone' mode - just DVDMax
> > - select DualHead DVDMax
> > - click on 'change settings' box at bottom of the page.
> > - check 'use DualHead DVDMax'
> >
> > Click OK.
> >
> > You will now see DualHead DVDMax listed with value 'enabled but not
> > currently active'.
> >
> > A rare problem that some people have is the video playing back weirdly

on
> > the TV - green and purple image is shown. Solution to this is to change
> > your 'color quality' to 16 bit. I only have it periodically, so I leave

> my
> > setting at 32 bit, and change it back to 16 bit when the problem occurs.
> >
> > Cheers, Cliff
> >

> > <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:dp_Wa.11735$(E-Mail Removed) ...
> > > Hi all,
> > >
> > > I'm using a G400max, and I recently upgraded my win98se
> > > to XP Home (SP1).
> > >
> > > I installed the latest Matrox driver (5.88.061) on XP.
> > >
> > > I want to use the "Dual Head Clone" feature (as I was doing
> > > in win98), to get a "copy" of my display on my TV set.
> > >
> > > I was able to activate the "Multi-diplay" mode, but I can't
> > > find how to activate the "clone" mode. It stays deactivated,
> > > and I don't see how to activate it.
> > >
> > > Has anyone made the "clone" mode work with XP (with a lower
> > > resolution on the TV if needs be)?
> > >
> > > My final goal is to to display windows media player files
> > > full screen on my TV.
> > >
> > > Thanks.

Mojo

Yes, this comes as part of Photoshop (and with Acrobat, I think). You don't
need it.

Remove the shortcut from your "startup" folder.

Or rename the target executable (mine is called

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Calibration\Adobe Gamma Loader.exe

so you could rename the program to "Adobe Gamma Loader.exe.not" and it won't
run.

If you have any luck with the dual-head card, follow up and tell us about
it.

"Cliff" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:3f2f1f0b$0$10358$(E-Mail Removed) u...
> Sorry, haven't had this problem, but perhaps you can disable it from

> (using msconfig or removing it from the startup group). If that fails,

you
> could also try to kill the process via Task Manager, though you might need
> to be wary if some application needs it. Sounds like it just a font

manager
> of some sort.
>

> "Garrett Prestage" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:bgmpmu$e6l$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hmm... This all stands in complete contrast to everything else I've been
> > told. Anyway I've tried following the various instructions & it almost

> seems
> > to be there (at least the option to enable is now available), but I've

run
> > up against an added problem. There is aprogram called Adobe Type Manager

> on
> > my system (I don't even know where it came from or what its purpose

might
> > be) & apparently the Dual Head function cannot work while this program

is
> > installed. However when I go to Control Panel it won't let me remove it
> > (comes up with a message saying it can only function on Windows 95 & so
> > doesn't even let me into the menus to allow me to uninstall it. Anyone

> come
> > up against this problem & how did you get around it?
> >
> > Garrett Prestage
> >

> > "Cliff" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:3f2d91f3$0$10359$(E-Mail Removed) u...
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I'm currently using XP and having TV Out working okay with my

G400Max.
> > > only use it to play media files (e.g. streaming media from Windows

Media
> > > Player, WinDVD, RealPlayer, etc).
> > >
> > > No need to activate 'clone' mode - just DVDMax
> > > - select DualHead DVDMax
> > > - click on 'change settings' box at bottom of the page.
> > > - check 'use DualHead DVDMax'
> > >
> > > Click OK.
> > >
> > > You will now see DualHead DVDMax listed with value 'enabled but not
> > > currently active'.
> > >
> > > A rare problem that some people have is the video playing back weirdly

> on
> > > the TV - green and purple image is shown. Solution to this is to

change
> > > your 'color quality' to 16 bit. I only have it periodically, so I

leave
> > my
> > > setting at 32 bit, and change it back to 16 bit when the problem

occurs.

> > > Cheers, Cliff
> > >

> > > <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > > news:dp_Wa.11735$(E-Mail Removed) ...

Garrett Prestage

Thanx Mojo

Yes, that worked but it merely exposed that that wasn't the real problem so
I did a lot more fiddling around & finally I have got the dual-head function
working - but it isn't as simple as it used to be under Win 98. First I had
to install the unofficial drivers at http://adis.szm.com . Then I had to
activate the secondary monitor on the initial menu of the Display
Properties. And then I had to switch on the Dual-Head - but the trick to
that was to set up a hot key for the feature. However, when you want to
switch modes it isn't as simple as simply using the hot keys - I find I have
to actually go into the menus again & turn on the features by setting up the
hot keys again from scratch. Anyway I've made it work - however, now I'm
having problems with the Matrox PC-VCR. The video screen just freezes but I
can it turn off via the remote. I suspect the problem is it can't function
while the Dual Head feature is on.

Garrett Prestage

news:gEFXa.5$(E-Mail Removed)2.webusenet.com...