XP Pro SP2 Integrated asking what type of PC I have? (P5B-VM w/Core 2 Duo E6600 2.4GHz)

Holy Crikey

Once I finished putting my system together, I stuck my XP Pro CD and
proceeded with the installation. But right away a menu came up asking
me what type of computer I have:
ACPI multiprocessor PC
ACPI uniprocessor PC
ACPI PC
Compaq something (which it isn't)
SMP multiprocessor PC (I think it said SMP)
SMP uniprocessor PC
Standard PC
Other

I called a couple of friends of mine and they've never seen such a
menu during an installation process.

I also have Seagate SATAII drives, along with just some Kingston
667NHz PC2-5300 CL5 sticks. What should I choose in this case?
Thanks.

Daniel Mandic

Holy Crikey wrote:

> Once I finished putting my system together, I stuck my XP Pro CD and
> proceeded with the installation. But right away a menu came up asking
> me what type of computer I have:
> ACPI multiprocessor PC
> ACPI uniprocessor PC
> ACPI PC
> Compaq something (which it isn't)
> SMP multiprocessor PC (I think it said SMP)
> SMP uniprocessor PC
> Standard PC
> Other
>
> I called a couple of friends of mine and they've never seen such a
> menu during an installation process.
>
> I also have Seagate SATAII drives, along with just some Kingston
> 667NHz PC2-5300 CL5 sticks. What should I choose in this case?
> Thanks.

ACPI PC

I guess XP NT5.1 is still loading the multiprocessoer kernel while
Setup. Choosing "ACPI PC" selects IMO the right kernel for your setup.
Multi or uni...

Standard PC will not work with your new board, with all available
devices ON. (USB's, SATA, ATA, Sound, LAN, etc...)
You'll get more devices on the same IRQ, lags and crashes.
ACPI turns your XT/AT based PC to 31 IRQ's and more.. enough for any
Board with much onboard features/devices.
Allthough, Standard PC is the fastest config for an iP586/686. No IRq
sharing, every device have its own IRQ (0-15), 16IRQ's. But you are
limited to IRQ 9-12 (max. 4 devices, beside the standard fix-IRQ's,
maybe 5....)

Best Regards,

Daniel Mandic

Holy Crikey

On 06 Dec 2006 22:49:35 GMT, "Daniel Mandic" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Holy Crikey wrote:
>
>> Once I finished putting my system together, I stuck my XP Pro CD and
>> proceeded with the installation. But right away a menu came up asking
>> me what type of computer I have:
>> ACPI multiprocessor PC
>> ACPI uniprocessor PC
>> ACPI PC
>> Compaq something (which it isn't)
>> SMP multiprocessor PC (I think it said SMP)
>> SMP uniprocessor PC
>> Standard PC
>> Other
>>
>> I called a couple of friends of mine and they've never seen such a
>> menu during an installation process.
>>
>> I also have Seagate SATAII drives, along with just some Kingston
>> 667NHz PC2-5300 CL5 sticks. What should I choose in this case?
>> Thanks.

>ACPI PC
>
>I guess XP NT5.1 is still loading the multiprocessoer kernel while
>Setup. Choosing "ACPI PC" selects IMO the right kernel for your setup.
>Multi or uni...
>
>Standard PC will not work with your new board, with all available
>devices ON. (USB's, SATA, ATA, Sound, LAN, etc...)
>You'll get more devices on the same IRQ, lags and crashes.
>ACPI turns your XT/AT based PC to 31 IRQ's and more.. enough for any
>Board with much onboard features/devices.
>Allthough, Standard PC is the fastest config for an iP586/686. No IRq
>sharing, every device have its own IRQ (0-15), 16IRQ's. But you are
>limited to IRQ 9-12 (max. 4 devices, beside the standard fix-IRQ's,
>maybe 5....)
>
>Best Regards,
>
>Daniel Mandic

Daniel, thanks for such a quick reply. Really appreciate it.
Somebody else I asked about my problem said that I should choose ACPI
PC as well. However, he was leaning more towards the ACPI
multiprocessor PC since I have a Core 2 Duo. I know you said that
whether multi or uni...but would appreciate it if you can confirm that
that's not necessary and just choose ACPI PC for my system? Many
thanks.

DRS

"Holy Crikey" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)

[...]

> Daniel, thanks for such a quick reply. Really appreciate it.
> Somebody else I asked about my problem said that I should choose ACPI
> PC as well. However, he was leaning more towards the ACPI
> multiprocessor PC since I have a Core 2 Duo. I know you said that
> whether multi or uni...but would appreciate it if you can confirm that
> that's not necessary and just choose ACPI PC for my system? Many
> thanks.

I must admit I've never seen this menu either, but with a Core 2 Duo you
want the XP multiprocessor Hardware Abstraction Layer (HAL) so ACPI
multiprocessor PC should be the logical choice.

Daniel Mandic

DRS wrote:

> > Daniel, thanks for such a quick reply. Really appreciate it.
> > Somebody else I asked about my problem said that I should choose
> > ACPI PC as well. However, he was leaning more towards the ACPI
> > multiprocessor PC since I have a Core 2 Duo. I know you said that
> > whether multi or uni...but would appreciate it if you can confirm
> > that that's not necessary and just choose ACPI PC for my system?
> > Many thanks.

> I must admit I've never seen this menu either, but with a Core 2 Duo
> you want the XP multiprocessor Hardware Abstraction Layer (HAL) so
> ACPI multiprocessor PC should be the logical choice.

Hi DRS!

Yeh, it's possible that a real dual CPU needs an extra invitation by
choosing the MultiCPU firstly

Otherwise NT (as I know), always starts the multi-kernel while setup.

Crikey... , (I knew I could write it one time)

he should watch after the finished setup, if the multi-kernel is
installed, somewhere in Device Manager. Wether 'ACPI PC' or 'ACPI
Multi' chosen....
Single CPU is surely false. Choosing 'ACPI PC' could lead to a
single-core setup, but I am not sure about. It's also possible that
choosing Multi makes troubles, or that 'ACPI PC' and 'Multi ACPI' set
XP up the same, at the end.

I guess Single is for Single, Multi is explicitely Multi and 'ACPI PC'
looks self what is really installed. IMO the best choice!!!
Hyperthreading?? and so on... who knows? Former Dual CPU's are not the
same as today dual- and dual core -CPU's.

Service Pack 2... etc...

Best Regards,

Daniel Mandic

Daniel Mandic

Daniel Mandic wrote:

> I guess XP NT5.1 is still loading the multiprocessoer kernel while
> Setup. Choosing "ACPI PC" selects IMO the right kernel for your setup.
> Multi or uni...

A women I know (engineer, becoming...), managed to install NT4_WS and
after setup the MultiCPU Kernel have not changed to UniCPU operation.
Don't ask me how she could manage such [P166, P54C-Pentium w/o MMX,
~1996]

Best Regards,

Daniel Mandic

Roger Hamlett

"Holy Crikey" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Once I finished putting my system together, I stuck my XP Pro CD and
> proceeded with the installation. But right away a menu came up asking
> me what type of computer I have:
> ACPI multiprocessor PC
> ACPI uniprocessor PC
> ACPI PC
> Compaq something (which it isn't)
> SMP multiprocessor PC (I think it said SMP)
> SMP uniprocessor PC
> Standard PC
> Other
>
> I called a couple of friends of mine and they've never seen such a
> menu during an installation process.
>
> I also have Seagate SATAII drives, along with just some Kingston
> 667NHz PC2-5300 CL5 sticks. What should I choose in this case?
> Thanks.

It is very 'odd' indeed, to be presented with such a menu. I remember
having this a while ago, with XP server, when installing on a machine with
a slightly unusual BIOS. It suggests that XP's autodetection is failing.
Verify that ACPI is enabled in the BIOS. It might be that XP is seeing
that this 'ought' to be an ACPI machine, but is finding it is disabled in
the BIOS, and hence the list.
The correct setting for a Core2 Duo, is 'ACPI multiprocessor PC', and this
is the default from an automatic install. It'll also work using 'SMP
multiprocessor PC', but without most of the power management features.

Best Wishes

Rip RocK

On 07 Dec 2006 11:10:30 GMT, "Daniel Mandic" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>DRS wrote:
>
>> > Daniel, thanks for such a quick reply. Really appreciate it.
>> > Somebody else I asked about my problem said that I should choose
>> > ACPI PC as well. However, he was leaning more towards the ACPI
>> > multiprocessor PC since I have a Core 2 Duo. I know you said that
>> > whether multi or uni...but would appreciate it if you can confirm
>> > that that's not necessary and just choose ACPI PC for my system?
>> > Many thanks.

>> I must admit I've never seen this menu either, but with a Core 2 Duo
>> you want the XP multiprocessor Hardware Abstraction Layer (HAL) so
>> ACPI multiprocessor PC should be the logical choice.

>Hi DRS!
>
>Yeh, it's possible that a real dual CPU needs an extra invitation by
>choosing the MultiCPU firstly
>
>Otherwise NT (as I know), always starts the multi-kernel while setup.
>
>Crikey... , (I knew I could write it one time)
>
> he should watch after the finished setup, if the multi-kernel is
>installed, somewhere in Device Manager. Wether 'ACPI PC' or 'ACPI
>Multi' chosen....
>Single CPU is surely false. Choosing 'ACPI PC' could lead to a
>single-core setup, but I am not sure about. It's also possible that
>choosing Multi makes troubles, or that 'ACPI PC' and 'Multi ACPI' set
>XP up the same, at the end.
>
>I guess Single is for Single, Multi is explicitely Multi and 'ACPI PC'
>looks self what is really installed. IMO the best choice!!!
>Hyperthreading?? and so on... who knows? Former Dual CPU's are not the
>same as today dual- and dual core -CPU's.
>
>Service Pack 2... etc...

Thanks for that bit of tip to confirm whether the uniprocessor was
chosen or multiprocessor was and looking in my System properties, the
multiprocessor does show up.