XPS 420 Zapped by a Power Surge/Malfunctioning HDD Dock

Monica

During a short 3-4 second power outage, my desktop computer booted up with
the blue screen that read,
unmountable boot disk, Stop 0X000000ED
I tried all the suggestions I could find on the web. Reset the Bios to
factory defaults, checked that all the cables were seated, smelled for a
burning odor in case something got fried, checked to see if the hdd was even
spinning (it was). Tried booting from the XP cd but it wouldn't/couldn't
read from the cd. Tried a couple other things but none worked. Bought a
Rosewill Hard Drive Docking thingy, put my C drive in it and plugged it into
the laptop with hopes of backing up some data. It's a simple usb plug n
play device but when I plugged it into the laptop, I got the following
message,
"usb device malfunctioned. Windows doesn't recognize it". Tried rebooting
3 times. Checked Device Manager. Unknown device.
Checked for updated drivers...most recent is already installed. Does this
sound like a defective device or something else?
Thanks,
Monica

Monica

btw, I tried the hdd dock in three different usb ports on the same laptop.

"Monica" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:MYKzp.2741$(E-Mail Removed)...
> During a short 3-4 second power outage, my desktop computer booted up with
> the blue screen that read,
> unmountable boot disk, Stop 0X000000ED
> I tried all the suggestions I could find on the web. Reset the Bios to
> factory defaults, checked that all the cables were seated, smelled for a
> burning odor in case something got fried, checked to see if the hdd was
> even spinning (it was). Tried booting from the XP cd but it
> wouldn't/couldn't read from the cd. Tried a couple other things but none
> worked. Bought a Rosewill Hard Drive Docking thingy, put my C drive in it
> and plugged it into the laptop with hopes of backing up some data. It's a
> simple usb plug n play device but when I plugged it into the laptop, I got
> the following message,
> "usb device malfunctioned. Windows doesn't recognize it". Tried
> rebooting 3 times. Checked Device Manager. Unknown device.
> Checked for updated drivers...most recent is already installed. Does this
> sound like a defective device or something else?
> Thanks,
> Monica

Bob Villa

On May 15, 3:08*am, "Monica" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> btw, I tried the hdd dock in three different usb ports on the same laptop..
>
> > Thanks,
> > Monica

Can you go into the BIOS and turn-off "Fast Boot"? Maybe that will
give you a cue.
Also, the factory default on booting may not be CD 1st, check that.
Are you using a USB keyboard and mouse? (Asking because maybe some
things work on that bus)

Christopher Muto

On 5/15/2011 3:07 AM, Monica wrote:
> During a short 3-4 second power outage, my desktop computer booted up
> with the blue screen that read,
> unmountable boot disk, Stop 0X000000ED
> I tried all the suggestions I could find on the web. Reset the Bios to
> factory defaults, checked that all the cables were seated, smelled for a
> burning odor in case something got fried, checked to see if the hdd was
> even spinning (it was). Tried booting from the XP cd but it
> wouldn't/couldn't read from the cd. Tried a couple other things but none
> worked. Bought a Rosewill Hard Drive Docking thingy, put my C drive in
> it and plugged it into the laptop with hopes of backing up some data.
> It's a simple usb plug n play device but when I plugged it into the
> laptop, I got the following message,
> "usb device malfunctioned. Windows doesn't recognize it". Tried
> rebooting 3 times. Checked Device Manager. Unknown device.
> Checked for updated drivers...most recent is already installed. Does
> this sound like a defective device or something else?
> Thanks,
> Monica

since you were unable to boot the xps 420 desktop from the cd drive i
think you should ignoring your usb drive enclosure and drive issue for
the moment because if you can't boot the system with a cd then it
suggests that the system has problems beyond a possible disk problem
(optical or hard).
so, lets look at why it isn't booting from the cd. after resetting the
system bios i suggest that you confirm that the hard disk drive and
optical drive appear in the list under 'boot sequence' menu and that the
all sata drives are all set to "on" in the bios. then, with the xp cd
in the optical drive, turn on the computer and when "f2=setup, f12=boot
menu" press f12. next you will see a list of potentially bootable
devices where you should select the optical (cd) drive. and then you
will see a confirmation messages that says "press any key to boot from
cd"... does it start from the xp cd or not? if not, and you don't even
hear an attempt of it booting from the optical drive (drive doesn't even
spin up) then i would think the problem is more fundamental than the
optical drive or hard drive.
as for the usb enclosure not working, what model is the enclosure and
what model is the laptop?

Christopher Muto

On 5/15/2011 3:56 PM, Christopher Muto wrote:
> On 5/15/2011 3:07 AM, Monica wrote:
>> During a short 3-4 second power outage, my desktop computer booted up
>> with the blue screen that read,
>> unmountable boot disk, Stop 0X000000ED
>> I tried all the suggestions I could find on the web. Reset the Bios to
>> factory defaults, checked that all the cables were seated, smelled for a
>> burning odor in case something got fried, checked to see if the hdd was
>> even spinning (it was). Tried booting from the XP cd but it
>> wouldn't/couldn't read from the cd. Tried a couple other things but none
>> worked. Bought a Rosewill Hard Drive Docking thingy, put my C drive in
>> it and plugged it into the laptop with hopes of backing up some data.
>> It's a simple usb plug n play device but when I plugged it into the
>> laptop, I got the following message,
>> "usb device malfunctioned. Windows doesn't recognize it". Tried
>> rebooting 3 times. Checked Device Manager. Unknown device.
>> Checked for updated drivers...most recent is already installed. Does
>> this sound like a defective device or something else?
>> Thanks,
>> Monica

> since you were unable to boot the xps 420 desktop from the cd drive i
> think you should ignoring your usb drive enclosure and drive issue for
> the moment because if you can't boot the system with a cd then it
> suggests that the system has problems beyond a possible disk problem
> (optical or hard).
> so, lets look at why it isn't booting from the cd. after resetting the
> system bios i suggest that you confirm that the hard disk drive and
> optical drive appear in the list under 'boot sequence' menu and that the
> all sata drives are all set to "on" in the bios. then, with the xp cd in
> the optical drive, turn on the computer and when "f2=setup, f12=boot
> menu" press f12. next you will see a list of potentially bootable
> devices where you should select the optical (cd) drive. and then you
> will see a confirmation messages that says "press any key to boot from
> cd"... does it start from the xp cd or not? if not, and you don't even
> hear an attempt of it booting from the optical drive (drive doesn't even
> spin up) then i would think the problem is more fundamental than the
> optical drive or hard drive.
> as for the usb enclosure not working, what model is the enclosure and
> what model is the laptop?

and what model is the 3.5" desktop hard disk that you are trying to use
in the usb enclosure?

Monica

I a bit confused Bob. The compromised computer is a desktop (XPS 420). I
don't recall if saw a "fast boot" tried to turn it off or not.
What will it give me a clue to?
Yes, the bootable drive is my CD drive (on the desk top). I've never looked
at the bios of the laptop.
I use a usb keyboard and mouse on the desktop and a usb mouse on the
laptop...it works in all of the three ports.
Also, I get the same error message whether I plug in the dock with or
without the hdd in it. I put a new (unformatted)
hdd in it and got NO error message BUT the laptop didn't detect that I'd
even plugged anything in it. No message of any kind
and no device listed in DM or in Devices and Printers.

"Bob Villa" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On May 15, 3:08 am, "Monica" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> btw, I tried the hdd dock in three different usb ports on the same
>> laptop.
>>
>> > Thanks,
>> > Monica

> Can you go into the BIOS and turn-off "Fast Boot"? Maybe that will
> give you a cue.
> Also, the factory default on booting may not be CD 1st, check that.
> Are you using a USB keyboard and mouse? (Asking because maybe some
> things work on that bus)

Monica

In the BIOS under Drives, all four SATA drives are listed as "on". SATA 0
and 1 are the two hard drives.
In Boot Sequence,
1 is CD ROM
2 is Onbaord SATA hdd
3 is floppy drive
4 is USB Device

In the F12 menu, I see the list of bootable devices but when I hit Enter on
the highlighted "Onboard or USB CD-ROM Drive"
I get the following message:
Alert! Failed to detect one or more drives during POST. Strike the F1 key
to continue, F2 to run the setup utility,
Press F5 to run onboard diagnostics.

Choosing F1 (yes the drive is spinning) goes to Windows Setup. It loads
files and then goes to a screen that says, "a problem has been detected and
windows has been shut down to prevent damage.
Technical info:
Stop: 0x0000007E (0x0000005, 0xF748E0BF, 0xF78DA208, 0xF78D9F08)
pci.sys- Address F748E0BF base at F7487000, datestamp 3b7d855c

Trying F5 starts a test but soon sounds an alarm and gives me this message:
Error Code 0146
Msg: Error Code 2000-0146
HDD 1- self test log contains previous errors.

Hdd dock is a Rosewill RX=DU101
Laptop (the working computer) is a Dell Inspiron N5010

> since you were unable to boot the xps 420 desktop from the cd drive i
> think you should ignoring your usb drive enclosure and drive issue for the
> moment because if you can't boot the system with a cd then it suggests
> that the system has problems beyond a possible disk problem (optical or
> hard).
> so, lets look at why it isn't booting from the cd. after resetting the
> system bios i suggest that you confirm that the hard disk drive and
> optical drive appear in the list under 'boot sequence' menu and that the
> all sata drives are all set to "on" in the bios. then, with the xp cd in
> the optical drive, turn on the computer and when "f2=setup, f12=boot menu"
> press f12. next you will see a list of potentially bootable devices where
> you should select the optical (cd) drive. and then you will see a
> confirmation messages that says "press any key to boot from cd"... does
> it start from the xp cd or not? if not, and you don't even hear an
> attempt of it booting from the optical drive (drive doesn't even spin up)
> then i would think the problem is more fundamental than the optical drive
> or hard drive.
> as for the usb enclosure not working, what model is the enclosure and what
> model is the laptop?

Monica

WD Caviar 3200

> and what model is the 3.5" desktop hard disk that you are trying to use
> in the usb enclosure?

Christopher Muto

On 5/15/2011 7:18 PM, Monica wrote:
> In the BIOS under Drives, all four SATA drives are listed as "on". SATA
> 0 and 1 are the two hard drives.
> In Boot Sequence,
> 1 is CD ROM
> 2 is Onbaord SATA hdd
> 3 is floppy drive
> 4 is USB Device
>
> In the F12 menu, I see the list of bootable devices but when I hit Enter
> on the highlighted "Onboard or USB CD-ROM Drive"
> I get the following message:
> Alert! Failed to detect one or more drives during POST. Strike the F1
> key to continue, F2 to run the setup utility,
> Press F5 to run onboard diagnostics.
>
> Choosing F1 (yes the drive is spinning) goes to Windows Setup. It loads
> files and then goes to a screen that says, "a problem has been detected
> and windows has been shut down to prevent damage.
> Technical info:
> Stop: 0x0000007E (0x0000005, 0xF748E0BF, 0xF78DA208, 0xF78D9F08)
> pci.sys- Address F748E0BF base at F7487000, datestamp 3b7d855c
>
> Trying F5 starts a test but soon sounds an alarm and gives me this message:
> Error Code 0146
> Msg: Error Code 2000-0146
> HDD 1- self test log contains previous errors.
>
> Hdd dock is a Rosewill RX=DU101
> Laptop (the working computer) is a Dell Inspiron N5010
>

>> since you were unable to boot the xps 420 desktop from the cd drive i
>> think you should ignoring your usb drive enclosure and drive issue for
>> the moment because if you can't boot the system with a cd then it
>> suggests that the system has problems beyond a possible disk problem
>> (optical or hard).
>> so, lets look at why it isn't booting from the cd. after resetting the
>> system bios i suggest that you confirm that the hard disk drive and
>> optical drive appear in the list under 'boot sequence' menu and that
>> the all sata drives are all set to "on" in the bios. then, with the xp
>> cd in the optical drive, turn on the computer and when "f2=setup,
>> f12=boot menu" press f12. next you will see a list of potentially
>> bootable devices where you should select the optical (cd) drive. and
>> then you will see a confirmation messages that says "press any key to
>> boot from cd"... does it start from the xp cd or not? if not, and you
>> don't even hear an attempt of it booting from the optical drive (drive
>> doesn't even spin up) then i would think the problem is more
>> fundamental than the optical drive or hard drive.
>> as for the usb enclosure not working, what model is the enclosure and
>> what model is the laptop?

what you are describing sounds like the machine is indeed able to boot
from the cd but is choking on the hard disk when it is inspected. and
that is consistant with the problems you expressed with using the
external usb enclosure with the hard disk from the desktop. why not buy
a new hard drive and put it in place of the old and then try to boot
from the xp cd and install it on the new drive?

Monica

I can try that. I have two new 1TB hdds. Just to make sure you
understood...I get the error message with the external enclosure whether the
hdd from my desktop is in it or it's got NO hdd in it. Does this make a
difference in your reply?
Are you thinking the hdd is toast? As in I'll never be able to recover
any of the data off of it?
If it is and I have to reinstall an OS, I'll buy a copy of Win 7. This was
a Vista machine when I got it.
I removed Vista to reinstall XP. It was a week of finding and installing
"XP drivers for Vista" I should still
have all those drivers backed up but if I have to start over, I think I
should start over with Win 7.
Monica

news:(E-Mail Removed)...