XPS 435T/9000 Installing second hard drive

Ron

I'd rather not open the computer more than once, and I haven't found
confirmation of this in my online account specs, so I thought I'd ask. When
I go to install a second internal (3.5") SATA drive, do I understand
correctly that the power cable will be in there loose, but that I need to
supply my own data cable? And that the drive bay will have the appropriate
bracket with mounting screws? (The online manual describes replacing a
drive but not adding an additional one to an empty bay.)

Anyone have an issue adding a Seagate Barracuda, 1TB?

Thanks, -Ron

Daddy

Ron wrote:
> I'd rather not open the computer more than once, and I haven't found
> confirmation of this in my online account specs, so I thought I'd ask.
> When I go to install a second internal (3.5") SATA drive, do I
> understand correctly that the power cable will be in there loose, but
> that I need to supply my own data cable? And that the drive bay will
> have the appropriate bracket with mounting screws? (The online manual
> describes replacing a drive but not adding an additional one to an empty
> bay.)
>
> Anyone have an issue adding a Seagate Barracuda, 1TB?
>
> Thanks, -Ron

You won't know for sure without opening the computer, however, Dell's
consumer power supplies typically have an extra, unused power connector
for your (unidentified) hard disk; and the drive bay will be the right
size for any consumer 3.5-inch hard disk. You will likely need to supply
your own screws, but they will be packed with the new disk. You will
need to supply your own data cable, which will cost you a few bucks at
your nearest computer store.

The power and data cables are designed to only plug into their
connectors the right way, so if they don't fit at first, don't force
them. In general, don't use brute force to jam things into place and do
not tighten the screws until your fingers turn white to make sure they
don't fall out. Don't ask me how I know these things. I just...know.

Daddy

Christopher Muto

On 3/17/2011 1:52 PM, Ron wrote:
> I'd rather not open the computer more than once, and I haven't found
> confirmation of this in my online account specs, so I thought I'd ask.
> When I go to install a second internal (3.5") SATA drive, do I
> understand correctly that the power cable will be in there loose, but
> that I need to supply my own data cable? And that the drive bay will
> have the appropriate bracket with mounting screws? (The online manual
> describes replacing a drive but not adding an additional one to an empty
> bay.)
>
> Anyone have an issue adding a Seagate Barracuda, 1TB?
>
> Thanks, -Ron

that is correct. and if you purchase a 'retail' edition of a hard disk
(packaged in a pretty box) it will come with a data cable however it may
be a bit short for the large xps case. and ideally you want a data
cable that has a right angle connector on the hard disk end.

Brian K

"Christopher Muto" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) t...
> On 3/17/2011 1:52 PM, Ron wrote:

.. and ideally you want a data
> cable that has a right angle connector on the hard disk end.

I helped a mate install a second HD to a 9000. From memory you can't close
the case unless you use a right angle connector.

Ron, make sure you then turn that SATA port ON in the BIOS.

Timothy Daniels

"Daddy" wrote:
> [.......]
> .... You will need to supply your own data cable, which
> will cost you a few bucks at your nearest computer store.

Or try Silicon Valley Compucycle (www.SVC.com)
for a good selection of cables at low prices. They offer
SATA cables with one or two right-angle connectors.
http://www.svc.com/sata-cable.html

*TimDaniels*

RnR

On Fri, 18 Mar 2011 09:57:11 +1100, "Brian K"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"Christopher Muto" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed) et...
>> On 3/17/2011 1:52 PM, Ron wrote:

>. and ideally you want a data
>> cable that has a right angle connector on the hard disk end.

>I helped a mate install a second HD to a 9000. From memory you can't close
>the case unless you use a right angle connector.
>
>Ron, make sure you then turn that SATA port ON in the BIOS.

Ron, the 410 has to have a right angle connector. I think Tom Scales
told me when I got mine and he was right. Worked like a charm.

Christopher Muto

On 3/17/2011 5:07 PM, Christopher Muto wrote:
> On 3/17/2011 1:52 PM, Ron wrote:
>> I'd rather not open the computer more than once, and I haven't found
>> confirmation of this in my online account specs, so I thought I'd ask.
>> When I go to install a second internal (3.5") SATA drive, do I
>> understand correctly that the power cable will be in there loose, but
>> that I need to supply my own data cable? And that the drive bay will
>> have the appropriate bracket with mounting screws? (The online manual
>> describes replacing a drive but not adding an additional one to an empty
>> bay.)
>>
>> Anyone have an issue adding a Seagate Barracuda, 1TB?
>>
>> Thanks, -Ron

> that is correct. and if you purchase a 'retail' edition of a hard disk
> (packaged in a pretty box) it will come with a data cable however it may
> be a bit short for the large xps case. and ideally you want a data cable
> that has a right angle connector on the hard disk end.

correction: you do not need a right angle sata cable for the
xps435t/9000. the 'business end' of the drives when mounted in this
system face internally and so either a right angle or sraight sata cable
will be fine. also, this system does not have drive cages but rather
simple drive bays. you secure the drive to the bay with two standard
drive screws that should come with any drive. if you don't have the
screws then simply barrow one from the primary drive leaving one behind
in the primary drive and giving you one to secure the secondary drive
(though two would be better, you only really need one screw in each
drive).
http://support.dell.com/support/edoc....htm#wp1188656

Ron

> correction: you do not need a right angle sata cable for the xps435t/9000.
> the 'business end' of the drives when mounted in this system face
> internally and so either a right angle or sraight sata cable will be fine.
> also, this system does not have drive cages but rather simple drive bays.
> you secure the drive to the bay with two standard drive screws that should
> come with any drive. if you don't have the screws then simply barrow one
> from the primary drive leaving one behind in the primary drive and giving
> you one to secure the secondary drive (though two would be better, you
> only really need one screw in each drive).
> http://support.dell.com/support/edoc....htm#wp1188656

Yes, that link is one reason I posted - it assumes you're replacing a drive
not adding one, so is unclear about whether the empty bay has dummy screws
attached. Great suggestion about borrowing from the primary, thanks.

The drive I had my eye on on Amazon is listed as "bare." Reading more, I
see others call them "oem" drives. Apparently, that means they'll not come
with cable or screws. In fact, I'm not totally sure it's encased - the pic
seems to show the mechanism exposed. Maybe they're made now with
transparency on one side of the case, but I think I'll get clarification at
the nearby MicroCenter before a final decision on model.

This video on installing a second drive in a "Dimension" (not the 9000):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVaBB8X6KhQ gives the impression there's a
bracket in the bay, so I'm glad to get better info here.

Some great comments on what I was afraid might be too trivial a question.
Thanks to everyone! -Ron

Steve W.

Ron wrote:
> Yes, that link is one reason I posted - it assumes you're replacing a
> drive not adding one, so is unclear about whether the empty bay has
> dummy screws attached. Great suggestion about borrowing from the
> primary, thanks.

Adding a drive is just like R&Ring one. You just skip the first R.

> The drive I had my eye on on Amazon is listed as "bare." Reading
> more, I see others call them "oem" drives. Apparently, that means
> they'll not come with cable or screws.

Bare/OEM drives are JUST the drive, usually in a anti-static bag and a
generic box.
No drive copy software no fancy box or cables or screws like comes with
retail
drives. BUT if you're adding it as a second drive you will be fine.
Just buy a cable and borrow a screw (or just buy a small pack when you
buy the cable many of the places that sell computer components will have
them.

> In fact, I'm not totally sure it's encased - the pic seems to show
> the mechanism exposed. Maybe they're made now with transparency on
> one side of the case, but I think I'll get clarification at the
> nearby MicroCenter before a final decision on model.

That picture is just to show you the guts. NO hard drives come open or
with clear panels. They are all assembled in a clean room and even the
tiny air vent on them has a high efficiency filter on the interior.

> This video on installing a second drive in a "Dimension" (not the
> 9000): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVaBB8X6KhQ gives the
> impression there's a bracket in the bay, so I'm glad to get better
> info here.

The bay in that machine is a small box that has tabs sticking out
inside. The drives slide in between the tabs (sort of like a shelf in a
cabinet sets on the pins on the sides) then you secure it in place with
a screw. The only real thing the screws do is keep the drives from
sliding/falling out if you transport the machine. If you don't plan on
skydiving with it you really don't need more than one screw.

--
Steve W.

Christopher Muto

On 3/17/2011 10:52 PM, Ron wrote:

>> correction: you do not need a right angle sata cable for the
>> xps435t/9000. the 'business end' of the drives when mounted in this
>> system face internally and so either a right angle or sraight sata
>> cable will be fine. also, this system does not have drive cages but
>> rather simple drive bays. you secure the drive to the bay with two
>> standard drive screws that should come with any drive. if you don't
>> have the screws then simply barrow one from the primary drive leaving
>> one behind in the primary drive and giving you one to secure the
>> secondary drive (though two would be better, you only really need one
>> screw in each drive).
>> http://support.dell.com/support/edoc....htm#wp1188656
>>

> Yes, that link is one reason I posted - it assumes you're replacing a
> drive not adding one, so is unclear about whether the empty bay has
> dummy screws attached. Great suggestion about borrowing from the
> primary, thanks.
>
> The drive I had my eye on on Amazon is listed as "bare." Reading more, I
> see others call them "oem" drives. Apparently, that means they'll not
> come with cable or screws. In fact, I'm not totally sure it's encased -
> the pic seems to show the mechanism exposed. Maybe they're made now with
> transparency on one side of the case, but I think I'll get clarification
> at the nearby MicroCenter before a final decision on model.
>
> This video on installing a second drive in a "Dimension" (not the 9000):
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVaBB8X6KhQ gives the impression there's
> a bracket in the bay, so I'm glad to get better info here.
>
> Some great comments on what I was afraid might be too trivial a
> question. Thanks to everyone! -Ron

you are right about an oem version of a drive being a bare drive without
a cable, screws, or installation cd (used for cloning among other
things). it comes in a anti-static bag and no retail box. sometimes
the warranty is also different than that of the retail version. i
suggest you look at purchasing from newegg.com as they usually have the
best pricing. newegg.com also has inexpensive sata cables for sale.
but then again bestbuy and staples occasionally have sales on the retail
version of drives that include the cable (but these are usually the
older/smaller capacity drives that go on sale).

the second drive installs in your system directly below the primary
drive. there is a bay for each so no worries there.

your case design is no like the 'btx' style in that video. your case
does not open like that one does and your drives are not installed in a
drive sled or caddy nor do they use drive rails to install. they simply
slip into a drive bay and then are secured in place with a screw on the
side. it will be obvious once you open the case and see how the other
one is installed.

about half way through this video of an xps 9000 unboxing the person
opens the case and looks around inside. you can see the primary drive
in the bay and the available drive bays underneath it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlaUx91HS58