XPS 811 on board lan problem

john

Since Friday morning I have not been able to get online through the
onboard lan, it is missing from the device manager, however the WLAN
card is working ok.

I have installed the latest driver from Dell and the latest chipset
driver from Dell. No help with either.

This may be related: Since the same time when I shut down from the
Windows Start Button the box immediately reboots. I can only power off
by holding down the power button.

I've googled a bit but haven't found a solution, might the motherboard
be on the way out?

I am up to date on MS and have scanned for malware with no results.

Any suggestions, please

john

Christopher Muto

On 6/19/2011 5:07 PM, john wrote:
> Since Friday morning I have not been able to get online through the
> onboard lan, it is missing from the device manager, however the WLAN
> card is working ok.
>
> I have installed the latest driver from Dell and the latest chipset
> driver from Dell. No help with either.
>
> This may be related: Since the same time when I shut down from the
> Windows Start Button the box immediately reboots. I can only power off
> by holding down the power button.
>
> I've googled a bit but haven't found a solution, might the motherboard
> be on the way out?
>
> I am up to date on MS and have scanned for malware with no results.
>
> Any suggestions, please
>
> john

assuming you are running some version of windows... use windows system
restore to restore the system to a data prior to when the problem began.
sounds like windows has either become corrupted or your installed
something (hardware or software) that is in conflict with the integrated
wired network adapter.

john

On 6/19/2011 5:30 PM, Christopher Muto wrote:
> On 6/19/2011 5:07 PM, john wrote:
>> Since Friday morning I have not been able to get online through the
>> onboard lan, it is missing from the device manager, however the WLAN
>> card is working ok.
>>
>> I have installed the latest driver from Dell and the latest chipset
>> driver from Dell. No help with either.
>>
>> This may be related: Since the same time when I shut down from the
>> Windows Start Button the box immediately reboots. I can only power off
>> by holding down the power button.
>>
>> I've googled a bit but haven't found a solution, might the motherboard
>> be on the way out?
>>
>> I am up to date on MS and have scanned for malware with no results.
>>
>> Any suggestions, please
>>
>> john
>>

> assuming you are running some version of windows... use windows system
> restore to restore the system to a data prior to when the problem began.
> sounds like windows has either become corrupted or your installed
> something (hardware or software) that is in conflict with the integrated
> wired network adapter.

I stepped backwards through the available Restore Points until I reached
this error "The file or directory is corrupted and unavailable".

I's still looking for some options.

Thnaks

john

Christopher Muto

On 6/19/2011 8:46 PM, john wrote:
> On 6/19/2011 5:30 PM, Christopher Muto wrote:
>> On 6/19/2011 5:07 PM, john wrote:
>>> Since Friday morning I have not been able to get online through the
>>> onboard lan, it is missing from the device manager, however the WLAN
>>> card is working ok.
>>>
>>> I have installed the latest driver from Dell and the latest chipset
>>> driver from Dell. No help with either.
>>>
>>> This may be related: Since the same time when I shut down from the
>>> Windows Start Button the box immediately reboots. I can only power off
>>> by holding down the power button.
>>>
>>> I've googled a bit but haven't found a solution, might the motherboard
>>> be on the way out?
>>>
>>> I am up to date on MS and have scanned for malware with no results.
>>>
>>> Any suggestions, please
>>>
>>> john
>>>

>> assuming you are running some version of windows... use windows system
>> restore to restore the system to a data prior to when the problem began.
>> sounds like windows has either become corrupted or your installed
>> something (hardware or software) that is in conflict with the integrated
>> wired network adapter.

> I stepped backwards through the available Restore Points until I reached
> this error "The file or directory is corrupted and unavailable".
>
> I's still looking for some options.
>
> Thnaks
>
> john

that seems to confirm that your installation of windows is corrupt. i
suggest that you back-up all of your data and then run disk diagnostics
to make sure your drive is ok before doing any further troubleshooting.

john

On 6/20/2011 1:48 PM, Christopher Muto wrote:

> that seems to confirm that your installation of windows is corrupt. i
> suggest that you back-up all of your data and then run disk diagnostics
> to make sure your drive is ok before doing any further troubleshooting.

I'm all backed up. I think I'm on the road to some hardware failure,
today I found the box with no display and 6 beeps. This seems to be a
video card problem I going to reseat the video card and the memory. I'll
report back after I've done that - it may be a day or two.

Thanks for the suggestions.