jc

I have a Dell XPS P4, 3.2 Ghz machine that I've recently re-installed the OS
from the disks Dell gave me when I bought it in 2005. I put in all the resource
disks that Dell gave me, including the Sound Blaster disk, but I've run into
problems with the video controller.

Originally, when I went to the Device Manager, I saw that my Video Controller
and Ethernet Controller were in "Other Devices" with a yellow question mark. My
DSL was not working, and I assumed that was the problem. I followed Dells (very
specific) directions to the letter but there was no folder on the disk with the
name they mentioned. They also did not specify the name of the driver file.

After going around and around with Dell over the phone, and refusing to pay $125
for them to fix it, I found (purely by accident) the setup files for the
ethernet card on the resource disk, installed it and now have internet again.

I have a 256mb Nvidia GeForce 6800 Graphics Card installed and Sound Blaster
Audigy THX sound card. As an aside, the sound was giving me trouble as well but
I kicked the stupid thing and it started working, so clearly there was/is
something not quite right with the connections or card itself (ok, it wasn't a
"I'm going to destroy you" kick, it more like a shove to get the box back in the
corner where it lives... although I have seriously considered kicking the crap
out of this thing, more than one. I also have a Colt .45 ACP sitting on top of
the box and have threatened, on more than one occasion, to shoot holes in it!
It would be loud and expensive, but oh, so satisfying!).

The video controller still has the yellow question mark in Device Manager. Can
anyone tell me what folder, on the resource disk, contains the drivers? Or,
even the specific name of the drivers. I have everything backed up on an
external HD, so I have the driver file, I just don't know the name or location.
I've gone over the resource disk several times, have clicked on every 'setup'
file in it I can find, but it always says that that specific driver is already
installed.
TIA,
jc

Christopher Muto

On 3/8/2011 12:40 AM, jc wrote:
> ill has the yellow question mark in Device Manager. Can
> anyone tell me what folder, on the resource disk, contains the drivers? Or,
> even the specific name of the drivers. I have everything backed up on an
> external HD, so I have the dr

after installing windows you should first install something called the
'chipset' driver. once the chipset driver is installed then install the
other drivers in whatever order you wish. you may find newer drivers
than what came on the cd included with your computer on support.dell.com
and then click on 'drivers and downloads'.

Daddy

Christopher Muto wrote:
> On 3/8/2011 12:40 AM, jc wrote:
>> ill has the yellow question mark in Device Manager. Can
>> anyone tell me what folder, on the resource disk, contains the
>> drivers? Or,
>> even the specific name of the drivers. I have everything backed up on an
>> external HD, so I have the dr

> after installing windows you should first install something called the
> 'chipset' driver. once the chipset driver is installed then install the
> other drivers in whatever order you wish. you may find newer drivers
> than what came on the cd included with your computer on support.dell.com
> and then click on 'drivers and downloads'.

Agree with Christopher 100%. Hitting your PC accomplishes nothing
(except possibly damage.)

Re-installing and clean installing require considerable preparation.
Plenty of help on the web. In your particular case, installing updated
drivers was needed. To obtain the latest drivers you can either go to
Dell's website or to the hardware manufacturer's website. If unsure, go
with Dell. Sometimes the manufacturer's website doesn't have optimal
drivers for OEM hardware.

Daddy

Steve W.

jc wrote:
> I have a Dell XPS P4, 3.2 Ghz machine that I've recently re-installed the OS
> from the disks Dell gave me when I bought it in 2005. I put in all the resource
> disks that Dell gave me, including the Sound Blaster disk, but I've run into
> problems with the video controller.
>
> Originally, when I went to the Device Manager, I saw that my Video Controller
> and Ethernet Controller were in "Other Devices" with a yellow question mark. My
> DSL was not working, and I assumed that was the problem. I followed Dells (very
> specific) directions to the letter but there was no folder on the disk with the
> name they mentioned. They also did not specify the name of the driver file.
>
> After going around and around with Dell over the phone, and refusing to pay $125
> for them to fix it, I found (purely by accident) the setup files for the
> ethernet card on the resource disk, installed it and now have internet again.
>
> I have a 256mb Nvidia GeForce 6800 Graphics Card installed and Sound Blaster
> Audigy THX sound card. As an aside, the sound was giving me trouble as well but
> I kicked the stupid thing and it started working, so clearly there was/is
> something not quite right with the connections or card itself (ok, it wasn't a
> "I'm going to destroy you" kick, it more like a shove to get the box back in the
> corner where it lives... although I have seriously considered kicking the crap
> out of this thing, more than one. I also have a Colt .45 ACP sitting on top of
> the box and have threatened, on more than one occasion, to shoot holes in it!
> It would be loud and expensive, but oh, so satisfying!).
>
> The video controller still has the yellow question mark in Device Manager. Can
> anyone tell me what folder, on the resource disk, contains the drivers? Or,
> even the specific name of the drivers. I have everything backed up on an
> external HD, so I have the driver file, I just don't know the name or location.
> I've gone over the resource disk several times, have clicked on every 'setup'
> file in it I can find, but it always says that that specific driver is already
> installed.
> TIA,
> jc

Sounds like you didn't follow the proper order when you installed the
drivers.

First I would power it down, open the case and re-seat all the cards and
memory. If just moving the machine caused a change there is something
loose in the box.

NOW install the chipset drivers.

instead of using the discs I would hit Dells site and get the latest
updated files for that machine. Just download them to another machine
and transfer them over. Do this BEFORE you try to update the OS.
Now install all the other drivers. Then as you get each one working
create a restore point. Then install an AV program and do updates as
needed. Don't install any other apps until you get the OS settled in
with all the items working. Once you are sure it's OK then run a defrag,
then go in and shut off system restore and shut down. Restart and turn
system restore back on. Now create a system back-up disk. Once you have
that done create a restore point and start installing your other apps.
Once they are all in I like to create a second back-up disk. This way
you have an OS base and one with all your items.

--
Steve W.

Michael Arm

On 7 Mar 2011 23:40:07 -0600, jc <crkspamsucksckr@yahoo_nospam_.com>
wrote:

>I have a Dell XPS P4, 3.2 Ghz machine that I've recently re-installed the OS
>from the disks Dell gave me when I bought it in 2005. I put in all the resource
>disks that Dell gave me, including the Sound Blaster disk, but I've run into
>problems with the video controller.
>
>Originally, when I went to the Device Manager, I saw that my Video Controller
>and Ethernet Controller were in "Other Devices" with a yellow question mark. My
>DSL was not working, and I assumed that was the problem. I followed Dells (very
>specific) directions to the letter but there was no folder on the disk with the
>name they mentioned. They also did not specify the name of the driver file.
>
>After going around and around with Dell over the phone, and refusing to pay $125
>for them to fix it, I found (purely by accident) the setup files for the
>ethernet card on the resource disk, installed it and now have internet again.
>
>I have a 256mb Nvidia GeForce 6800 Graphics Card installed and Sound Blaster
>Audigy THX sound card. As an aside, the sound was giving me trouble as well but
>I kicked the stupid thing and it started working, so clearly there was/is
>something not quite right with the connections or card itself (ok, it wasn't a
>"I'm going to destroy you" kick, it more like a shove to get the box back in the
>corner where it lives... although I have seriously considered kicking the crap
>out of this thing, more than one. I also have a Colt .45 ACP sitting on top of
>the box and have threatened, on more than one occasion, to shoot holes in it!
>It would be loud and expensive, but oh, so satisfying!).
>
>The video controller still has the yellow question mark in Device Manager. Can
>anyone tell me what folder, on the resource disk, contains the drivers? Or,
>even the specific name of the drivers. I have everything backed up on an
>external HD, so I have the driver file, I just don't know the name or location.
>I've gone over the resource disk several times, have clicked on every 'setup'
>file in it I can find, but it always says that that specific driver is already
>installed.
>TIA,
>jc

Go to the nvidia website, locate the card drivers, download and
install. Simple! Especially since you have the ethernet card working.
Mike

jc

On Tue, 08 Mar 2011 09:34:34 -0500, Christopher Muto <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>after installing windows you should first install something called the
>'chipset' driver. once the chipset driver is installed then install the
>other drivers in whatever order you wish. you may find newer drivers
>than what came on the cd included with your computer on support.dell.com
>and then click on 'drivers and downloads'.

Thanks, Chris, but I did that, exactly per Dells instructions. The Dell
resource disks are the source of that chipset. All of the drivers (according to
Dell) were supposed to install automatically, via the MS Installation Wizard,
however, it clearly missed a couple, namely the ethernet and video drivers.
Until I accidently found the ethernet driver, I had no way to access the
internet, thus no way to find out what drivers are even necessary, much less
upgrade/update anything.

I'm sure there are newer drivers, especially since I've installed SP3.
Cheers,
jc

jc

On Tue, 08 Mar 2011 12:56:44 -0500, Daddy <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Agree with Christopher 100%. Hitting your PC accomplishes nothing
>(except possibly damage.)

I dunno about that, it got my sound working! And it does feel really good at
times. Clearly, there's something loose either on the card itself or with one
of the connectors (I suspect the plug connectors).

>Re-installing and clean installing require considerable preparation.
>Plenty of help on the web. In your particular case, installing updated
>drivers was needed. To obtain the latest drivers you can either go to
>Dell's website or to the hardware manufacturer's website. If unsure, go
>with Dell. Sometimes the manufacturer's website doesn't have optimal
>drivers for OEM hardware.
>
>Daddy

Actually, Dell has very specific instructions on their (quagmire of a) website,
which I printed out and followed to the letter. It's just that what they said
to do wasn't possible, due to the fact that folders they said to go to simply
didn't exist. It's probably just me but I find Dells website to be extremely
haphazard and it seems to take me a long time to find exactly what I'm looking
for. I know they try to take everyone's different system into account but I
find it to be as frustrating as the Microsoft website. Then again, nearly
everything having to do with computers frustrates me at some point.
Cheers,
jc

jc

On Tue, 08 Mar 2011 12:57:10 -0500, "Steve W." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Sounds like you didn't follow the proper order when you installed the
>drivers.

Thanks, Steve, but I printed out and faithfully followed Dell's very specific
directions to the letter. At least, as far as I could, since they were
directing me to folders/files that simply do not exist. I suspect that Dell has
upgraded their updates, but didn't take into account that people might actually
use one of their products for more than a year or so.

>First I would power it down, open the case and re-seat all the cards and
>memory. If just moving the machine caused a change there is something
>loose in the box.

Done that, which is why I was pushing the box back into the corner where it
lives, when the sound started working again. And I really didn't hit it, I just
pushed it back into it's corner with my toe and it just happened to start
working. I suspect it's something to do with with the plugs that go into the
card, as they are the only thing that could possibly move when the box is moved.
It was not jarred in any way, just pushed back. I really did want to give it a
good whack, but even a Neaderthal like me knows that doesn't actually work, it
just makes you feel better. Temporarily, of course, but in the heat of the
moment...

>NOW install the chipset drivers.

Yep, done that.

>instead of using the discs I would hit Dells site and get the latest
>updated files for that machine. Just download them to another machine
>and transfer them over. Do this BEFORE you try to update the OS.
>Now install all the other drivers. Then as you get each one working
>create a restore point. Then install an AV program and do updates as
>needed. Don't install any other apps until you get the OS settled in
>with all the items working. Once you are sure it's OK then run a defrag,
>then go in and shut off system restore and shut down. Restart and turn
>system restore back on. Now create a system back-up disk. Once you have
>that done create a restore point and start installing your other apps.
>Once they are all in I like to create a second back-up disk. This way
>you have an OS base and one with all your items.

Installing the drivers from the internet isn't possible when you don't have any
drivers in the first place. You can only upgrade/update them. Had I tried to
follow your directions, I wouldn't even be able to connect to the internet,
since there were no ethernet drivers.

Now that I have internet access, I can find the updated drivers I need, but in
the case of the video drivers, there is nothing presently installed, apparently,
so I can't use the 'net to update - there's nothing there *to* update.

Actually, the machine is working ok, much like it did when I first got it, since
I got rid of several years worth of junk that had been accumulating. There are
only two bugs, this question of the video drivers and the fact that I can't view
..pps and .wmv files from within Outlook Express. This is another problem I've
had in the past but those fixes don't work on the newer version of Powerpoint (I
foolishly downloaded and installed the 2010 version - I'm going to delete it
tonight and install the older version, which I know I can make work!).

The drivers for this video card are on these resource disks someplace, I just
don't know where. Yet.
Cheers,
jc

jc

On Tue, 08 Mar 2011 17:12:39 -0500, Michael Arm <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Go to the nvidia website, locate the card drivers, download and
>install. Simple! Especially since you have the ethernet card working.
>Mike

Thanks, Mike, but I'm fairly sure I wouldn't be able to install them, since you
need an installation disk to get the Wizard to find the files - unless they have
a 'setup' or similar file to download along with the drivers.

Using a friends computer, I went to the Broadcom site (the guys who built my
ethernet card) and they could only supply the driver files over the net, not the
setup files. Plus, I'm not sure that this missing video driver is in any way
related to Nvidia - the info in Device Manager doesn't give any specifics as to
what drivers I need or what, specfically I need them for. For all I know, they
may be some generic Microsoft drivers.

I have all the drivers for the ethernet card, both downloaded by a friend and
from the saved files on my external hard drive - however, the Wizard couldn't
"see" them. I am sure I have the necessary video driver files. It's finding
them on the Dell resource disk, which seems to be the only place I can install
them from.

I tried having the Wizard search every place I knew the files existed - the ext.
HD, a flash drive (with the files downloaded from the Broadcom website), a CD
with only those specific drivers on it, and even mental telepathy - but the Wiz
was lost without the Dell resource disks and a setup or similar file to work
from.

The needed files are on one of the disks I have - but without knowing what
folder they're in and what file I need to open to get the thing started, the
video controller remains in the 'other' box with the yellow question mark.

I should also add that everything in Device Manager, under the heading of
"Sound, Video and Game Controllers," says that everything is working properly.
It's just that one item in "Other Devices" that says the video controller does
not have a driver.

Flight Simulator 10 says it's "not working with my video controller" so there is
definitely something out of whack with my system. All I have to do is find out
what folder Dell hid the damn drivers in. It's just a double click away... if I
only knew where to click!
Cheers,
jc

Steve W.

jc wrote:
> On Tue, 08 Mar 2011 12:57:10 -0500, "Steve W." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

SNIP

> Installing the drivers from the internet isn't possible when you don't have any
> drivers in the first place. You can only upgrade/update them. Had I tried to
> follow your directions, I wouldn't even be able to connect to the internet,
> since there were no ethernet drivers.

Didn't know you don't have a second machine. Or a friend with a machine.

> Now that I have internet access, I can find the updated drivers I need, but in
> the case of the video drivers, there is nothing presently installed, apparently,
> so I can't use the 'net to update - there's nothing there *to* update.
>
> Actually, the machine is working ok, much like it did when I first got it, since
> I got rid of several years worth of junk that had been accumulating. There are
> only two bugs, this question of the video drivers and the fact that I can't view
> .pps and .wmv files from within Outlook Express. This is another problem I've
> had in the past but those fixes don't work on the newer version of Powerpoint (I
> foolishly downloaded and installed the 2010 version - I'm going to delete it
> tonight and install the older version, which I know I can make work!).

Yeah I'm not real thrilled with the new 2010 version but I'll get used
to it I guess.

> The drivers for this video card are on these resource disks someplace, I just
> don't know where. Yet.
> Cheers,
> jc

Go directly to the Nvidea site.

These should be the ones.
http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp-2...ql-driver.html

The download package will run and search for the card then install the
driver and any needed control software for it.
No need to use the MS wizard at all.

Same thing with the audio card.

http://support.creative.com/Products...s.aspx?catid=1
Not sure which model or I would run it down.

As for the file problem in Outlook Express. The latest updates shut off
some of the files that will open inline. By default they get turned off
because they can carry virus files.
You can change that by using the file controls under the tools menu.

--
Steve W.