Xtal choice for Pic16f88

pips4545@gmail.com

Hi,
Microchip's datasheet for the pic16f88 says:

The PIC16F87/88 oscillator design requires the use of
a parallel cut crystal. Use of a series cut crystal may
give a frequency out of the crystal manufacturer's
specifications.

So I am choosing a 20MHz Xtal to use.
The part I'm looking at is: RAKON -- CRYSTAL, 12SMX (B) 20 MHZ
And the datasheet I have for it is here: http://www.farnell.com/datasheets/90981.pdf

I can't tell from the datasheet if this is parallel cut or series cut
(and in fact I don't really know what these terms mean). Can anyone
shed any light on this.

Or alternatively recommend an alternative small SMD 20MHz Xtal with
decent accuracy, suitable for pic16f88.

Thanks in advance,
Pip.

Tim Wescott

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> Hi,
> Microchip's datasheet for the pic16f88 says:
>
> The PIC16F87/88 oscillator design requires the use of
> a parallel cut crystal. Use of a series cut crystal may
> give a frequency out of the crystal manufacturer's
> specifications.
>
> So I am choosing a 20MHz Xtal to use.
> The part I'm looking at is: RAKON -- CRYSTAL, 12SMX (B) 20 MHZ
> And the datasheet I have for it is here: http://www.farnell.com/datasheets/90981.pdf
>
> I can't tell from the datasheet if this is parallel cut or series cut
> (and in fact I don't really know what these terms mean). Can anyone
> shed any light on this.
>
> Or alternatively recommend an alternative small SMD 20MHz Xtal with
> decent accuracy, suitable for pic16f88.
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Pip.

If it specifies a load capacitance it's parallel cut -- and you need to
load it correctly to get the frequency right.

A series cut crystal is the same as a parallel cut crystal; the
difference is just in the tuning, not the construction.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Smallest Xtal Bob Embedded 14 12-20-2005 06:18 PM
i2c slave using PIC16F88. Need urgent help/opinion. mallik_kommaraju@yahoo.co.in Embedded 1 10-14-2005 03:13 PM
AT91SAM7S XTAL Selection Ian Mcbride Embedded 9 10-06-2005 11:17 AM
Variations on XTAL clock frequency Embedded 26 02-27-2005 12:22 AM
PIC16F88, PORTA strange behaviour Frank Bemelman Embedded 11 12-03-2004 09:33 AM