xw9300 & installation of debian lenny

amka

Hi dear all,

I have a problem. I bought a nice xw9300 an tried to install debian
lenny, but...

One of the first messages of the installation is

Your BIOS doesn't leave a aperture memory hole
Enable the IOMMU option in your BIOS

But no IOMMU option in my bios, and
putting "install iommu=memapper=3" at the boot prompt doesn't help...

Can please someone help me ?

Thanks,
Amel

Benjamin Gawert

Am 02.08.2010 19:54, * amka:

> I have a problem. I bought a nice xw9300 an tried to install debian
> lenny, but...
>
> One of the first messages of the installation is
>
> Your BIOS doesn't leave a aperture memory hole
> Enable the IOMMU option in your BIOS

Are you still using the non-HP BIOS which was never designed for your mobo?

Put back the HP BIOS into the machine, update to the latest version that
can be found on the HP website, and stick "acpi=off" in your boot parameter.

If that doesn't help, have a look at itrc.hp.com (you might need to
register for a free account) and search the support documents as there
also should be some that cover Linux issues.

Benjamin

Cydrome Leader

amka <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Hi dear all,
>
> I have a problem. I bought a nice xw9300 an tried to install debian
> lenny, but...
>
> One of the first messages of the installation is
>
> Your BIOS doesn't leave a aperture memory hole
> Enable the IOMMU option in your BIOS
>
> But no IOMMU option in my bios, and
> putting "install iommu=memapper=3" at the boot prompt doesn't help...
>
> Can please someone help me ?
>
> Thanks,
> Amel

yes, install a real operating system on that computer.

amka

On 3 août, 06:32, Benjamin Gawert <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Am 02.08.2010 19:54, * amka:
>
> > I have a problem. I bought a nice xw9300 an tried to install debian
> > lenny, but...

> > One of the first messages of the installation is

> > * * Your BIOS doesn't leave a aperture memory hole
> > * * Enable the IOMMU option in your BIOS

> Are you still using the non-HP BIOS which was never designed for your mobo?

No, I put th HP's and reseted it.

> Put back the HP BIOS into the machine, update to the latest version that
> can be found on the HP website, and stick "acpi=off" in your boot parameter.

'acpi=off' works perfectly, thanks. No message about iommu more during
the installation, but it comes again at the beginning of the boot.

I have too 4x PCI errors,'Failed to allocate memory ressource #...
for..' :

0000:0a:00.0 lspci -> doesn't exist
0001:40:02.0 lspci -> PCI Bridge: Advanced Micro Device [AMD]
AMD-8131 PCI-X Bridge (rev 12)
0001:61:06.0 lspci -> SCSI storage controller: LSI Logic...
0001:61.06.1 lspci -> SCSI storage controller: LSI Logic...

I dont understand. It works if it is on lspci or not ? Not sure, isn't
it ?

> If that doesn't help, have a look at itrc.hp.com (you might need to
> register for a free account) and search the support documents as there
> also should be some that cover Linux issues.
>
> Benjamin

Thanks a lot,

Amel

Benjamin Gawert

On 10/08/2010 12:45, * amka:

>> Are you still using the non-HP BIOS which was never designed for your mobo?

> No, I put th HP's and reseted it.

Good decision.

>> Put back the HP BIOS into the machine, update to the latest version that
>> can be found on the HP website, and stick "acpi=off" in your boot parameter.

> 'acpi=off' works perfectly, thanks. No message about iommu more during
> the installation, but it comes again at the beginning of the boot.
>
> I have too 4x PCI errors,'Failed to allocate memory ressource #...
> for..' :
>
> 0000:0a:00.0 lspci -> doesn't exist
> 0001:40:02.0 lspci -> PCI Bridge: Advanced Micro Device [AMD]
> AMD-8131 PCI-X Bridge (rev 12)
> 0001:61:06.0 lspci -> SCSI storage controller: LSI Logic...
> 0001:61.06.1 lspci -> SCSI storage controller: LSI Logic...
>
> I dont understand. It works if it is on lspci or not ?

It says it can't allocate memory for the controller, so it probably
isn't working (correctly or at all). Do you actually use/need the SCSI
controller? Is it enabled/disabled in the BIOS? Is the controller
firmware on the latest revision?

> Not sure, isn't
> it ?

Well, HP only supported Redhat Linux on the xw9300, and since the
standard installers often had some issues with less widespread hardware
they also came up with a Linux Installation Kit:

<http://h20331.www2.hp.com/hpsub/cache/537200-0-0-225-121.html>

To be honest, I'm not sure if Debian is the best operating system for
you as it is aimed at advanced users (no offense!). My recommendation
would be to stick with a more user-friendly variant of Linux, like
Fedora (which is basically Redhat) or Ubuntu (which is basically
Debian). IIRC (I got rid of my xw9300 long ago) Ubuntu quite well on them.

Ben

HP xw9300 mainboard Aka HP 1 12-20-2009 05:05 AM
HP xw9300 memory upgrade Pat Kelecy HP 4 04-25-2007 12:57 PM
FA: HP xw9300 workstation * 2x Opteron 285 * 32GB RAM * Quadro FX5500Gfx w. 1GB memory * Smart Array 6402 w. 576MB Cache (Germany) Benjamin Gawert HP 0 03-03-2007 04:30 PM
Upgrades to my HP xw9300 Patrick Kelecy HP 2 04-18-2006 11:22 AM
Solaris on HP xw9300? Dan Koren HP 5 01-14-2006 05:21 PM