What are you trying to match when matching CPU's

bill f

I've got two p3 cpu's both are SL52R is there anything else that I
have to look for in order to "match" them?
IOW, what am I trying to match?
TIA
bill

Arno Wagner

In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.misc bill f <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I've got two p3 cpu's both are SL52R is there anything else that I
> have to look for in order to "match" them?
> IOW, what am I trying to match?
> TIA
> bill

Why do you want to "macht" them?

Maybe you should read the CPU datasheets. You can get them from
the Intel website. It also contains the explanations about the
markings.

Arno

Bob Eager

On Mon, 19 Sep 2005 03:56:52 UTC, Arno Wagner <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.misc bill f <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > I've got two p3 cpu's both are SL52R is there anything else that I
> > have to look for in order to "match" them?
> > IOW, what am I trying to match?
> > TIA
> > bill

> Why do you want to "macht" them?

Because there are CPU combinations that don't work (or are not
supported). If you know about CPU datasheets, then you know this.

> Maybe you should read the CPU datasheets. You can get them from
> the Intel website. It also contains the explanations about the
> markings.

More to the point, look for the 'specification update'. That contains
much useful information about combinations that work. It also tells you
what CPU versions will never work in multi-CPU systems!
--
Bob Eager
begin a new life...take up Extreme Ironing!

Arno Wagner

In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.misc Bob Eager <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Mon, 19 Sep 2005 03:56:52 UTC, Arno Wagner <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>> In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.misc bill f <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> > I've got two p3 cpu's both are SL52R is there anything else that I
>> > have to look for in order to "match" them?
>> > IOW, what am I trying to match?
>> > TIA
>> > bill

>> Why do you want to "macht" them?

> Because there are CPU combinations that don't work (or are not
> supported). If you know about CPU datasheets, then you know this.

So this is about multi-CPU systems?

>> Maybe you should read the CPU datasheets. You can get them from
>> the Intel website. It also contains the explanations about the
>> markings.

> More to the point, look for the 'specification update'. That contains
> much useful information about combinations that work. It also tells you
> what CPU versions will never work in multi-CPU systems!

Good advice. Should be on the same pae as the original specs.

Arno