Your Views on Green IT?

p.doran@lancaster.ac.uk

What are your views the rise of green IT? Is it all hype? Or do you
believe the major vendors are making significant progress towards
offering genuinely environmentally responsible products and services?

If you are/were in a position to influence the purchase choices of the
company you work for - would you consider the green attributes of the
product/service as important?

Does your company have its own green procurement policies or minimum
standards?

Do you believe any of the major IT vendors are leading the way when it
comes to green IT, or do you hear more from certain vendors on the
subject than others?

I am very interested to hear your views - I am conducting research as
part of an MBA dissertation into this subject and I keen to get the
honest views of people working in the field!

Appreciate any thoughts you may be able to share!

ChrisQ

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> What are your views the rise of green IT? Is it all hype? Or do you
> believe the major vendors are making significant progress towards
> offering genuinely environmentally responsible products and services?

> If you are/were in a position to influence the purchase choices of
> the company you work for - would you consider the green attributes of
> the product/service as important?
>
> Does your company have its own green procurement policies or minimum
> standards?
>
> Do you believe any of the major IT vendors are leading the way when
> it comes to green IT, or do you hear more from certain vendors on the
> subject than others?
>
> I am very interested to hear your views - I am conducting research as
> part of an MBA dissertation into this subject and I keen to get the
> honest views of people working in the field!
>
> Appreciate any thoughts you may be able to share!

The rising cost of energy means that many companies might
like to upgrade to systems with lower consumption, but how to
achieve this economically is another matter. It's not just the cost of
upgrading hardware, but re installing and requalification of software
that runs on it, upgrading the infrastructure and support systems.
For example, If the kit uses less power, does it make sense to upgrade
the aircon because it's running at less load and thus lower efficiency
?. For a large company, I would think the costs could be astronomical, so
why should they do it, when there's little tax incentive, leadership or
example coming from governments ?. Governments are there to lead by
example etc. All we hear from the us is drilling for more oil, china and
india build a new coal fired power station every week etc etc etc ad
nauseum..

I run a small lab and refuse to go to a lot of expense / wear hair shirt
for what may be dubious science and when the total uk footprint is a
tiny fraction of the worlds worst case polluters - ymmv. Yes, that's the
selfish attitude, but until there's more leadership and cooperation at
worldwide level, how can we take the issue seriously ?...

Chris