Zalman coolers for A8N-VM CSM

Simian Dyson

I need to replace the stock cooler on this mobo with an X2 3800+ CPU and am
looking at the 7000B-Al-Cu or the CNPS9500. The price difference on these is
substantial enough that I'm wondering how much better the CNPS9500 cools for
its cost. Is anyone out there using either of these coolers on this mobo,
and if so, any regrets or joy? Silence and better cooling are my goals here.
TIA.

RobZip

I'm using Zalman 9500's on both my son's system - P4S800D-x board based and
mine, a P4P800 E Deluxe board system. My system a P43.0 Ghz clocked up at
3.34 Ghz runs steady cool at 105 F in a 78 degree F room. The most intense
workout I gave it running Prime95 for about an hour saw the temp peak at 122
F . Doing normal stuff like encoding DVD video files for conmpression will
see the temps hit around 116 F This compares to temps with the stock cooler
doing the same tasks whick topped in the 140's for Prime95 and were
typically in the upper 120's during video compression.

Installation of the cooler is probably best done with the motherboard out of
the case since reaching the mount screws isn't the easiest task. On my
system I was able to unbolt the power supply and swing it out of the way.
It's a big unit - but it does the job well. I can use the speed control and
run it as low as 1300 RPM and still have adequate airflow.

Simian Dyson

"RobZip" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:HrzZf.85140$(E-Mail Removed).. .
> I'm using Zalman 9500's on both my son's system - P4S800D-x board based
> and mine, a P4P800 E Deluxe board system. My system a P43.0 Ghz clocked up
> at 3.34 Ghz runs steady cool at 105 F in a 78 degree F room. The most
> intense workout I gave it running Prime95 for about an hour saw the temp
> peak at 122 F . Doing normal stuff like encoding DVD video files for
> conmpression will see the temps hit around 116 F This compares to temps
> with the stock cooler doing the same tasks whick topped in the 140's for
> Prime95 and were typically in the upper 120's during video compression.
>
> Installation of the cooler is probably best done with the motherboard out
> of the case since reaching the mount screws isn't the easiest task. On my
> system I was able to unbolt the power supply and swing it out of the way.
> It's a big unit - but it does the job well. I can use the speed control
> and run it as low as 1300 RPM and still have adequate airflow.

Thanks, but my question was specifically regarding the motherboard in my
subject. The northbridge passive heatsink on this mobo is perilously close
to the CPU socket, so I need to know if these coolers fit.

Dave and Kim

What mother board are you using? I just built a A8N-premium with X2 3800
and put on an Artic Cooler Freezer 64 Pro. So far it is working great.

news:llxZf.65279$(E-Mail Removed) et...

"Simian Dyson" (E-Mail Removed) wrote in message
news:llxZf.65279$(E-Mail Removed) et...
>I need to replace the stock cooler on this mobo with an X2 3800+ CPU and am
>looking at the 7000B-Al-Cu or the CNPS9500. The price difference on these
>is substantial enough that I'm wondering how much better the CNPS9500 cools
>for its cost. Is anyone out there using either of these coolers on this
>mobo, and if so, any regrets or joy? Silence and better cooling are my
>goals here. TIA.

RobZip

"Simian Dyson" <[nospam](E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:d1DZf.393$(E-Mail Removed).. .

> Thanks, but my question was specifically regarding the motherboard in my
> subject. The northbridge passive heatsink on this mobo is perilously close
> to the CPU socket, so I need to know if these coolers fit.

Zalman has a compatability chart here:
http://www.zalman.co.kr/usa/product/...65&code=005009 If your
specific board isn't listed, find one with a similar layout.

I too had concerns about the clearance over the Northbridge heatsink but
despite the close proximity, it clears very nicely.

DRS

"Dave and Kim" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:EOFZf.56138$(E-Mail Removed). net
> "Simian Dyson" <[nospam](E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:llxZf.65279$(E-Mail Removed) et...
>> I need to replace the stock cooler on this mobo with an X2 3800+ CPU
>> and am looking at the 7000B-Al-Cu or the CNPS9500. The price
>> difference on these is substantial enough that I'm wondering how
>> much better the CNPS9500 cools for its cost. Is anyone out there
>> using either of these coolers on this mobo, and if so, any regrets
>> or joy? Silence and better cooling are my goals here. TIA.

> What mother board are you using? I just built a A8N-premium with X2
> 3800 and put on an Artic Cooler Freezer 64 Pro. So far it is working
> great.

The Freezer 64 Pro also has the benefit of fitting on the standard S939
mounts. It's less than half the price of the 9500 where I live and there's
probably no more than a degree's difference between the two. Can't be
beaten for value/performance.