Zalman VF900 Power Connectors

psistormyamato@cs.com

I am thinking about buying the Zalman VF900, but I'm not sure if
everything that I need is included in the kit, or if I to purchase an
additional connector.
http://www.zalman.co.kr/ENG/product/...ad.asp?Idx=144

The fan has a 3-pin connector, which is supposed to plug into the "Fan
Mate" speed controller. The manual states: "Connect the appropriate 3-
pin connector on the cable to the motherboard fan header and the VF900-
Cu fan connector." But what am I supposed to do if I don't have any
spare 3-pin connectors on my motherboard?

In a previous post, First of One said: "The Zalman does not plug into
the card. It connects to a 4-pin molex from
your power supply. The little black box is a manual fan speed adjuster
that
you can optionally use. Many people skip the adjuster and just run the
fan
at 100% speed all the time. " But the manual says that the included
Fan Mate cable is a 6-pin connector.

Did they redesign the VF900, or what? Do I need to buy some kind of 4-
pin molex to 3-pin fan connector to make a direct connection?

First of One

To clarify, the VF900 has a 3-pin connector, the same type as those used on
CPU fans. If you have a spare fan header on your motherboard, the VF900 can
be plugged into the motherboard without any additional adapters.

To run the VF900 off the PSU instead, you need a 3 to 4-pin adapter like
this one:
Note only 2 of the 3 pins are used. The 3rd pin is for RPM monitoring, which
is meaningless when plugged into the PSU.

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I am thinking about buying the Zalman VF900, but I'm not sure if
> everything that I need is included in the kit, or if I to purchase an
> additional connector.
> http://www.zalman.co.kr/ENG/product/...ad.asp?Idx=144
>
> The fan has a 3-pin connector, which is supposed to plug into the "Fan
> Mate" speed controller. The manual states: "Connect the appropriate 3-
> pin connector on the cable to the motherboard fan header and the VF900-
> Cu fan connector." But what am I supposed to do if I don't have any
> spare 3-pin connectors on my motherboard?
>
> In a previous post, First of One said: "The Zalman does not plug into
> the card. It connects to a 4-pin molex from
> your power supply. The little black box is a manual fan speed adjuster
> that
> you can optionally use. Many people skip the adjuster and just run the
> fan
> at 100% speed all the time. " But the manual says that the included
> Fan Mate cable is a 6-pin connector.
>
> Did they redesign the VF900, or what? Do I need to buy some kind of 4-
> pin molex to 3-pin fan connector to make a direct connection?

ShadowTek

OK, thanks again. I just want to be sure of everything before I start
spending money. lol