µGuru - It's nice!

Discussion in 'Abit' started by Wayne Youngman, Feb 26, 2004.

  1. Hi all,

    well after a few days playing around with an AN7 (?Guru) I just wanted to
    share my thoughts on it with anyone who is geek enough to be interested.

    I'm sure you all know about it (in theory) but having used it for a few days
    I quite like it.

    Things I like:

    1) Accurate *Feedback* of all your voltages and temps.

    2) saving 5 (or so) BIOS layouts (named) used this allot already

    3) OC on the Fly! (works 95% of the time) Didn't try to use the Windows GUI
    one :p

    Sadly the *Functionality* of the ABIT-EQ software doesn't come anyway close
    to that of the mighty Motherboard-Monitor, but I have a feeling it will very
    soon. Having said that MBM isn't as accurate reading wise as ?Guru.

    I didn't try to install MBM on the ?Guru enabled boards yet, but it appears
    ABIT have begun updating the BIOS on their ?Guru boards to *prevent* MBM
    from working.

    There are other *minor* features of ?Guru that could be useful to some, for
    instance the Fan-EQ feature can monitor and adjust the CPU and Northbridge
    fan so that there slow down when your system is not too busy/hot. This
    could prove useful to some SFF lovers.

    Lets see how this ?Guru tech settles in, but I am waiting for ABIT to
    produce some kicky interface that adds more MBM type Functionality. . .

    Final Word: ?Guru looks like it *could* become the system tweakers best
    friend. . .

    Wayne Youngman, Feb 26, 2004

  2. Wayne Youngman

    rms Guest

    3) OC on the Fly! (works 95% of the time) Didn't try to use the Windows
    GUI
    Can you go from say 100mhz fsb to 200+ without problems? I don't know
    of a free utility that is able to do that without crashing.

    rms

    rms, Feb 26, 2004

  3. Wayne Youngman

    Phil Weldon Guest

    Thanks for posting the info! I know what you mean about aBit's
    temp/fan/voltage reporting application. Unfortunately, it has been pretty
    lame since aBit came out with monitoring hardware on their motherboards. I
    don't think aBit will ever have an applet that will match MBM.

    --
    Phil Weldon, pweldonatmindjumpdotcom
    For communication,

    Phil Weldon, Feb 26, 2004
  4. Wayne Youngman

    Moods Guest

    rms gebruikte zijn klavier om te schrijven :
    With clockgen (http://www.cpuid.com/clockgen.php) you can make
    shortcuts to different fsb numbers.
    I use this on my A7N8X-X board to go from 166 to 232 fsb and back,
    without a problem. (1660Mhz - 2330Mhz)

    Moods, Feb 26, 2004
  5. Wayne Youngman

    Chip Guest

    Personally, I find Clockgen to be fairly useless because its lacking one
    *critical* piece of functionality. Namely, you can't set the CPU voltage
    (for Athlon XP's that is).

    Since every CPU will need more volts to run at 2330MHz than it will to run
    at 1660, then your only choice is to give it enough volts to run at 2330 all
    the time. Which means running at 1660 is a bit of a waste of time - its
    producing nearly as much heat anyway, since its still getting the higher
    voltage. So why bother switching, why not just run at 2330 all the time?
    Clockgen isn't much use really, I think.

    What you need is a utility that can flip from (say) 1.65v at 1660 to (say)
    1.85v at 2330. 8rdavcore is one such utility. www.hasw.net There may be
    others.

    Chip.

    Chip, Feb 26, 2004
  6. Wayne Youngman

    Doughnut Guest

    With Uguru and the windows interface the voltage can be increased on the fly
    and i find it works great, I go from a 166fsb up to 210 without crashing
    giving me 2404mhz on my 2600 barton.

    doughnut

    Doughnut, Feb 26, 2004
  7. Wayne Youngman

    rms Guest

    What you need is a utility that can flip from (say) 1.65v at 1660 to (say)
    8rdavcore fails at the test of moving from say 100fsb @1.25v to 230fsb
    @1.9v. Hopefully the author can figure out what internal bios parameters
    need changing for that to work.

    rms

    rms, Feb 26, 2004
  8. Wayne Youngman

    Alan Guest

    I have an AI7 board. I haven't installed u-Guru yet. I have a P4 2.6C
    (stock fan and heatsink) with 512MB Corsair Ram (dual channel) and an Abit
    FX5200 video card. Right now, everything is very stable. I don't know
    anything about overclocking or if these components would even qualify for
    overclocking.

    So, can I do it with what I have using u-Guru? Can I just use the turbo
    slider and if so, how much? Also, does u-Guru reside in the system tray and
    always run in the background? Does it use much resources?

    Thanks,
    Alan

    Alan, Feb 26, 2004

  9. Hi,
    nice mobo :p I'm not sure uGuru in windows is the way you want to
    overclock, I didn't try that yet myself. The uGuru chip is meant to use
    very little system resources during hardware monitoring. If you intend to
    overclock its worth reading up about what's involved, before you start
    playing around with the FSB slider and stuff like that. Having said that
    you have a great set-up for tweaking, but just take onboard all that's
    involved before you proceed.

    Someone posted this link the other day, its quite good:
    http://www.modthebox.com/overclock.shtml

    There is three parts, this is part one. . . .

    Wayne Youngman, Feb 27, 2004
  10. Wayne Youngman

    Chip Guest

    True. But I doubt any utility exists that can do a jump of that magnitude.

    Chip

    Chip, Feb 27, 2004