1.0-4363 Linux driver - Failed to initialize the NVIDIA kernel module!

Discussion in 'Nvidia' started by Jason Becker, Jul 6, 2003.

  1. Jason Becker

    Jason Becker Guest

    Hi All.

    I have a Nvidia GeForce2 MX 400 video card that I'm using with
    Mandrake 9.1. I installed the latest Nvidia driver available from:

    http://www.nvidia.com/view.asp?IO=linux_display_ia32_1.0-4363

    Problem is that it seems rather flakey. It will work for awhile and
    then X will fail to load. The /var/log/mdkkde.log writes the following
    entry:

    -begin-

    Using vt 7
    (EE) NVIDIA(0): Failed to initialize the NVIDIA kernel module!
    (EE) NVIDIA(0): *** Aborting ***
    (EE) Screen(s) found, but none have a usable configuration.

    Fatal server error:
    no screens found

    -end-

    If I:

    insmod ./nvidia.o

    it will work fine again, for awhile.

    Anyone else experienced the same? I think this driver is buggy. This
    is becoming rather annoying...

    Thanks in advance.

    Cheers

    Jason Becker, Jul 6, 2003

  2. Hi there,

    /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 contains the definitions for screens, monitors,
    drivers etc...

    Try running Mandrake Control Center to make sure all your monitor,
    screen res, display manager chooser etc settings are correct (max
    refresh rates etc...), then check the above file to see they read
    OK.

    Also, are you running an AMD CPU (Duron/Athlon)? If so, you will
    need the amd32 version, not the ia32 version (for genuine Intel
    CPU's). Grab it from nvidia's website...

    Kind regards,

    Chris Wilkinson, New Zealand.

    Chris Wilkinson, Jul 6, 2003

  3. Jason Becker

    baskitcaise Guest

    Not wishing to doubt you here but I have never seen nvidia drivers
    specifically for the athlon ( there are some compiled for the 64bit arch but
    not 32bit )

    I will be glad if you could prve me wrong and give me a direct link :)

    baskitcaise, Jul 6, 2003
  4. Jason Becker

    aep Guest

    There isn't an AMD32 on the website. I use the IA32 with MDK 9.1 just
    fine on my Athlon.

    Andrew.

    aep, Jul 6, 2003
  5. Jason Becker

    Jason Becker Guest

    It all looks good... The same config file works fine (Tuxracer,
    Chromium) once I manually install the module/driver. To be more
    specific, the only time there seems to be a problem is upon
    boot/reboot. With the Nvidia driver the screen flickers a few times
    (normal) but instead of the Nvidia splash screen I get the init 3
    console screen.
    Also looks good. I did try changing from the Mandrake DM to the KDE DM
    but that didn't help.

    Thanks for your suggestions.

    Cheers

    Jason Becker, Jul 6, 2003
  6. Jason Becker

    Jason Becker Guest

    That line exists.

    Thanks for your suggestion.

    Cheers

    Jason Becker, Jul 6, 2003
  7. Jason Becker

    Jason Becker Guest

    As a workaround I have added:

    insmod /lib/modules/2.4.21-0.13mdk/kernel/drivers/video/nvidia.o

    to my /etc/rc.local

    Cheers

    Jason Becker, Jul 6, 2003
  8. Jason Becker

    Walt Guest

    In the readme it explains how to start
    the nvidia module on boot up it the
    correct way to start a module. In
    addition the readme has the neccessary
    info on configuring X.

    Walt, Jul 6, 2003
  9. hi there,
    you're right there, ooops!

    ia must mean iNTEL/aMD32...

    Checking the doc that comes with the nvidia driver is also a good
    idea, as its a quite comprehensive one...

    L8R,

    CW.

    Chris Wilkinson, Jul 10, 2003