1.2 Tualitan- how many volts is too many?

Discussion in 'Overclocking' started by Uncle Vinnie, Jul 16, 2005.

  1. Uncle Vinnie

    Uncle Vinnie Guest

    Last thread, I've now written off the Upgradware 370GU adapter for my Intel
    D815EEA board. (Though it works great in my Compaq.)

    I have taken the easy way out. As opposed to soldering, ala Lunchbox, I
    ordered the LinLin adapter, which has a voltage range of 1.3 to 1.05, jumper
    selectable.

    Since the 1.2 Piii calls for 1.475v, I was going to start at 1.50, perhaps
    level off at 1.55 (same as PowerLeap).

    Any precautions I should be aware of before I break anything? What are the
    voltage limits on the 1.2?

    I hope I don't have to go any higher than 1.55volts. The Coppermine is
    1.65.

    I am hoping the voltage jump will give me some stability.

    Thank you again!

    Uncle Vinnie, Jul 16, 2005

  2. Uncle Vinnie

    Uncle Vinnie Guest

    Typo- voltage range is 1.3 to 2.05.

    sorry 'bout that.

    Uncle Vinnie, Jul 16, 2005

  3. You may not need any overvoltage for that CPU. If you search
    Google you'll find a site (in German, and unfortunately I don't have
    the link handy) where 1.2GHz P3's are running happy as a lark at
    145 and 150FSB -- at 1.2V and even lower.

    Stick with rated voltage first, and address instability problems if
    they come up. Upper range for that cpu is usually 1.85-1.9V.

    Andy Sullivan, Jul 16, 2005
  4. Unlike other CPUs the Tualatins reach a point around 1.7-1.8 volts where it
    gets worse rather than better. I don't know if that's inherent to the CPU
    or the result of some interaction with running them on a coppermine
    motherboards. That's also happens to be about what the 'conventional
    wisdom' is for 'safe' overvolting, around 15-20% (which is why you see some
    motherboards limit the Vcore range).

    Overclockers sometimes push past that but, as I said, it seems to be
    counter productive on the tualatins.

    Your purpose isn't overclocking, though. The theory proposed by P2B, I
    think it was, is that perhaps your motherboard regulator can't regulate
    well enough at the low voltage so you're trying a higher voltage to get the
    *motherboard* Vcore more stable. In which case going on up to 1.65 might
    well be a useful test as it's a voltage the motherboard appears to handle,
    at least for a slower, lower current draw, coppermine.

    One the other end of the spectrum, if the problem is that the motherboard
    regulators can't handle the current load you might want to try a lower
    voltage to reduce the tualatin's power consumption.

    David Maynard, Jul 17, 2005
  5. Uncle Vinnie

    Uncle Vinnie Guest

    Thanks!

    The plot thickens!

    I'll start at 1.5 and work my way up, hopefully no higher than 1.6~1.65, see
    where that gets me. If nowhere, then I'll move down to 1.45..

    I should have the adapter by Tuesday.... so, I'll get back to you after
    that....

    Thank you VERY much for all your help... btw, still no reply from
    Upgradware... BUT if I can get this going with this adapter, then I should
    be OK.. not sure what components any of these things are made of anyway- the
    LinLin is all over ebay for $1 (they get you on shipping) and the
    Upgradware and PowerLeap, I think are around $30-40..... (I paid $39, 3
    years ago...)

    (as well as the Lunchbox mods, which I was hesitant....)

    Interesting... I'll get back to you... thank you again!!

    Uncle Vinnie, Jul 17, 2005
  6. 1.45 won't be any lower because your motherboard doesn't know what .025 is
    so 1.475 is 1.45 already. You'll need to at least go down to 1.4 and I'd
    try to 1.3 (in steps, of course)
    Good luck and do tell us how it went.

    David Maynard, Jul 17, 2005
  7. Uncle Vinnie

    Uncle Vinnie Guest

    Well, I'm now working on various settings from 1.4 to 1.6, nothing stable
    yet.

    Somewhere I read about possible heat issues with this board. I have the fan
    from the powersupply pulling air out of the box. I have added a fan to the
    front of the box (that is where Pionex placed the mounting), which pulls air
    into the box. I have an oversized Intel Heatsink/fan on the CPU. Temps are
    111 for processor and 99 for board area....

    Nothing seems out of the ordinary.... running with a 250 powersupply.
    Again, all runs solid with the 800 piii....

    Will keep tinkering...

    Uncle Vinnie, Jul 19, 2005
  8. Uncle Vinnie

    tom Guest

    On Tue, 19 Jul 2005 09:59:13 -0400, "Uncle Vinnie"

    I remember having several cpu adapters for pentium 2, but some would
    only work correctly with certain motherboards. Maybe you are just out
    of luck while pairing your motherboard with THIS special adapter.

    Do yourself a favour and trade it for another one, if u cant get it
    stable, the plug & play way. After all, you paid for it.

    tom, Jul 19, 2005
  9. Uncle Vinnie

    Uncle Vinnie Guest

    Hi, Tom...

    Actually, I have been swapping every component imaginable and it is no one
    component in particular.

    Runs fine with 800 mhz piii but nothing else.

    I've swapped out:

    Motherboards (D815EEA's, I have 2 of them)
    Hard Drives (I have 2 of them)
    Memory sticks (I have a stack of 128's and 256's)
    1.2 piii's (I have 2 of them)
    Upgradware 370GU's (I have 2 of them)
    And now the LinLin adapter.
    I have also swapped Power Supplies, no change..

    I'm running out of options here....

    Uncle Vinnie, Jul 19, 2005
  10. Was the alternate power supply beefier than 250 watts?

    David Maynard, Jul 20, 2005
  11. I hope you mean F.

    David Maynard, Jul 20, 2005
  12. Uncle Vinnie

    Uncle Vinnie Guest

    David- I think you might have nailed it!

    I swapped out Power Supplies yesterday, on a whim (the HD wouldn't spin). I
    had a 230, and tried once before with a 250, which must be why it crapped
    out.

    I got a 330 Antec from CompUSA and all seems to be running solid...(I also
    found one a 380 RaidMax at NewEgg which will come down to $8.00 after
    rebate).

    That might be the issue all along...

    If it continues to run solidl, I will attempt the Upgradware again, but for
    now, all is fine.

    Jumper setting at 1.55, Vcore at about 1.527.

    And yes, temp is in F!

    Odd, my Compaq has a similar PS and it runs all the same stuff...

    Uncle Vinnie, Jul 20, 2005
  13. Super. I'm glad you got it working.
    Might as well try the stock voltage again too.
    Well, not all power supplies of the same rating are the same, especially if
    all your looking at is total watts, and neither are motherboards, power
    wise I mean.

    Just as a side note, one of my BH6s is on a 250 watt supply as well.

    David Maynard, Jul 20, 2005
  14. Uncle Vinnie

    Fishface Guest

    Fishface, Jul 21, 2005
  15. David Maynard, Jul 21, 2005
  16. Uncle Vinnie

    Uncle Vinnie Guest

    Yes, and yes!

    I am running it over the next few days set at 1.55 (vcore at 1.527).

    If it was the PS all along (which it might be, and since my first attempt
    was to replace a 230 with 250- which probably meant my PS wasn't bad but
    that 230 or even 250 just wasn't enough), I will then crank it up a little
    and see what happens!

    However, if anyone needs a cranked up PC, that would be me....

    That will wait a week... (I have a Compaq 5000T/ 5BW. Motherboard believed
    to be actually Mitac 6513WU.

    Here, I might lead into the same problem... The stock PS is well 300...
    could be around 230... I need to check, and feeding more voltage might put
    more of a drain wouldn't it??

    Thank you both for all your help... As soon as all settles in, I will post
    a huge thank you... you''ve helped alot....

    Uncle Vinnie, Jul 21, 2005
  17. Uncle Vinnie

    Fishface Guest

    My Abit BF6 is currently running a Tualatin Celeron 1.1A at 139 x 11
    (which is all my memory will do 2-2-2 with the three slots filled) at
    1.65v. It ran 143 x 11 with just two sticks of memory, though. It's nice
    to be able to make the small adjustments. It is powered by a 230 watt
    Powman that came with the Inwin case. It is cooled by a physically
    cut-down and slowed-down Cu-Al HSF that came stock on my
    Athlon XP 2500+. I bought a 1.2 Celeron (also 12x multiplier) on
    eBay for my mom's computer, and quickly checked to see if it would
    run at 133 Mhz on my board. No luck!

    Fishface, Jul 21, 2005
  18. Uncle Vinnie

    Uncle Vinnie Guest

    Amazing...

    BTW, that is the PS I am replacing, 230 Powerman.... to a 380 raidmax I got
    at New Egg for $8 after shipping and rebate.

    I was going to put it into my Compaq, but am checking to see first, how my
    Compaq can only be running on 145W (per the part), with a 1.2 Tualatin,
    adapter, 512meg, DVD, CDRW, 40G HD, floppy, firewire, modem, NIC, and 4
    usb's all used...

    The idea would be, if all does run fine on my daughter's pc, she gets the
    upgradware adapter back, I get the LinLin. I then move the voltage up a tad.

    If I do get it to 1.65 or 1.7 as you mention, what would the 1.2 actually be
    running at?? AND, remember, this board runs 133 FSB, but 100 speed mem..
    (verified by Mitac- odd isn't it?)

    Thanks!

    Uncle Vinnie, Jul 21, 2005
  19. Mitac did a number of boards for Compaq. I've got one I picked up as a
    replacement for an HP motherboard.

    I bet you noticed that Compaq isn't HP. So did I after it got here but the
    fly by night *&%$ who sold it didn't.

    I bought it back when the tualatin mod was a hand wiring job and was going
    to use it to test for a customer's HP and it was supposed to BE the HP
    mobo. I had my own tualatin to test with and he agreed to pay for the mobo
    (it was very cheap) to run it on so if it worked I would swap boards and
    the customer got a tualatin plus I got his board for a 'spare' (and paid
    for the work). If it didn't I ended up with the new board as a 'spare'.

    As my perfect 'all bases covered' plan turned out I had to eat it because I
    couldn't run the test. One of those "best laid plans of mice and men..."
    things.

    Power consumption increase linearly with speed but with the square of the
    voltage, which is why increasing voltage is the last thing you want to do.
    When overclocking you increase speed first and voltage only if needed and
    only as little as needed because it's working both for you (volts for
    stability) and against you (heat generation). And the 'against you' part
    gets bad faster than the good it's doing real quick.

    David Maynard, Jul 21, 2005
  20. Uncle Vinnie

    Uncle Vinnie Guest

    Thanks David..

    Actually, this PC is a Compaq- it's coming up on 5 years old. I've taken it
    about as far as it can go...

    I was thinking of boosting speed a little by upping the voltage (per
    Fishface) but as it is, it is very stable, unless I keep it running without
    AC!
    (It's in my office, a converted attic- Without the AC on, the attic probably
    hits 110/120F! PLUS if I forget to keep the desk cabinet open that it's
    in!)

    My first idea was to replace the power supply since, per the part number,
    it's only 145 watts (how can that be?). I was going to take the 230w
    Powerman from my daughter's Intel (being replaced with a 380), and use it.

    BUT, I am not sure of 2 things- first, how can the Compaq p/s be only 145w?
    Second, is it a standard ATX p/s?

    The board, btw, is a Mitac 6513wu, with Compaq's part number 191767. The p/s
    is Compaq p/n 124848.

    Uncle Vinnie, Jul 21, 2005