1.33 Athalon - Safe Operating Temperature?

Discussion in 'AMD Thunderbird' started by whozix, Sep 13, 2004.

  1. whozix

    whozix Guest

    I rebuilt a system on a new FIC AU-13 motherboard, reusing my older Athalon
    1.33 CPU. I purchased this OEM chip 3 years ago along with an AMD -
    recommended Coolermaster heat-sink & fan. When I did the rebuild, I lapped
    the large aluminum heat-sink to a fine finish, using 2000-grit sandpaper and
    cleaned the CPU die with isopropyl alcohol. I finished by applying a fine
    coat of Arctic Silver 5 thermal paste, per the instructions on their
    website. I installed in an ATX mid-tower case with a single 80 mm case fan
    (blowing in).

    Despite this effort, CPU temps range from 47 Celsius at ambient room
    temperatures in the low 70's (Fahrenheit) to 55 Celsius at room temperatures
    in the low 80's (Fahrenheit). These temps occur after 15 or 20 minutes of
    light operation (web surfing). I fear these temps are too high for sustained
    system health. I had hoped to achieve a modest overclock with this CPU but
    with these temperatures, I won't even try.

    Questions:

    1. Am I correct in assuming that these temps are too high?
    2. Can someone recommend an affordable heat-sink/fan combo that will
    significantly reduce the CPU temperature? My budget is tight ($20 - $25 US).

    Thanks for any wisdom or input.

    whozix, Sep 13, 2004

  2. whozix

    Wes Newell Guest

    No. He has it right. Assuming it's mountefd in the lower front. The PSU
    fan is an exhaust, so he has it set up the way it should be.

    Wes Newell, Sep 13, 2004

  3. whozix

    Wes Newell Guest

    55C is not too hot considering room temps of 80+F.
    They seem pretty much normal considering the condidtions, CPU, and coolers
    of the time frame.
    Would have helped to know which exact cooler you had, but for one that is
    cheap ($8), quiet (21dba), and does a great job (rated up to 3400+,
    there's the TR2-M1 (or M3). Replacing the 2500rpm 80mm fan would give you
    better cooling but shouldn't be needed. Another good choice though more
    expensive but close to your price range would be a Thermalright ALX-800
    with a fan of your choice. It's $16 without a fan. throw a $1.69 80mm fan
    on it and it will probably cool a little better than the TR2-M1. test show
    it to be very close to the top performers.

    Wes Newell, Sep 13, 2004
  4. whozix

    Raj Guest

    you should had that fan on your atx case blowing the air out of the case.

    Raj, Sep 13, 2004
  5. whozix

    whozix Guest

    Would have helped to know which exact cooler you had,

    Sorry it is a Coolermaster DP5-6I31C, specs. available here:
    http://www.coolermaster.com/index.p..._place=product&p_serial=AAC-001&other_title=0
    My thanks for your kind suggestions. Would you care to speculate about what
    sort of temperature improvement I might realize by changing to one of your
    recommended solutions?

    whozix, Sep 14, 2004
  6. whozix

    Wes Newell Guest

    Compared to the old one you have now I'd guess it would lower the temps by
    10-15C.

    Wes Newell, Sep 14, 2004
  7. whozix

    whozix Guest

    Thanks again. I am presently shopping on-line for a new HS & fan.

    whozix, Sep 14, 2004
  8. whozix

    R Davis Guest

    If this case fan is in the rear of the case it should be blowing Out, not
    in. I think this will make a big drop.

    R Davis, Sep 15, 2004
  9. whozix

    rstlne Guest

    Search Goggole For it..
    http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&q=roommate+idiot+lie+dishonest+stoopid&meta=
    or
    http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&q=gullible+"Believes+anything"+dumbass&meta=

    rstlne, Sep 15, 2004
  10. whozix

    Nero Guest

    ATHLON
    not ATHELON

    Nero, Sep 15, 2004
  11. whozix

    rstlne Guest

    rstlne, Sep 16, 2004
  12. whozix

    Rubbie Guest

    Well I have an AMD Thunderbird 1333 (I think it's the same as you have) and
    you might wanna know that it's nickname at that time was: firehead (or in
    dutch "Heethoofd"). Thunderbird CPU's were well known for there extreme
    temperatures.

    I have my CPU running for 3,5 years now @ temperatures of:

    Winter: idle 55 celsisus Stressed @ 65 celsius

    and during the summer days it get's worse

    Summer: idle 67 celsius Stressed @ 72/73 celsius

    If you don't believe me I can send you pictures of the temperatures that I
    get.

    So in your case I'd say you have some nice temperatures there man :).
    Although you might always want to try and get the CPU better cooled.

    Regards,

    Rubbie

    Rubbie, Sep 16, 2004
  13. whozix

    Athura Guest

    My 1333 t-bird has been around 55 deg C for months with no problems.

    Athura, Sep 18, 2004