    at 1.67Ghz but is it worth swapping them over?

    Regards

    Rob

    Rob, Aug 31, 2004

  2. Rob

    Wes Newell Guest

    If you don't overclock either of them, they're probably pretty close to
    the same perfomance levels with the Athlon wining if the extra cache is
    used and the Duron wining if the extra cache is not used.

    Wes Newell, Aug 31, 2004

  3. Dear Wes,

    I have KT7-RAID(non-A version) with, I thinks, 7/11/2002 BIOS update.
    I'm running AMD Athlon 800MHz at this time, but need to upgrade for Adobe
    Premiere 7 software requirement, namely, SSE('Streaming SIMD Extensions').

    What AMD version should I get to upgrade my current CPU?
    Athlon XP?, Duron?, what speed?

    Thanks

    Useko Netsumi, Sep 2, 2004
  4. Will the following works for KT7-RAID(non-A version)?

    AMD Athlon XP-M 2400+
    2.00GHz, 512KB, 333MHz, Socket A

    Thanks

    Useko Netsumi, Sep 2, 2004
  5. Rob

    Wes Newell Guest

    Any XP will work. The limitation will be if it's multiplier locked or not.
    IOW's a new multiplier locked XP 2500+ has a locked multiplier of 11, so
    it will only run at 11x100MHz FSB (1100MHz) in your board. The XP-M should
    be unlocked and should let you set the multiplier higher. Your cheapest
    route would be an older XP 2100+ Tbred B core, or 2400+. I've found used
    ones on ebay for under $40. If you get a 2100+, you just need to make sure
    that it's a B core. Don't worry about core of 2400+. They're all B cores.
    Neither of these would need a modding, just drop it in and reboot at
    2000MHz. But whichever you get, it needs to be an older unlocked model.
    XP-M's and MP's are all unlocked I think, but they are expensive compared
    to others.

    Wes Newell, Sep 2, 2004
  6. Wes, I really appreciate your kind help(and lots of educational info as
    well) and thank you for your insightful advise.

    I will look around the model what you suggested.

    Regards,

    Useko

    Useko Netsumi, Sep 2, 2004