    and which will give me more value?

    Thanks

    Eric L

    Eric L, Dec 16, 2007

  2. Eric L

    John Dallman Guest

    Take the Core 2 Duo. It's more modern and multi-threading works better.
    Speed should be just about the same.

    John Dallman, Dec 16, 2007

  3. Eric L

    Eric L Guest

    Ok thanks

    Eric L, Dec 18, 2007
  4. Eric L

    Ivan Guest

    I overclocked my E6320 C2D (stock speed - 1.86 Ghz) up to 2.8 Ghz, and it
    goes even beyond 3 Ghz.

    Further C2D advantages are larger cache and two cores.

    So there's no dilemma between C2D and Pentium D.

    Ivan, Dec 18, 2007
  5. Eric L

    Nate Edel Guest

    Actually, the Pentium D *has* two cores. And depending on the model of
    Pentium D and the model or Core 2 Duo in question, it can have either the
    same size cache (Pentium D 8xx and lower end Core 2 Duo, both 2mb cache;
    Pentium D 9xx and higher end Core 2 Duo, both 4mb cache) or a smaller/larger
    one.

    The Core 2 Duo usually has a faster FSB, though.

    Nate Edel, Dec 18, 2007
  6. And the C2 will overclock in most cases, certainly without thermal
    problems. PentiumD runs hot at any speed.

    Bill Davidsen, Dec 21, 2007
  7. Eric L

    Nate Edel Guest

    The C2 overclocks way better, and runs much cooler, yes. The PentiumD 9xx
    processors did run a good bit cooler than the 8xx ones; I ran one for about
    18 months with a slight (940 3.2ghz @ ~3.46ghz) with stock cooling and even
    pegged at 100% on both cores for video encoding temperatures stayed pretty
    reasonable.

    OTOH, the same is true for my present Q6600 at a much higher overclock
    (stable with stock cooling at 2.88ghz)

    Nate Edel, Dec 23, 2007