    is... [the 2 DIMMS option costs less for some reason; is this a worse
    option, so to speak?..]. Please suggest. Many thanks!

    Mark Shell

    Mark Shell, Nov 18, 2003

  2. Mark Shell wrote:

    > I was about to buy a Dell Inspiron-5100 laptop computer, but the following
    > options stopped me:
    >
    > Memory:
    > 256MB 266MHz 2 DIMMS
    > 256MB 266MHz 1 DIMM
    >
    > I have no idea what the difference between 256MB 1 DIMM and 256MB 2 DIMMS
    > is... [the 2 DIMMS option costs less for some reason; is this a worse
    > option, so to speak?..]. Please suggest. Many thanks!

    With 2 DIMMS. you've filled up 2 of your memory slots.

    With 1, you still have (at least) 1 available for expansion.

    Larry

    Lawrence Glasser, Nov 18, 2003

  3. They are asking you if you want 256 megs of memory comprised of a single
    256 meg module or comprised of two modules of 128 megs each.

    A single 256 meg module is better for a variety of reasons:

    -you will have a free slot for future expansion

    -DDR memory is not terribly stable, and it becomes less stable with more
    modules. To compensate for this, many systems relax the timing (e.g.
    slow down the memory system) as Dimms are added. It's not automatic
    across-the-board, but the system may actually perform better with a
    single 256 meg DIMM than with two 128's, although the difference, if
    there is one, isn't anything that you would ever see or notice without
    running a benchmark program. [this applies to desktop systems as well,
    by the way].

    However, as you noted, a single 256 module will cost more than two 128's
    because it has to be made with higher density, more expensive (even on a
    per-byte basis) parts.

    Barry Watzman, Nov 18, 2003
  4. Mark Shell

    scott Guest

    >Lawrence Glasser wrote in message news:<>...
    > > (I know that 'cause I have papers that say I'm educated)

    >Medic75
    >
    >papers you got from imeducated.com for $2.00

    .. .

    scott, Nov 18, 2003