    louisk Guest

    1 how come my pc3200 ram is running at 333mhz? i have a nf7-s with a
    2500+ cpu and it runs at 333...which setting do i make ram run at 400?

    louisk, Apr 19, 2004

  2. louisk

    BUFF Guest

    You get best performance on AMD plaform running the cpu & memory buses at
    the same speed & that is what the board defaults to doing.

    BUFF, Apr 19, 2004

  3. Don't worry about it, it's better that way.
    Memory performance is better in synchronous mode with boards for
    AMD-processors.

    Jens C. Hansen [Odense], Apr 19, 2004
  4. louisk

    F r e e Guest

    hi!
    where can i learn more about this?

    i just bought 400mhz ram and had to configure a 400mhz memory bus manually, the 'auto' setting puts it to 333 (like my processors fsb)

    thanks

    F r e e, Apr 19, 2004
  5. louisk

    Jim Guest

    If you *want* asynchronous FSB and memory, you can, simply go to the
    Advanced Chipset section of the BIOS and manually change the CPU FSB/DRAM
    ratio to 5:6 (it's probably set to By SPD).

    However, you're usually better off running "synchronous" (1:1), where the
    CPU FSB and memory run at the same speed, just works more efficiently, even
    if the memory *can* run slightly faster. The other alternative is to OC the
    CPU FSB and continue running 1:1. IOW, try OC'ing the CPU FSB in small
    increments, the memory will shadow it. Since the memory is PC3200, you have
    plenty of memory headroom all the way up to CPU FSB 400MHz (DDR) w/o causing
    the memory itself to OC. That's not to say the CPU FSB *will* OC that high,
    you'll just have to experiment.

    If you OC the CPU FSB in this fashion, you get three benefits. You can get
    more out of the processor, you get more out of the memory (compared to
    running at PC2700 speed), and you maintain synchronicity. Even a *mild* OC
    of the CPU FSB to say, 180MHz @ 1:1 will provide superior results to simple
    running the FSB and memory @ stock w/ 5:6.

    HTH

    Jim

    Jim, Apr 19, 2004
  6. louisk

    F r e e Guest

    very interesting! will experiment! :)

    F r e e, Apr 19, 2004
  7. louisk

    PRIVATE1964 Guest

    Leave it the same fsb as the CPU. It doesn't help to run it out of sync. You
    could raise the fsb and lower the mulitplier on the CPU thats possible wit
    hyour motherboard.
    I tesed my 400 DDR at 166, and out of sync at 435. It tested worse with Aida32
    running the ram overclocked at 435 and out of sync.

    PRIVATE1964, Apr 20, 2004