1. MessagEase Onscreen Keyboard 2. Other TPC Application programs

Discussion in 'Tablet PC' started by kofi, Dec 15, 2004.

  1. kofi

    kofi Guest

    Has anyone tried the MessagEase Onscreen Keyboard yet? What do you think? Is
    it usefull for use on the tablet PC - advantages? Do you think it could
    replace the real physical keyboard? I saw the banner ad and I watched some of
    the demo videos. The url is http://exideas.com/ME/tablet/

    Since am new to tablet PC am trying to gather comments on the possible
    application programs I would be using. So what about TEO 2.0 Outlook
    Enhancement? (http://www.tabletoutlook.com/Overview.aspx?ref=TabletPCBuzz).
    What are your comments recommendations etc. Which other similar products
    might have better advantages, why?

    I will be posting this kind of questions for other software products that I
    may use, but if you folks don't mind you could list here some of such
    products and your recommendations (especially for, but not limited to,
    college (mature) students - Biomedical Engineering). I wish there were a list
    somewhere that would catalogue recommended application programs/software and
    tools that every college student (OR USERS ACROSS THE BOARD) needs for/on
    his/her Tablet PC. Something general, or even categorized somehow......

    THank you guys, I know some good directions will come out from your inputs

    kofi, Dec 15, 2004

  2. As with anything, the tablet specific apps for input and such are really a
    personal choice. Some people love the MessageEase program, others have tried
    it and found it didn't do anything for them. About the only way you can
    evaluate utilities like that is to use them and see if they fit your personal
    style of tablet usage.

    The Outlook Enhancement is something that most tablet users I know really
    liked.

    GoBinder (www.agilix.com) is something many students (and a bunch of us
    non-students) use a great deal.

    They just had a "Does your app think in ink" contest, you can find the
    winners here:

    There are some good ones in there to look for.

    As far as recommendations, it really all depends on just what you plan on
    using your tablet for.

    You can find a great deal of info at some of the MVP sites:

    http://www.thetabletpc.net
    http://www.nicecreations.us
    http://www.tabletpc2.com
    http://www.abletfactory.com

    There are more apps out there than we'd realize. Just a quesiton of finding
    things that fill needs for each person, as each person's needs are different.

    Hope this helps some.

    JDThree [MVP], Dec 15, 2004

  3. kofi

    Chris H. Guest

    Personal opinion is I prefer the Tablet PC Edition 2005 with the new Tablet
    Input Panel instead of using a third-party add-on application for a
    "keyboard." It is very good, if your Tablet is a slate model and you need
    immediate access to a keyboard, but there is a learning curve with it.

    TEO also is an add-on, and most of the functionality you pay the money for
    used to be very good, however with the release of the Office 2003
    context-based recognition (
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...79-34ad-494d-8108-80085ace23be&displaylang=en )
    adding users now have most of the functionality without going to a third
    party. It still is a nice program, though, with the ability to use your own
    handwriting - plus it works with Exchange, if you need to run that.

    Chris H., Dec 15, 2004
  4. kofi

    kofi Guest

    CHRIS and JDThree: Thanks for your response. They are very helpful.

    kofi, Dec 15, 2004
  5. kofi

    kofi Guest

    I forgot to ask this: Can anyone explain to me what "blogging" is? Thanks

    kofi, Dec 15, 2004
  6. kofi

    Chris H. Guest

    "Blog" is a type of online diary (web log = blog) where people talk about
    all types of subjects. Some are shared, while others are their own personal
    opinions on varieties of subject. There's no limit to what a person can
    cover. You might want to do a search on www.google.com for "blog" or
    "weblog" and go through some of the thousands of answers.

    Chris H., Dec 15, 2004
  7. kofi

    Sharon F Guest

    I use Message Ease and like it. I find it to be a most handy interface in
    some situations. However, it is not my primary input program. I prefer the
    native TIP for most things. A regular keyboard gets dragged out on
    occasion for extensive typing (many pages).

    Since the new TIP was introduced with TPC 2005 it has replaced one of the
    tasks that Message Ease used to handle for me: entering URLs in the
    browser's address bar. I still find uses for Message Ease though and keep
    it installed.

    Have never tried TEO. So many programs, so little time...

    Sharon F, Dec 15, 2004
  8. kofi

    LorenT99 Guest

    I also use MessagEase on my Tablet PC, and rather extensively. It is my
    input method of choice, since it is much faster than anything else I
    have tried. They have one-stroke macros which allows me to capture and
    enter a whole sentence or paragraph with a single slide.

    But it has some learning curve. I suggest people to try it to see if it
    is for them.

    LorenT

    LorenT99, Dec 20, 2004
  9. kofi

    Sharon F Guest

    I agree that it takes a little bit of time to get comfortable with the
    program. I found that the little game they included in the download helped
    me to learn the position of the letters very quickly.

    Sharon F, Dec 21, 2004