    my wife and kids do not tend to abuse our LAN. The only thing is Netbooting.
    Does this eat a lot a server resources once the remote computer has booted ?

    Fireman

    Fire Man, Sep 7, 2004

  2. The server-specific applications will only run if you turn them on.
    So, if you leave Windows Services (SAMBA), DNS, FTP, web serving, mail
    etc. off, you're basically running an expensive 10.3 client install.

    A good number of these services are in the regular 10.3 OS, just without
    the GUI server management tools and a few other restrictions. Not sure
    about the NetBoot stuff, though.

    I'm not sure how it works out in 10.3 server, but my experience with
    10.1 server says that Windows Services (SAMBA) is the biggest resource
    hog of all. Writing documents and checking mail doesn't take much
    effort (despite the best efforts of a certain software company to use
    as much memory/cycles/etc as possible). Just don't try rendering video
    on the server if it's providing any kind of external services ;)

    David C. Stone, Sep 8, 2004

  3. Fire Man

    Art Gorski Guest

    Entity Fire Man spoke thus:
    Just be aware that some applications out there (can't give you any
    examples) are *not* compatible with Mac OS X Server.

    Art Gorski, Sep 9, 2004
  4. Fire Man

    Hans M. Aus Guest

    It's not trivial to set up and maintain an OSX server. I would stay with
    the standard OSX system and use Horn's SharePoints shareware if needed.

    Hans M. Aus, Sep 10, 2004
  5. Fire Man

    Simon Slavin Guest

    You don't need the Server version of the OS to do this.
    The Client version does everything you've listed.

    Simon.

    Simon Slavin, Sep 11, 2004