    I tried to force quit out of a program in 10.4.3 with
    command+shift+escape but it did not work.
    Any other ways?

    mediadrome, Dec 2, 2005

  2. mediadrome

    Leo Dekeo Guest

    cmd+option+escape ?

    Leo Dekeo, Dec 2, 2005

  3. mediadrome

    Tom Stiller Guest

    As far as I know, Cmd-Option-Esc is the sequence to bring up the "Force
    Quit" menu.

    Tom Stiller, Dec 2, 2005
  4. mediadrome

    Warren Oates Guest

    Also, you can "right click" (ctl-click on one-button mouses) on the
    unresponsive app's dock icon, which will bring up a force-quit option.

    Warren Oates, Dec 2, 2005
  5. mediadrome

    lp Guest

    If you start the 'activity monitor' it has an option to force quit an app.

    lp, Dec 2, 2005
  6. Option-Command-Esc brings up Force Quit Applications for me.

    I don't get a Force Quit menu when I Option-click on dock icons;
    does that somehow only work when they are in some special state?
    Control-click gets me a menu that has "Quit" on it.

    Christopher C. Stacy, Dec 3, 2005
  7. Control-click to get the dock's contextual menu, then while it's open
    press the option key and quit will change to force quit. If the program
    is not responding (either because it's busy or has crashed) then the
    default option is force quit.

    I don't remember anyone mentioning this yet in this thread, but you can
    also open the force quit window via the Apple menu. The catch is that if
    the application you're using has crashed then it's menu bar probably
    isn't working, so you need to switch to another application and use the
    Apple menu from there.

    http://roger.geek.nz/

    Roger Johnstone, Dec 3, 2005
  8. You have to Option-click and hold the mouse button down until the menu
    comes up.

    Johan W. Elzenga, Dec 3, 2005
  9. That doesn't seem to work on my system (latest Tiger): holding down
    the mouse on Option-click brings up the same menu as Control-click.
    Someone else has said that, from that menu, you can Option-click
    on the "Quit" item to make it do a Force Quit.

    But I've never had any problem accessing the Force Quit Applications
    menu from Option-Command-Esc (although sometimes you must switch
    to another application first).

    Christopher C. Stacy, Dec 3, 2005
  10. That's strange. If you click on the dock icon and hold the mouse down,
    you should get a menu (just like Cntr-click). Pressing and releasing the
    option key should change two things: 'Quit' becomes 'Forde Quit' and
    'Hide' becomes 'Hide Others'. The rest of the menu stays the same.
    That's with the latest Tiger (but has been like this for a long time).

    Johan W. Elzenga, Dec 3, 2005
  11. Weird: sometimes it works, exactly like you say, and sometimes it doesn't!
    Maybe it has something to do with the timing of the click and the shift.
    Or maybe there was something wrong with my keyboard or something.

    Christopher C. Stacy, Dec 4, 2005
  12. Correction: You have to option-control-click or option-right-click, and
    you don't have to hold the button down.

    Or you can just control-click or right-click, and *then* hold down the
    option key. While the Dock contextual menu is displayed, you can press or
    release the Option key to see whichever set of commands you want.

    Wayne C. Morris, Dec 4, 2005
  13. Sigh. Don't "correct" me, I know what I'm talking about. BOTH methods
    are possible. CNTR-click brings up the menu immediately, click and hold
    brings it up after a short delay.

    Johan W. Elzenga, Dec 6, 2005