    better, yep, that'll do it.

    Apologies in advance for the extensive use of jargon and complex
    performance statistics contained herein.

    John Steinberg, Jul 3, 2006

  2. John Steinberg

    Slipface Guest

    This may or may not be the right thread to post this observation, but
    here goes. Whenever I try to log into an account on our second
    computer (we have a G5 iMac and G4 Powerbook), I click the Network
    icon, and then the account I want to log into on that other computer.
    If that computer has gone to sleep, I get a message that it is
    searching for IP adress such and such. I usually realize at this point
    that the other computer is asleep, so I cancel the connect.

    The "searching for IP..." dialog box goes away but I'm left with a
    spinning beach ball in the Finder indefinitely. I always have to quit
    and relaunch the Finder. Frustrating.

    BTW, it happens this way on both computers, doesn't matter which one
    I'm on or trying to log into. I'm using an Airport Extreme Base
    Station, and running OS 10.4.7 on both.

    _d

    Slipface, Jul 5, 2006

  3. John Steinberg

    Slipface Guest

    Thanks for the reply. A couple comments/questions below:

    I followed up to this point. I tried to move the alias to the sidebar
    without putting it into a folder (I don't have a Favorites folder
    there--should I? I might have deleted it long ago?) Anyway, it
    wouldn't take it. That's sorta disappointing, because I need to leave
    the alias on the desktop (I try to keep desktop clutter down).

    Otherwise, I do really like having that alias there. It's made this
    much quicker, thank you :)
    I'm not familiar with Bonjour. Is that just the software that does all
    this networking muckity-muck? :)
    Yeah, my pizza ball may go away eventually--I just don't have the
    patience to watch it spin more than about 10 seconds, after which I
    kill it the hard way. I probably owe my system a good permissions
    repair after having abused it that way a couple times now ;-)

    thanks again for your helpful comments :)
    _d

    Slipface, Jul 7, 2006
  4. Because it doesn't exist yet. The sidebar holds pointers to things that
    exist.

    Niels Jørgen Kruse, Jul 7, 2006
  5. John Steinberg

    Slipface Guest

    Interesting. The alias *does* exist enough to survive on the desktop
    and inside a folder in the sidebar. I wonder why the sidebar excludes
    it when other parts of the Finder seem to be just fine with it?

    _d

    Slipface, Jul 8, 2006
  6. Sorry, I didn't check first. It is actually possible to
    option-command-drag items to the sidebar. The sidebar never show the
    alias modification of the icon though. Dragging an alias to the sidebar
    seems to be equivalent to dragging the item itself to the sidebar.

    Niels Jørgen Kruse, Jul 8, 2006