    --
    Deja Moo: I've seen this bullshit before. Please respond to:
    replacing invalid with sonic.

    Otto Pylot, May 23, 2014

  2. Otto Pylot

    Your Name Guest

    In article <220520141821521123%>, Otto Pylot
    <> wrote:

    > Finally upgraded my 2011 MB Air (10.7.5), 4GB memory to Mavericks.
    > Upgrade went very smoothly and took about 2 hours to download, install,
    > and optimize. Only one app was incompatible so that's not bad.
    >
    > The oddity is that when I press the Power button to shutdown, I have to
    > hold it in for about 6 seconds before the dialog box appears. Under
    > 10.7.5, just touching the power button resulted in the dialog box
    > appearing. Also, the response of the dock seems to be slow. Once the
    > dock has been activated once, the response is fast. My imagination or
    > what?

    No, it's a "feature" that was altered in the new version of Mac OS X.

    Holding down the power button for a "short" time puts the computer to
    sleep.

    Holding down the button for a "medium" time starts the shutdown process.

    Holding the button down for a "long" time performs a forced reboot.

    Your Name, May 23, 2014

  3. Otto Pylot

    Otto Pylot Guest

    In article <230520141344276660%>, Your Name
    <> wrote:

    > In article <220520141821521123%>, Otto Pylot
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > > Finally upgraded my 2011 MB Air (10.7.5), 4GB memory to Mavericks.
    > > Upgrade went very smoothly and took about 2 hours to download, install,
    > > and optimize. Only one app was incompatible so that's not bad.
    > >
    > > The oddity is that when I press the Power button to shutdown, I have to
    > > hold it in for about 6 seconds before the dialog box appears. Under
    > > 10.7.5, just touching the power button resulted in the dialog box
    > > appearing. Also, the response of the dock seems to be slow. Once the
    > > dock has been activated once, the response is fast. My imagination or
    > > what?

    > No, it's a "feature" that was altered in the new version of Mac OS X.
    >
    > Holding down the power button for a "short" time puts the computer to
    > sleep.
    >
    > Holding down the button for a "medium" time starts the shutdown process.
    >
    > Holding the button down for a "long" time performs a forced reboot.

    I see. Thanks.

    Otto Pylot, May 23, 2014
  4. Otto Pylot <> writes:

    > In article <230520141344276660%>, Your Name
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > > In article <220520141821521123%>, Otto Pylot
    > > <> wrote:
    > >
    > > > Finally upgraded my 2011 MB Air (10.7.5), 4GB memory to Mavericks.
    > > > Upgrade went very smoothly and took about 2 hours to download, install,
    > > > and optimize. Only one app was incompatible so that's not bad.
    > > >
    > > > The oddity is that when I press the Power button to shutdown, I have to
    > > > hold it in for about 6 seconds before the dialog box appears. Under
    > > > 10.7.5, just touching the power button resulted in the dialog box
    > > > appearing. Also, the response of the dock seems to be slow. Once the
    > > > dock has been activated once, the response is fast. My imagination or
    > > > what?

    > > No, it's a "feature" that was altered in the new version of Mac OS X.
    > >
    > > Holding down the power button for a "short" time puts the computer to
    > > sleep.
    > >
    > > Holding down the button for a "medium" time starts the shutdown process.
    > >
    > > Holding the button down for a "long" time performs a forced reboot.

    > I see. Thanks.

    Where short, medium and long are about 1, 3 and 5 seconds, respectively,
    and where "starts the shutdown process" means bring up a dialog box
    asking you what you want to do, and "performs a forced reboot" means
    turns the power off immediately (without a clean shutdown).

    Martin

    Martin Frost me at invalid stanford daht edu, May 23, 2014
  5. Otto Pylot

    Otto Pylot Guest

    In article <>, Martin Frost me at
    invalid stanford daht edu <> wrote:

    > Otto Pylot <> writes:
    >
    > > In article <230520141344276660%>, Your Name
    > > <> wrote:

    > > > No, it's a "feature" that was altered in the new version of Mac OS X.
    > > >
    > > > Holding down the power button for a "short" time puts the computer to
    > > > sleep.
    > > >
    > > > Holding down the button for a "medium" time starts the shutdown process.
    > > >
    > > > Holding the button down for a "long" time performs a forced reboot.

    > > I see. Thanks.

    > Where short, medium and long are about 1, 3 and 5 seconds, respectively,
    > and where "starts the shutdown process" means bring up a dialog box
    > asking you what you want to do, and "performs a forced reboot" means
    > turns the power off immediately (without a clean shutdown).
    >
    > Martin

    3 seconds is about right for the dialog box (trial and error). However,
    once I hit return the shutdown is almost instantaneous which is nice.
    The other oddity, as mentioned in my initial post is the Dock. The
    first time I access it it seems to hesitate before launching. After
    that, launch is fast and quick like it was under 10.7.5.

    Otto Pylot, May 23, 2014
  6. Otto Pylot

    Your Name Guest

    In article <>, Martin Frost me at
    invalid stanford daht edu <> wrote:
    > Otto Pylot <> writes:
    > > In article <230520141344276660%>, Your Name
    > > <> wrote:

    > > > No, it's a "feature" that was altered in the new version of Mac OS X.
    > > >
    > > > Holding down the power button for a "short" time puts the computer to
    > > > sleep.
    > > >
    > > > Holding down the button for a "medium" time starts the shutdown process.
    > > >
    > > > Holding the button down for a "long" time performs a forced reboot.

    > > I see. Thanks.

    > Where short, medium and long are about 1, 3 and 5 seconds, respectively,
    > and where "starts the shutdown process" means bring up a dialog box
    > asking you what you want to do, and "performs a forced reboot" means
    > turns the power off immediately (without a clean shutdown).

    Sorry, I meant Forced Shutdown ... got "reboot" on the brain thanks to
    all the silly Hollyweird movies.

    Your Name, May 23, 2014
  7. Otto Pylot

    Andy Guest

    Your Name <> wrote:

    > In article <220520141821521123%>, Otto Pylot
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > > Finally upgraded my 2011 MB Air (10.7.5), 4GB memory to Mavericks.
    > > Upgrade went very smoothly and took about 2 hours to download, install,
    > > and optimize. Only one app was incompatible so that's not bad.
    > >
    > > The oddity is that when I press the Power button to shutdown, I have to
    > > hold it in for about 6 seconds before the dialog box appears. Under
    > > 10.7.5, just touching the power button resulted in the dialog box
    > > appearing. Also, the response of the dock seems to be slow. Once the
    > > dock has been activated once, the response is fast. My imagination or
    > > what?

    > No, it's a "feature" that was altered in the new version of Mac OS X.

    I thought this came in a while back, perhaps in 10.8 wasn't it? (I
    notice the OP has jumped from 10.7)

    --
    Andy Hewitt
    <http://andy-hewitt.me.uk>

    Andy, May 24, 2014
  8. Otto Pylot

    Your Name Guest

    In article <1lm54ab.1cseqm517y1hleN%>, Andy
    <> wrote:
    > Your Name <> wrote:
    > > In article <220520141821521123%>, Otto Pylot
    > > <> wrote:
    > > >
    > > > Finally upgraded my 2011 MB Air (10.7.5), 4GB memory to Mavericks.
    > > > Upgrade went very smoothly and took about 2 hours to download, install,
    > > > and optimize. Only one app was incompatible so that's not bad.
    > > >
    > > > The oddity is that when I press the Power button to shutdown, I have to
    > > > hold it in for about 6 seconds before the dialog box appears. Under
    > > > 10.7.5, just touching the power button resulted in the dialog box
    > > > appearing. Also, the response of the dock seems to be slow. Once the
    > > > dock has been activated once, the response is fast. My imagination or
    > > > what?

    > > No, it's a "feature" that was altered in the new version of Mac OS X.

    > I thought this came in a while back, perhaps in 10.8 wasn't it? (I
    > notice the OP has jumped from 10.7)

    I really meant "new version" as in the version new to the original
    poster, rather than specifically 10.9, but checking the magazine I read
    about this change in, it was apparently in Mavericks ... of course the
    magazine could be wrong (it wouldn't be the first time they've said
    something is new when it's been there for a while).

    Your Name, May 24, 2014