    appearing. Also, the response of the dock seems to be slow. Once the
    dock has been activated once, the response is fast. My imagination or
    what?

    Otto Pylot, May 23, 2014

  2. Otto Pylot

    Your Name Guest

    No, it's a "feature" that was altered in the new version of Mac OS X.

    Holding down the power button for a "short" time puts the computer to
    sleep.

    Holding down the button for a "medium" time starts the shutdown process.

    Holding the button down for a "long" time performs a forced reboot.

    Your Name, May 23, 2014

  3. Otto Pylot

    Otto Pylot Guest

    I see. Thanks.

    Otto Pylot, May 23, 2014
  4. Where short, medium and long are about 1, 3 and 5 seconds, respectively,
    and where "starts the shutdown process" means bring up a dialog box
    asking you what you want to do, and "performs a forced reboot" means
    turns the power off immediately (without a clean shutdown).

    Martin

    Martin Frost me at invalid stanford daht edu, May 23, 2014
  5. Otto Pylot

    Otto Pylot Guest

    3 seconds is about right for the dialog box (trial and error). However,
    once I hit return the shutdown is almost instantaneous which is nice.
    The other oddity, as mentioned in my initial post is the Dock. The
    first time I access it it seems to hesitate before launching. After
    that, launch is fast and quick like it was under 10.7.5.

    Otto Pylot, May 23, 2014
  6. Otto Pylot

    Your Name Guest

    Sorry, I meant Forced Shutdown ... got "reboot" on the brain thanks to
    all the silly Hollyweird movies.

    Your Name, May 23, 2014
  7. Otto Pylot

    Andy Guest

    I thought this came in a while back, perhaps in 10.8 wasn't it? (I
    notice the OP has jumped from 10.7)

    Andy, May 24, 2014
  8. Otto Pylot

    Your Name Guest

    I really meant "new version" as in the version new to the original
    poster, rather than specifically 10.9, but checking the magazine I read
    about this change in, it was apparently in Mavericks ... of course the
    magazine could be wrong (it wouldn't be the first time they've said
    something is new when it's been there for a while).

    Your Name, May 24, 2014