100% CPU usage distorts sound on SB PCI128/KT7 RAID MB?

Discussion in 'Abit' started by Tony Toews, Sep 29, 2003.

  1. Tony Toews

    Tony Toews Guest

    Folks

    I run SETI in the background all the time at the lowest priority. However when I go
    to listen to music with either WMP or Music Match I get the distorted sound problem.

    Pauls KT7 FAQ states the following.

    This problem is reported with BIOS versions ZT and 3C and can be cured by enabling
    "PCI master read caching" in the BIOS.

    Done although I'm at the latest BIOS.

    Additionally it may be necessary to set the "K7 CLK_CTL" to "optimal".

    Doesn't exist

    Enabling Delay Transaction may also help.

    Done.

    Disabling V-sync on your graphics card can resolve crackling with 3D games.

    No idea how to do this.

    Use version 2.0.0925 or later of Highpoint drivers.

    Latest drivers installed.

    Note if you experience problems with the mouse wheel or joystick buttons not working
    when the PCI128 is installed, disabling the Soundblaster legacy device in Device
    Manager can help.

    I've reserved IRQ 5 for DOS purposes just in case that would help.

    Increase the I/O voltage in the BIOS

    How much should I increase the I/O voltage.

    I've also updated the MB Bios and installed all the latest abit, highpoint and via
    drivers.

    Win XP SP1
    Matrox G450 dual head

    I don't see any hits much mention CPU usage as a factor at groups.google.com but
    maybe I'm not searching on the right criteria.

    Any ideas?

    Finally what, preferably Sound Blaster, sound card exists that doesn't have any
    problems with the KT7?

    Tony
    --
    Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP
    read the entire thread of messages.

    Tony Toews, Sep 29, 2003

  2. Tony Toews

    Chris Miller Guest

    I had the same problem in Windows 2000 and Windows XP because of the
    highpoint drivers. The highpoint drivers BLOW for Windows (fine for Linux
    though, of course :p)

    -Chris

    Chris Miller, Sep 29, 2003

  3. Tony Toews

    Skid Guest

    Tony,

    I had an SB PCI in my KT7A for a couple of years with no problems. Never
    used SETI, but I maxed the cpu every chance I got ;>) Sound quality was
    acceptable, but Creative's software and support really suck.

    If the bios settings don't help, you might try the VIA PCI latency patch at
    http://www.georgebreese.com/net/software/

    Beyond that, the most trouble-free sound cards these days do NOT come from
    Creative. The Turtle Beach Santa Cruz and Hercules Fortissimo series are
    highly recommended and have better drivers.

    Skid, Sep 29, 2003
  4. Tony Toews

    Tony Toews Guest

    Didn't help.
    Ok, I'll see what the local computer store has.

    Thanks, Tony

    Tony Toews, Oct 3, 2003
  5. Tony Toews

    Enkidu Guest

    100% CPU usage sounds like a driver problem to me. Try a different flavor.

    Enkidu

    Enkidu, Oct 3, 2003