    need to repair a broken one and would appreciate any help!!

    Thanks!
    Mikey

    Mikey, Apr 25, 2004

  2. Mikey

    *Vanguard* Guest

    "Mikey" said in news::
    You have a clean room? You have the equipment needed to align the
    heads? If you're going to have a hard disk repaired - a highly
    unprofitable means of replacing a drive - then you'll need to find a
    company that will do that for you. More likely and far cheaper is that
    you want the data off the bad disk and will use a recovery service that
    can extract the platters and access them directly.

    *Vanguard*, Apr 25, 2004

  3. Mikey

    Mikey Guest

    Most of the recovery places want $2,000 to inspect and TRY to recover
    the data. Are there less expensive ways to recover this drive?

    Mikey, Apr 25, 2004
  4. Mikey

    DevilsPGD Guest

    In message <<>> "*Vanguard*"
    It depends... Could be a broken/damaged controller, which can be
    replaced without a cleanroom.

    DevilsPGD, Apr 25, 2004
  5. Mikey

    ray Guest

    what exactly is the problem... if its jst a bust controller or a
    format gone very wrong, it doesn't need such an expensive solution

    ray, Apr 26, 2004
  6. Mikey

    DevilsPGD Guest

    It depends... If it's a format or something software related, then
    another drive probably wouldn't make a difference.

    If it's a damaged controlled, the easiest/cheapest way is often to find
    an identical drive and swap out the controllers.

    Alternatively, it could be a reporting-SMART-errors drive in a RAID
    array where the user needs to swap out the physical drive with a working
    one before the current one dies (or another one in the array gives up)

    DevilsPGD, Apr 26, 2004