    The manual tells me, "Do not insert the power supply cables into pins
    under the protective covers when using a power supply providing a 2x2
    12V connector." But the board came with no covers on any of the pins.

    Jonathan Sachs, Sep 29, 2009

  2. Jonathan Sachs

    andy Guest

    The connector is physically keyed, so it can only be plugged in one
    way. The manual also tells you which pins are for 2x4 connector only.

    andy, Sep 29, 2009

  3. Jonathan Sachs

    Paul Guest

    http://www.playtool.com/pages/psuconnectors/eps.jpg

    <- 2x2 ->
    __ __ __ __
    | | /b \ /c \ | |
    |__| |__| |__| |__|
    __ __ __ __
    /a \ | | | | /d \
    |__| |__| |__| |__|

    <<latch>>

    The four angled pins (a-d), prevent rotation and incorrect
    insertion of the connector. The latch feature, should help
    guide the proper compass point for insert.

    This picture shows the final result. I tried to draw
    my picture, to sorta match this.

    http://www.playtool.com/pages/psuconnectors/4pinin8.jpg

    (More connector info on this page. Worth a read.)

    http://www.playtool.com/pages/psuconnectors/connectors.html

    If the documentation is any good, it should mark four
    pins on one (long) side as being +12V. The yellow wires on the
    power supply connector should match up with those pins. That
    would be a consistency check for correctness. Stop, if
    the yellow wires aren't on the 12V side.

    The diagram in the manual has numbers on it. An adjacent table
    identifies the pins for usage with a 2x2. They'd be 3,4,7,8.
    I'd probably have used a different notation, such as putting
    text next to 3,4,7,8 saying "stick 2x2 here". In any case, the
    keying feature should guide the insertion, and then the
    results can be compared to the table, just to be sure.

    1 GND (Only for 2x4 pin 12V)
    2 GND (Only for 2x4 pin 12V)
    3 GND <---
    4 GND <---