    system still works the same - what is this plug for ?? and why does the book
    say it must be connected for the system to boot??

    thanks

    chris, Jan 4, 2005

  2. chris

    Dee Guest

    The 4-wire +12v lead supplies power directly to the CPU. It is supposed
    to ensure the CPU has adequate and stable voltage. Most MBs will boot
    without that line connected and a few will not.

    Dee, Jan 4, 2005

  3. chris

    chris Guest

    i thought it might be something like that

    Thanks

    chris, Jan 4, 2005
  4. Thus spake chris:
    The pin in the ATX connector are only rated for 6 amps each. Since
    most current boards power the CPU voltage regulators from 12V - and
    there's only one 12V line in the ATX - the standard ATX connector
    would limit CPUs to around 65 watts.

    By adding in that auxiliary 12V connector, with an extra pair of 12V's
    and grounds, the CPU can get its power without exceeding the
    connector's rating.

    For what it worth, you CAN get more than 6 amps per pin through the
    ATX, but trying to draw more current increases the voltage drop across
    the connector and risks having the connector over heat, melt, and
    burn.

    http://www2.arnes.si/~mlivak/burned atx2.jpg
    http://www.halfdone.com/personal/jo...urning_and_exploding/Burned_ATX_connector.jpg

    Satan's Little Sister, Jan 4, 2005
  5. chris

    anthony Guest

    yup must agree on the over heating I installed the connector and my board
    temp went straight down lol I forgot to connect it heck I dont remember
    seeing it lol

    Anthony

    anthony, Jan 4, 2005